PDA

View Full Version : Networked Mac not logging in

jeffmorr
Aug 5, 2011, 05:31 PM
Hey guys, my computer is a school-given MacBook Pro, and I just recently started having a login issue. Since the laptop's login, administrator, and account info is all from our school's servers, I think this is the right thread to post my situation.

When I log in, under the name of my school, it says "Network Accounts Unavailable" with a red light. Usually the light is yellow, but still the same writing. Sometimes the light is green. I am not on my school's network, but I am on a WiFi that was recognized and worked for the last few weeks. I cannot go to school at this time to fix the issue.

Any help?

MisterMe
Aug 5, 2011, 07:23 PM
You have given zero (0) information about your school's network. Perhaps it does not allow logins from outside its LAN. In this event, it is sometimes possible to use a VPN to login from the outside.

jeffmorr
Aug 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
I know that I do not know very much about my school's network, but I am positive that the laptop's OS is designed for it to be logged in while not on the school's network. I have had the laptop for more than a year, taken it home every night, and used it on vacations to the other side of the world. I have never had this problem last more than a few hours.

MisterMe
Aug 6, 2011, 05:58 PM
The fact that you know nothing about your network does not help diagnose your "problem." I find it interesting that you have been on the network for about a year. Lacking evidence to the contrary, my hypothesis is that your credentials on your school's network expired in preparation for the new school year. You may have to wait until you return to school to have your credentials reinstated or to have new credentials issued.

AtomicGrog
Aug 7, 2011, 08:15 PM
I tend to agree with the previous poster, looks like you need to take it back to the school and ask them to resolve the issue.

I had a simular setup/problem with my daughter's laptop - albeit a Windows based machine. She had to wait 2 weeks to get back to school when she locked it up.