PDA

View Full Version : So, does the Keyboard leave marks on the screen when in a bag?

eurosat
Aug 5, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hi,

I've got my '11 MBA for more than two weeks now, and I simply love it (my first Mac). When I'll be on the go, I plan to put it in a well-padded sleeve which is going to slip into my Messenger Bag. The other things in this bag are a large binder and / or some books.

I'm pretty sure that the Air is safe in its sleeve and the Laptop compartment of the bag, though I'm a bit paranoid of trying it out...

Has anyone had the issue of permanent keyboard marks on the screen of his / her 2010 or 2011 MBA?

Thanks in advance

3bs
Aug 5, 2011, 07:10 PM
I don't think I've ever had any marks on my screen. Not from the keyboard. I do use a sleeve from time to time and put that sleeve in my bag. Don't think you should have any trouble there

eurosat
Aug 5, 2011, 07:12 PM
Nice to hear that. What do you carry in your bag?

eckthroi
Aug 5, 2011, 08:52 PM
Im curious about this too. I am thinking of buying a moshi shieldpad for my 11" because of my fear about this. Please anyone respond before I possibly waste money.

eurosat
Aug 6, 2011, 06:33 AM
Some additional Info: I've googled this topic and all threads with people having such an issue were related to the 2008 model. That makes me think that this can't happen with today's model.

pcines
Jan 7, 2012, 11:13 PM
Yes, unfortunately, my macbook air keyboard left marks on my screen. I HATE IT. It left outlines of all of the keys, the trackpad, and that space between the keyboard and the trackpad. It looks awful. I've always used a case, the BookBook (look it up, its awesome) and i'm so disappointed. I'm thinking of getting a screen protector.

chrono1081
Jan 7, 2012, 11:44 PM
Any laptop has the potential to get marks on the screen if enough pressure is applied to it long enough.

That being said my air has never gotten any marks *knock on wood* and its usually crammed in a sleeve inside a well stuffed backpack.

Robyr
Jan 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
Is it really that big of a deal to just clean the screen? I mean seriously.

My MBA has never had any marks left on the screen. My MBP had them, but its simply from the oils on the keys. Wiped right away.

I am beginning to think that many Mac users are hypochondriacs.

glen e
Jan 8, 2012, 09:09 AM

absolutely, search "battery" = LOL

Robyr
Jan 8, 2012, 09:30 AM
absolutely, search "battery" = LOL

Hehe, to be fair, modern battery technology is magic to most people.

TheRealDamager
Jan 8, 2012, 09:33 AM
This can happen if you carry the unit in a bag where it gets lots or pressure (books in a backpack for example). Some people recommend a keyboard cloth - you just lay it down before you close the unit.

TheJing
Jan 8, 2012, 09:41 AM
I get marks on my screens but that's from the keyboard protection not the keyboard itself.

connorxxl
Jan 8, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hello,

I had this problem with a brandnew 2011 Air. Could clearly see the first two rows of keys on my display, sometimes dust on a screen is an advantage.
My shop told me to use a cloth between keyboard and screen, now no more problems (although it looks a bit weird to remove the cloth and out it in again).

Not sure if that's a common problem with the 2011 model. My shop was not surprised...

Chris

Robyr
Jan 8, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hello,

I had this problem with a brandnew 2011 Air. Could clearly see the first two rows of keys on my display, sometimes dust on a screen is an advantage.
My shop told me to use a cloth between keyboard and screen, now no more problems (although it looks a bit weird to remove the cloth and out it in again).

Not sure if that's a common problem with the 2011 model. My shop was not surprised...

Chris

Or, do nothing, realize that the marks are cleanable and not even seen when the backlight is on, and get on with your life.

GekkePrutser
Jan 8, 2012, 02:46 PM
I just posted it in the other topic that was just started about it but yes, people have been having problems with it, especially when pressure is put on the case.

Check out this topic (with pics): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1234731

WstCstCmtr
Jan 8, 2012, 03:47 PM

My MBA has never had any marks left on the screen. My MBP had them, but its simply from the oils on the keys. Wiped right away.

The marks don't "clean off". The problem is with pressure and a little movement in any direction there is a potential for the keys to rub the screen. Effectively etching it. It not cleanable.

----------

This is exactly why I have been looking for some sort of Rigid case/briefcase/bag. I started a thread about it but not much interest.

A backpack that had a rigid laptop compartment would be cool.

My other idea was like a pelican case with cut to fit foam. Could be cool. Everything has it's own place in the foam.

MBHockey
Jan 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
i've always used Radtech's ScreenSavrz with my mac portables to keep the keys from hitting the screen. But i've read on here and on amazon that the radtech cloths are too thick for the MacBook Air to properly close. anyone know of any other, thinner products that are similar? on their site radtech only gives the length and width dimensions, but not the depth of the cloth.

I realize this is a bit over the top OCD but I like to take good care of my Macs.

WstCstCmtr
Jan 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
I don't think it is over the top. They get compressed and they will leave permanent marks on the screen! It's a big investment, might as well spend 20$ more to protect it.

People that don't understand and think the marks wipe away have never *really* traveled with their laptop.

Robyr
Jan 8, 2012, 06:38 PM
I don't think it is over the top. They get compressed and they will leave permanent marks on the screen! It's a big investment, might as well spend 20$ more to protect it.

People that don't understand and think the marks wipe away have never *really* traveled with their laptop.

Not only do I friggin BIKE COMMUTE with my Air, I did the exact same with my Pro. The Pro did get smudges, but it seriously just oils from the keys. I want ONE picture of a plastic key scratching a screen. I have seen no evidence besides the thread posted earlier, and that looked like genuine misuse. No piece of cloth is going to stop the trackpad bridge from impressing the screen when the notebook is compressed.

Waste your money all you want. A fool is born every minute, and companies will gladly take your money.

PinkyMacGodess
Jan 8, 2012, 07:53 PM
My original MacBook Pro did leave permanent marks on the screen. I have a keyboard condom on my newer MBP and it leaves marks too but they do eventually scrub off. I use a 3M auto finishing cloth that works above anything that I have ever tried before and it just erases the damn smudges, and cleans my glasses and car windows spotless. I think they are the 06016 and come 6 in a bag and work even after being washed/dried and keep their shape and don't curl or fall apart like some of the cheaper brands do.

digitalhen
Jan 8, 2012, 09:29 PM
My Sony SZ's screen was badly damaged by the palm rest, and the keys. It deeply etched the screen. So it can happen.

That said, my Pro glossy often gets keyboard prints, which wipe away. My Pro high res (with the slightly recessed screen) has never had any problems at all.

My current 11" Air is sporting a Shaggymac protector, but it's getting to be a hassle. I'll probably just live without except when traveling on planes etc.

WstCstCmtr
Jan 8, 2012, 11:04 PM
Not only do I friggin BIKE COMMUTE with my Air, I did the exact same with my Pro. The Pro did get smudges, but it seriously just oils from the keys. I want ONE picture of a plastic key scratching a screen. I have seen no evidence besides the thread posted earlier, and that looked like genuine misuse. No piece of cloth is going to stop the trackpad bridge from impressing the screen when the notebook is compressed.

Waste your money all you want. A fool is born every minute, and companies will gladly take your money.

Ok so. Mac in a backpack while riding a bike is not traveling. Try traveling 250k miles a year via plane, train, bus, boat. The whole point is that if the bag gets COMPRESSED (kinda hard to do on your back) it will cause friction. Not too hard to understand that.

On my old macbook you don't have to see anything on the screen. you can actually feel the ruts.

Please, a bike commute is probably easier on it than most other forms of commuting.

p.s. I commute train to flight to connection to work everyweek. 9 hours minimum. Bags get squished.

Robyr
Jan 9, 2012, 01:35 AM
Ok so. Mac in a backpack while riding a bike is not traveling. Try traveling 250k miles a year via plane, train, bus, boat. The whole point is that if the bag gets COMPRESSED (kinda hard to do on your back) it will cause friction. Not too hard to understand that.

On my old macbook you don't have to see anything on the screen. you can actually feel the ruts.

Please, a bike commute is probably easier on it than most other forms of commuting.

p.s. I commute train to flight to connection to work everyweek. 9 hours minimum. Bags get squished.

I am still waiting on proof. Out side of misuse, I posit that it can NEVER damage the notebook. Don't compress your $1k+ machine? Or, better yet, since "bags get squished" be cognizant of your equipment. In any case, if you are compressing the Air in some way that the keyboard and trackpad bridge can touch, it is misuse. Plain and simple.

You are a truly odd person that thinks a 15 mile bike commute through all conditions is somehow easier on equipment than milling your self through a line at the airport. Also, my laptop and other equipment is strapped to a hard metal rack, not my relatively soft back. It would be the equivalent to you going through the airport is suppose..... if the airport was a cement mixer.

EDIT: I also like your attempt at being an elitist. I travel to some of the worst areas in southeast Asia regularly for security audits of new acquisitions. You don't know the half of travelling hard. The beach in Spain isn't some wonderfeat to reach, bud.

anirudh
Jan 9, 2012, 02:41 AM
There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion here. I think it would make things much clearer if everyone commenting would point out how they carry their Airs. Backpacks, cases, padded/ hard sleeves, dedicated pouch in the bag etc.

It might help future buyers and new Air owners like me who frankly speaking is scared about the marks after reading a few threads:eek:

glen e
Jan 9, 2012, 08:03 AM
There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion here. I think it would make things much clearer if everyone commenting would point out how they carry their Airs. Backpacks, cases, padded/ hard sleeves, dedicated pouch in the bag etc.

It might help future buyers and new Air owners like me who frankly speaking is scared about the marks after reading a few threads:eek:

who the hell gets "scared"? Put a piece of cloth inside and never have a problem - So many people here can create these huge problems and then there are others that read it and run away, jump back in bed and wait for the apocalypse next december. Yes, I run with scissors and have no problems...

I run a ipad2, a MBA in a timbuk2 Commute 2.0 loaded with a projector and the MBA in a Bookbook - it's crammed and never the dreaded "key" problem...

anirudh
Jan 9, 2012, 09:01 AM
who the hell gets "scared"?

For someone living in a country where Apple doesn't replace stuff just like that. If I were to say, have a few marks on my screen, the guys at the Apple Reseller here (yeah, no Apple Stores) would just try to blame the whole thing on me. Yeah, thanks for pointing out I could put a cloth between the screen and the case. As if I didn't read that already from so many posts. But since its a little cumbersome, I just wanted to check if its coz people just put their Airs with other stuff or does it occur even when you put it in a sleeve.

Assuming someone should react to a problem like you do is just plain ignorant.

glen e
Jan 9, 2012, 09:17 AM
For someone living in a country where Apple doesn't replace stuff just like that. If I were to say, have a few marks on my screen, the guys at the Apple Reseller here (yeah, no Apple Stores) would just try to blame the whole thing on me. Yeah, thanks for pointing out I could put a cloth between the screen and the case. As if I didn't read that already from so many posts. But since its a little cumbersome, I just wanted to check if its coz people just put their Airs with other stuff or does it occur even when you put it in a sleeve.

then sell it....get a dell....

anirudh
Jan 9, 2012, 09:27 AM
So very helpful! If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, save your time and don't reply to my question.

Robyr
Jan 9, 2012, 09:29 AM

That's just it though, the only problem is applying a force to the entire top of the notebook. Stop doing that. Be cognizant of the very real danger to sensitive equipment in every day life.

"Doc, Whenever I drink coffee, I have this sharp, excruciating pain."
"Try to remember to remove the spoon from the cup before drinking."

WstCstCmtr
Jan 9, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ok. Next time I go through customs in China or Russia I will be more careful while they take my bags from me to go search them out of my prescence. To come back on the bottom of the pile.

Elitist? No, just stating that I travel more than anyone you know. Back door elitist talking about your 15 mile bike ride, woohoo.

Well buddy, I don't own a car. Just a 1972 Peugeot 10 speed.

minnus
Jan 9, 2012, 05:18 PM
I am still waiting on proof. Out side of misuse, I posit that it can NEVER damage the notebook. Don't compress your $1k+ machine? Or, better yet, since "bags get squished" be cognizant of your equipment. In any case, if you are compressing the Air in some way that the keyboard and trackpad bridge can touch, it is misuse. Plain and simple.

You are a truly odd person that thinks a 15 mile bike commute through all conditions is somehow easier on equipment than milling your self through a line at the airport. Also, my laptop and other equipment is strapped to a hard metal rack, not my relatively soft back. It would be the equivalent to you going through the airport is suppose..... if the airport was a cement mixer.

EDIT: I also like your attempt at being an elitist. I travel to some of the worst areas in southeast Asia regularly for security audits of new acquisitions. You don't know the half of travelling hard. The beach in Spain isn't some wonderfeat to reach, bud.

Given the type of responses you have given, you are clearly a troll to be ignored.

Yes, I started the other thread, and it has happened to me on multiple occasions with Apple fixing my screen. It is certainly NOT misuse. The Apple Store Genius employee demonstrated to me that these screens flex VERY easily - the problem is just not apparent on other Macs because they are thicker, and has a layer of glass for protection. NORMAL usage can cause this flex. Due to the form factor, it only requires a 'little' flex for the screen to press on the trackpad bridge.

gentlefury
Jan 9, 2012, 05:32 PM
I've never seen keyboard marks on my screen (I have on previous non-mac laptops) and I take mine with me everywhere.

MBHockey
Jan 9, 2012, 05:35 PM
My titanium powerbook G4 had keyboard marks "etched" into the screen. I've always used a cloth since.

eurosat
Jan 11, 2012, 06:06 AM
Well, after using it for 5 months now I got my own experience and found out that there is no reason for my initial doubts. I always carry the MBA in a sleeve which goes right into the laptop compartment of my Messenger Bag, which has a lot of books in it.
I can't see any marks (except some smudges ;) ) on my screen, so if people handle their mac with normal care, nothing bad should happen to it.

Guess this thread is answered. Thanks for your replies.

Eurosat

firewood
Jan 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
Oiled skin flakes and dust that falls on or between the keys will get on the display of a closed MBA that's been carried and shaken around. It can leave hard to clean imprints of the gaps between the keys and around the trackpad where this goop can accumulate. Shake the MBA keyboard out upside down before closing it to minimize this stuff. I use a light wipe of a micro-fiber auto polishing cloth to clean some of this up both before closing and after opening by MBA.

If you get any really hard dust in your area (even centuries old wind-blown microscopic volcanic dust), and it falls on top of the keycaps, this stuff can scratch the display of a closed MBA if squeezed (say under a pile of books in a book bag). If you get his kind of dust, you might want to put a sheet of clean paper over the keyboard before closing your MBA and putting it in a bag or under anything heavy.

akdj
Jan 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
No need to buy a protector...Apple ships ALL laptops with a form fit key protection piece o' cloth. I'm anal...run a business and we've got several Mac laptops. I've still got the key protect cloth from an '09 15".

When I travel, I use 'em... always figured there was a reason Apple packed 'em like this when shipping out

Never (in 7 years of owning Mac laptops) have I seen any type of 'key imprint'. Well over a dozen laptops...including 4 Airs. 2-2011, 1-2010, and an original. No issues and they go everywhere!

As always...ymmv

J

sn424
Jan 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
I have a pressure imprint of the area between the keyboard and the trackpad. My MBA has always been carried in a padded sleeve (I was worried about scrapes and scratches) and that is in a laptop padded pocket in a backpack when I travel. This MBA is really coddled but it still got pressure marks. I think the case tolerances are quite close so I suspect some MBAs will always get pressure marks - I might get some engineers blue and test that theory.

I don't get keymarks because I regularly clean the keyboard and screen.

minnus
Jan 12, 2012, 11:33 AM
I have a pressure imprint of the area between the keyboard and the trackpad. My MBA has always been carried in a padded sleeve (I was worried about scrapes and scratches) and that is in a laptop padded pocket in a backpack when I travel. This MBA is really coddled but it still got pressure marks. I think the case tolerances are quite close so I suspect some MBAs will always get pressure marks - I might get some engineers blue and test that theory.

I don't get keymarks because I regularly clean the keyboard and screen.

Do you regularly keep a cloth in between by chance? I am trying to determine if that makes all the difference.

doktordoris
Jan 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Oiled skin flakes and dust that falls on or between the keys will get on the display of a closed MBA that's been carried and shaken around. It can leave hard to clean imprints of the gaps between the keys and around the trackpad where this goop can accumulate. Shake the MBA keyboard out upside down before closing it to minimize this stuff. I use a light wipe of a micro-fiber auto polishing cloth to clean some of this up both before closing and after opening by MBA.

If you get any really hard dust in your area (even centuries old wind-blown microscopic volcanic dust), and it falls on top of the keycaps, this stuff can scratch the display of a closed MBA if squeezed (say under a pile of books in a book bag). If you get his kind of dust, you might want to put a sheet of clean paper over the keyboard before closing your MBA and putting it in a bag or under anything heavy.

Ahh, that makes sense. I have been sat here wondering how fairly soft plastic keys could scratch "glass". I didn't think about hard particulates getting between the 2.

Fast Shadow
Jan 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
I always, always use one of these. It totally protects the display from being marked up and it double as a cleaning cloth.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx

Ric WRX
Jan 12, 2012, 02:34 PM
I always, always use one of these. It totally protects the display from being marked up and it double as a cleaning cloth.

I received mine yesterday

minnus
Jan 12, 2012, 02:52 PM

How does it fit? Does it put any stress on the hinge?

Fast Shadow
Jan 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
How does it fit? Does it put any stress on the hinge?

Fits fine, no stress (but I have a Macbook Pro if that matters)

I'm planning getting an Air soon, too.

sn424
Jan 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
Do you regularly keep a cloth in between by chance? I am trying to determine if that makes all the difference.

I don't but I doubt it would make a difference. Is the cause of the pressure marks are clearance then a cloth is just going to reduce it even more. The only way I could see it work was if the cloth got between the rubber trim and the palmrests to stop the lip from completely closing.

minnus
Jan 12, 2012, 06:27 PM
I don't but I doubt it would make a difference. Is the cause of the pressure marks are clearance then a cloth is just going to reduce it even more. The only way I could see it work was if the cloth got between the rubber trim and the palmrests to stop the lip from completely closing.

You're right - as bad as it sounds, I was hoping you would say that you did keep a cloth in between - and prove that it does not provide protect. At this point, I am willing to gamble $20 to see if it does.

anirudh
Jan 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
Most people have reported pressure marks from the area between the trackpad and the space bar. Does anyone have marks of any other area? Coz if not, then I am thinking even a small microfiber cloth (the one i got with my playbook) should be just fine.

Bob Coxner
Jan 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
I just ordered one of the Radtech covers directly from Radtech. Use the promo code 2PROMO10 to get 10% off.

Amazon has the 11" MBA with free shipping but not the 13" MBA.

FuNGi
Jan 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
This can happen if you carry the unit in a bag where it gets lots or pressure (books in a backpack for example). Some people recommend a keyboard cloth - you just lay it down before you close the unit.

This. Throw in a ShaggyMac cloth to avoid the key imprint if you are worried. My 2010 13" air and my old ladies 2010 11" both got an imprint. Yeah, maybe it wipes right off but with these thin plastic screens I'm a little more concerned about scratching etc. The ShaggyMac can also be used to dust it off.

In my opinion there are allot of hypochondri(m)acs out there but this is a legitimate concern given the thinness and flexibility of the Air's screen.

Votekinky06
Jan 13, 2012, 11:54 AM

Is this just a sheet, or is it somehow held in place?

chrono1081
Jan 13, 2012, 12:11 PM

I think the OP is talking about embedded marks, not just marks you can clean off. Some laptops *cough* HP *cough* are pretty good at getting keys that cut in to the surface of the screen.

Bob Coxner
Jan 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Is this just a sheet, or is it somehow held in place?

It's just a sheet. It's held in place by closing the lid on your Air. :-)

Votekinky06
Jan 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
It's just a sheet. It's held in place by closing the lid on your Air. :-)

I know, silly question, just thought the bottom side might be grippy silicon or something:o

ixodes
Jan 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have no problems carrying mine in a backpack with books & other small items. Common sense tells one to avoid over packing the bag.

There are a few guys I know that have key marks on their displays that won't wipe off. Yet if you took a look at the exterior of the backpack all stained and scuffed, you'd know why. It's a computer, not to be tossed about. These guys stuff their bags so full it's amazing they haven't broken a screen.

Just a little precaution goes a long way. I'm 100% happy with mine. Not a hiccup since day one. It's why I use Macs.

minnus
Jan 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Fact of the matter is that the MBA is ridiculous fragile that it can be damage from being in a bag with other things. Perhaps YOU can get away with a simple bag where it can hold the MBA, a notebook, and a few accessories - because that is all you need.

What people people who have giant bags, capable of holding a lot of equipment/material (is THAT over-packing? A giant-bag 3/4 full?) and opted for the Macbook Air to reduce the load by a few pounds over the standard form factor laptops?

People keep going back to care of the machine and 'common sense.' Experience tells me that all my other laptops can withstand being in a bag with many other things, why should the Air have been different? Is there documentation for the Air that states this? Please tell me how I could have known without finding out first hand. Btw, my machine is PRISTINE.

ANYWAYS -

I just purchased the Razer Kabuto Mouse Mat --- it fits pretty well! I will be traveling all next week - lets see how it holds up!

btw, I think the cloth does help a bit. I've been keeping a 15mm thick cloth between the screen and the keyboard. After a round trip, the cloth has a pretty strong imprint from the edges of the trackpad/keyboard bridge. Screen is fine, but I think the cloth both blunts the edge, as well as distributes the pressure over a large area, and probably increasing the required pressure for this damage to show up.

----------

I just ordered one of the Radtech covers directly from Radtech. Use the promo code 2PROMO10 to get 10% off.

Amazon has the 11" MBA with free shipping but not the 13" MBA.

Ahhh - there is a better promo code... AUG2011 gives 20% off!

sn424
Jan 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have no problems carrying mine in a backpack with books & other small items. Common sense tells one to avoid over packing the bag.

There are a few guys I know that have key marks on their displays that won't wipe off. Yet if you took a look at the exterior of the backpack all stained and scuffed, you'd know why. It's a computer, not to be tossed about. These guys stuff their bags so full it's amazing they haven't broken a screen.

I carry mine in a padded slip case which in turn is carried in a padded laptop pocket in my backpack which is never overpacked since I don't like carting lots of stuff around. It still managed to pick up a pressure mark. For what it's worth I don't see any grease marks (keys). I suspect it's down to manufacturing tolerances so some will get it and others won't with exactly the same treatment.

Robyr
Jan 14, 2012, 06:57 AM
Do you guys understand that if you are using a cloth, i.e. an added layer of material, to protect against the trackpad bridge marks that you are actually making this a FAR greater possibility by reducing the travel needed for contact? You aren't spreading the force, which WOULD help.

I still have seen no proof of damage outside of foreign material being introduced to the keyboard. $20 for a piece of cloth, by the way, is highway robbery.

----------

Just a little precaution goes a long way. I'm 100% happy with mine. Not a hiccup since day one. It's why I use Macs.

THIS. I mean seriously, people, take better care of your ****.

Mac32
Jan 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
Short answer: With a 11'' MBA, the answer is "NO". Period.
As far as the 13'', I don't know, as I don't own that model. Some of these screen protectors are just overpriced like crazy. Cynical individuals/companies that prey on fussy mac users.

Votekinky06
Jan 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
THIS. I mean seriously, people, take better care of your ****.

I take very good care of my ****, but will probably still pick up a case, and ap strongly considering this mat. I consider my Mac an investment, and I will be using it for 3-4 years, so I will do anything within reason to keep it in the best condition possible.

sl33py
Jan 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
On my MBA, i don't have any key marks on the screen; but i do a slight straight white mark on my screen from the aluminum edges from the trackpad and the area right below the keyboard. Its light and only seen when the screen is black (such as when booting via bootcamp), but it was still enough to cause to me to add more protection for the screen.

So to protect the screen I ended up the getting the Rearth Keyboard protector and anti-glare screen protector from eBay from futureoneshop (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Anti-glare-Screen-Protector-Guard-Macbook-Air-13-/190512371363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5b6c16a3) for like $13. And its been working out really good for me :). Hope that helps for anyone looking for ways to protect their MBA :).

minnus
Jan 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
The Kabuto 'screen protector' seems to be working - or at least I think so. I have been using it every time it goes into a bag, and I haven't damaged my screen yet.

I definitely recommend people to purchase a sheet of something to put between the screen and the trackpad bridge. I think the Kabuto is great since it functions as a mouse pad. At the time of my purchase, it was only $13 from Amazon.

Herrow
Jan 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
This. Throw in a ShaggyMac cloth to avoid the key imprint if you are worried. My 2010 13" air and my old ladies 2010 11" both got an imprint. Yeah, maybe it wipes right off but with these thin plastic screens I'm a little more concerned about scratching etc. The ShaggyMac can also be used to dust it off.

In my opinion there are allot of hypochondri(m)acs out there but this is a legitimate concern given the thinness and flexibility of the Air's screen.

+1 Been using a ShaggyMac (http://www.shaggymac.com/laptop-screen-protector.html) this since 2003 with my first Mac, 12" PowerBook G4...and the 6 Macs that have followed.

themp
Jan 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
On earlier Mac notebooks with the soft "matte" screen (PowerBook G4, 1st gen MBP), I had problems with the keyboard leaving permanent marks on the screen. I bought a keyboard protector which worked. On the new notebooks with the glass screen, however, I haven't had any problems with the keyboard leaving marks and I do not use a protector. Sometimes the screen gets oil on it from the keys, but it cleans off very easily. I have no experience with new unibody macs with matte screens - perhaps the stability of the unibody design would prevent the keys from hitting the screen?

sundragon
Jan 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
I have a 2011 Air 13 -

I carry books for school and I have 3 different bags - a briefcase, backpack, and messenger bag that I use as demand dictates.

I place the Air into a sleeve and I haven't had buttons leaving impressions - even when the bag is full of books, notebooks, and other items.

My previous Powerbook and Macbook Pros all had that issue. First one not to.

firewood
Jan 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
Do you guys understand that if you are using a cloth, i.e. an added layer of material, to protect against the trackpad bridge marks that you are actually making this a FAR greater possibility by reducing the travel needed for contact? You aren't spreading the force, which WOULD help.

Clean contact isn't the problem.

A clean thin cloth or sheet of paper is softer and more porous than the keycaps, and less likely to have a near-invisible layer of microscopic grit and dust glued down with skin oil on it compared to the keycaps. Wind-blown millennia-old volcanic dust can grind lines into the display of a smashed MBA.

A paper or cloth will also block the dust, hair, skin flakes and such that gathers between the keycaps from falling onto the display when the MBA is inverted, and thus painting the screen with gooey-dust inter-key-gap outlines.

ajohnson253
Jan 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
I still use the paper sheet that Apple supplies you when it is new lol. Works great.