PDA

View Full Version : How to expand 13" storage by 32GB (Flush)

LeakedDave
Aug 5, 2011, 07:13 PM
I was working on a little project, getting more storage into the MacBook Air.

The 13" MacBook Air has the SD Card slot, as you all know. When I bought it I thought I'd just pop a 32GB SD in it permanently and leave it there. However, to my surprise, it stuck out half way and this killed the purpose.

So I did some googling around for a while and couldn't figure anything out. There was another topic on here that said to get a Micro SD / USB / SD card adapter and cut the USB half off and it would fit flush and use a Micro SD card with it. This sounded like a good idea however the OCX card they were looking for was out of stock everywhere, nowhere to be found.

And then I found an alternative on eBay from Norcent.

Step 1.

Buy this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Norcent-SDT2GB-2GB-Micro-SD-Memory-Card-w-BUILT-USB-/00/$(KGrHqJ,!lQE1F318lffBN,BQ806IQ~~0_1.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130489785688&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1971wt_1156

It's $8.

Step 2.

Buy a 32GB Micro SD. I got a Lexor 32GB Class 10 from Amazon for 90$ however you can get a class 4 for around $50.

Or get a 16GB if that's all you need.

Step 3.
Cut the USB end off the Norcent adapter. With scissors. And maybe sand it down to make it smooth if needed.

Step 4.
Put the Micro SD card in the Norcent adapter.

Step 5.
Put the Norcent adapter in your SD card slot.

You will need Tweezers to remove it, but it fits flush and is great for some extra permanent storage for those of you that might run low especially with the 128GB SSD.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1057/photohpq.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/photohpq.jpg/)

And yes, I've done this, and it works. Supports SD, SDHC, etc. My Lexor 32GB Class 10 works like a champ.

WilliamG
Aug 5, 2011, 07:29 PM
Nice post. :)

mac jones
Aug 5, 2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that.

The Elago USB adapter is good, but not flush (but more secure than a protruding SD card.

note: maybe super glue a little flexible tab on it for removal? (could always undo that mod, I would think). - I'd hate to have to try to get it out in a hurry without a pull tab :D

( now if they just would jump on the thunderbolt wagon we really would be rockin :D )

WilliamG
Aug 5, 2011, 07:36 PM
Just ordered one. Can figure out which MicroSD card to get after my MBA gets here. :)

KylePowers
Aug 5, 2011, 07:37 PM
Nice.

I've been thinking of ways to expand my 11" storage (aside from throwing in a bigger SSD), so obviously the only option is via USB. There are some pretty neat ones the size of Logitech RF Adapters (for example) that don't particularly protrude that much... which are really just tiny Micro SD adapters with Micro SD cards in the USB plug. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820235063

This could be an option for 13in owners as well, if they don't want to bother chopping up an SD card. Again, it's not flush, but it's a tradeoff for ease of use, I'd say.

IngerMan
Aug 5, 2011, 07:39 PM
Could you please take a picture with it installed and post it.

newdeal
Aug 5, 2011, 07:40 PM
what is the speed though? I have to assume it would be horribly slow for bootcamp

mac jones
Aug 5, 2011, 07:55 PM
what is the speed though? I have to assume it would be horribly slow for bootcamp

Don't even think about it ;)

LeakedDave
Aug 5, 2011, 08:13 PM
Could you please take a picture with it installed and post it.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1057/photohpq.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/photohpq.jpg/)

IngerMan
Aug 5, 2011, 08:16 PM
Sweet, Thank you :D

penguintri
Aug 5, 2011, 08:17 PM
Would love to buy one, but it's a shame they don't ship to the UK!:(

mac jones
Aug 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
Well there was 133. Now there is 130

hmm, three people here say they bought one (myself included).....let's see, this math says, i'm short 2 trillion. Ooops

technopimp
Aug 5, 2011, 08:30 PM
Nice.

I've been thinking of ways to expand my 11" storage (aside from throwing in a bigger SSD), so obviously the only option is via USB. There are some pretty neat ones the size of Logitech RF Adapters (for example) that don't particularly protrude that much... which are really just tiny Micro SD adapters with Micro SD cards in the USB plug. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820235063

This could be an option for 13in owners as well, if they don't want to bother chopping up an SD card. Again, it's not flush, but it's a tradeoff for ease of use, I'd say.

I have one of these (well, not that exact model but the same thing) and just wanted to warn you that just having it plugged in with an SDHC card (no activity, just plugged in) dropped my battery life on my 13" Air by nearly an hour. Well, I should say that it APPEARED to make it drop by an hour or so. I didn't do anything different with the laptop (same activities, etc.) and my battery life went down by an hour. So, that's as scientific as I can get right now. I'm going to do some more testing, but just wanted to throw that out there.

runtohell121
Aug 5, 2011, 09:05 PM
Here's 2 USB I have that I use for my MacBook Air 11

First one
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1948/dsc01887nk.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6910/dsc01888cb.jpg

Second one
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7055/dsc01892r.jpg
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9643/dsc01890c.jpg

Both micro sdhc card reader is using a Sandisk 32gb Class 4 Micro SDHC.

sloan47
Aug 5, 2011, 09:56 PM
Hmm... not bad at all. It's going to be dirt slow, but not bad for storing my iTunes library.

macbookpro45
Aug 5, 2011, 10:39 PM
wow great idea

ttran88
Aug 6, 2011, 04:45 AM
Great thanks. I have a 32 gb lexar class 10 laying around and I can use that for my itunes library in it. Then use the space that my library use to take and make it my bootcamp partition.

LeakedDave
Aug 6, 2011, 03:34 PM
Great thanks. I have a 32 gb lexar class 10 laying around and I can use that for my itunes library in it. Then use the space that my library use to take and make it my bootcamp partition.

Definitely sounds like a good idea for storing iTunes

sprockett
Aug 7, 2011, 08:59 AM
interested to see how this affects battery life, but thanks for the tip bro.

LeakedDave
Aug 7, 2011, 07:24 PM
interested to see how this affects battery life, but thanks for the tip bro.

Haven't noticed a difference.

legends74
Aug 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
I know I must be missing something, but why not just plug the SD card directly into the slot on the MBA rather than trim a microSD USB adapter?

jsolares
Aug 11, 2011, 11:28 AM
I know I must be missing something, but why not just plug the SD card directly into the slot on the MBA rather than trim a microSD USB adapter?

Because it's not flush

ZipZap
Aug 11, 2011, 12:48 PM
Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/photohpq.jpg/)

How about a pic of the cut unit. To be sure.

gihad
Aug 15, 2011, 08:27 PM
Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/photohpq.jpg/)

And yes, I've done this, and it works. Supports SD, SDHC, etc. My Lexor 32GB Class 10 works like a champ.

Dave, this is the best solution I've seen so far.

Could you do us a favor and run "Disk speed test" on your Micro SD ? It's an app from the Mac App Store.

I'm concerned that the micro sd adapter or the SD interface in the MBA could limit the speed of your Class 10 Micro SD card.

thanks.

LeakedDave
Aug 15, 2011, 10:38 PM
Dave, this is the best solution I've seen so far.

Could you do us a favor and run "Disk speed test" on your Micro SD ? It's an app from the Mac App Store.

I'm concerned that the micro sd adapter or the SD interface in the MBA could limit the speed of your Class 10 Micro SD card.

thanks.

I'm going to assume around 10mbs on both the read and write but I'll run this app in the morning.

As for the disk speed test I'm getting 9.6 mb/s write and 15.6 mb/s read.

thelead
Aug 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
Because it's not flush

the usb option isn't either though

LeakedDave
Aug 16, 2011, 01:49 AM
the usb option isn't either though

He meant my method (OP) is flush.

Veinticinco
Aug 16, 2011, 08:28 AM
Would love to buy one, but it's a shame they don't ship to the UK!:(
Seller does, for $29.50 :eek:

Depends how desperate you are I guess.

Veinticinco
Aug 16, 2011, 08:42 AM
Personally, I'd go for the black version to match the micro SD card and look much more 'invisible' in the SD port itself.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5870/1960088l.jpg

gihad
Aug 16, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm going to assume around 10mbs on both the read and write but I'll run this app in the morning.

As for the disk speed test I'm getting 9.6 mb/s write and 15.6 mb/s read.

Hey, my Class 6 Card does about the same speed, so I think something is limiting the speed of your card as it is probably faster.

blulite
Aug 16, 2011, 09:13 PM
How about this from Patriot. Looks like it will work just the same (cut off the end), but also includes the memory card (Class 10).

(Edit - removed link, it was the standard SDcard adapter, won't work for this)

weespeed
Aug 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for this idea. Mine came in and here is what it looks like. I put a tab on it so I can pull it out if I have to. The tab in the pic was before I cut it down.

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't the USB port (or SD card slot) draw power? I read somewhere that leaving something (in this case a drive) constantly plugged in reduces battery life.

This would seem likely since it obviously isn't powered by pixie dust. But..perhaps it's a minimal draw??

Only bring it up since members seem to be hell bent on squeezing every minute of life they can out of their batteries. Wouldn't this adversely affect batt life?

I'd just not plug it in, unless I really needed the extra storage. Seems like this solution is a workable novelty, a very easy storage expansion upgrade, but...at the cost of batt life.

weespeed
Aug 23, 2011, 08:50 PM
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't the USB port (or SD card slot) draw power? I read somewhere that leaving something (in this case a drive) constantly plugged in reduces battery life.

This would seem likely since it obviously isn't powered by pixie dust. But..perhaps it's a minimal draw??

Only bring it up since members seem to be hell bent on squeezing every minute of life they can out of their batteries. Wouldn't this adversely affect batt life?

I'd just not plug it in, unless I really needed the extra storage. Seems like this solution is a workable novelty, a very easy storage expansion upgrade, but...at the cost of batt life.

I thought of that too. And did some research and found this on another forum: "By example, a Sandisk SD memory card draws 40mA (milliamps) when in use and 150uA (microamps) when in standby.

In other words, the power consumption drops to roughly 1/250 when in standby...truly negligible."

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 23, 2011, 08:53 PM
I thought of that too. And did some research and found this on another forum: "By example, a Sandisk SD memory card draws 40mA (milliamps) when in use and 150uA (microamps) when in standby.

In other words, the power consumption drops to roughly 1/250 when in standby...truly negligible."

Nice thank you for the information.

EJ8
Aug 23, 2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for this idea. Mine came in and here is what it looks like. I put a tab on it so I can pull it out if I have to. The tab in the pic was before I cut it down.

So now you have a piece of paper sticking out the side of your MBA??? What's the purpose of cutting the memory card down if you are going to have that eyesore?

technopimp
Aug 23, 2011, 10:18 PM

I have one of the USB microsdhc adapters, and while I have no idea how much actual power it draws, I've noticed with it plugged in (but no SDHC activity) battery life has dropped by 30-60 minutes.

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
I have one of the USB microsdhc adapters, and while I have no idea how much actual power it draws, I've noticed with it plugged in (but no SDHC activity) battery life has dropped by 30-60 minutes.

Interesting observation. That's quite a big drop.

weespeed
Aug 23, 2011, 11:59 PM
So now you have a piece of paper sticking out the side of your MBA??? What's the purpose of cutting the memory card down if you are going to have that eyesore?

Sorry, no it was there for when I was trying it out. I cut it down and when I insert it, I tuck it in. So you can't even tell it's there, sort of.

I have 32gb MicroSd in it. I have my itunes library there and also my pictures. I like it.

----------

hmm I'm gonna keep an eye on it. I'm already having battery issues and don't need more.

But from my research and some knowledge in circuits, when the idle bit is set, the current draw is very small. Many of the major memory card sellers have that info on their sites.

Could it be you have stuff on there that gets accessed from time to time by the OS, like spotlight etc...?

maclook
Aug 24, 2011, 12:33 AM
That pull tab is really smart, weespeed. You've convinced me to invest in that method now. How did you cut yours down so smoothly?

weespeed
Aug 24, 2011, 01:00 AM
That pull tab is really smart, weespeed. You've convinced me to invest in that method now. How did you cut yours down so smoothly?

Thanks, but I give all the adulations to the OP. He thought of it, I just figured a pull tab would make it easy to remove if I have to.

I cut the adapter like the OP. I used good wire cutters but I'm sure some good scissors would work good too. Then I ran it along a file until it was even.
There is a circuit board and chips in there, so I used some 3m masking tape and cut it down to cover the exposed circuit. See OP first picture. The black area in his/her picture is the exposed circuit board.
Then I folded some of the masking tape and left part of the sticky side exposed. Cut it to match the adapter and stuck it on.
When I insert the adapter, I fold the tab in and it fits snug in there. It does make it really easy to remove.

maclook
Aug 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, props to OP for the great idea in the first place.

Is a class 6 microsd card fast enough to store an iTunes library on? I just don't want a delay when I choose a song to play. I was going to go all out and find a class 10, but there's to much of a price hike imo so I wouldn't mind getting a class 6 if it can do the job.

weespeed
Aug 24, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah, props to OP for the great idea in the first place.

Is a class 6 microsd card fast enough to store an iTunes library on? I just don't want a delay when I choose a song to play. I was going to go all out and find a class 10, but there's to much of a price hike imo so I wouldn't mind getting a class 6 if it can do the job.

Class ratings are just a minimum. So a class 6 means it has to have a minimum sustained transfer of 6mbs or more. Some higher quality cards can exceed that rating.
I have a patriot class 10 in my galaxy tab 7". Running speed tests I get around 10.5 to 11.5 mbs.
I'm using a scandisk class 6 in my Air. Using the same app to test the speeds in my Galaxy Tab I get 8.5 to 9.9 mbs speeds.

So depending on the card it may not matter much.

I play songs from my Micro SD card and not one hiccup. I can skip forward backwards etc.. and not one stutter.

I can pull up my photo library scroll up down look at high res images and no stutter.

As with anything that is just my personal experience.

hayduke
Aug 24, 2011, 06:32 PM
Nicely done. Wish my old MBA had an SD slot! Time to upgrade...

Shambles
Sep 26, 2011, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know of a adaptor like the OP used that's available in the UK?

ihonda
Sep 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
what does the underside of the card look like that you can cut off the usb port side? im a little confused on how this works..

Shambles
Sep 26, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hey guys look at post #30 here

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mini-10v/9496-sd-card-slot-3.html

Looks like the Sandisk Ultra II SD card has all it's circuits taking up less than half of the card, meaning that you can cut off half of it and it still works! With a 32GB card, this would be the perfect way to store my iTunes library. May have to order a 2GB card and give it a try..

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/2005_KJ_Owner/SDCardP1.jpg

Northwestern
Sep 26, 2011, 12:24 PM
Is there also an adapter for the SDXC card? They are available with 128 GB from Lexar.

ihonda
Sep 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
Is there also an adapter for the SDXC card? They are available with 128 GB from Lexar.

got a 64gb sdxc coming in the mail. ill try this.

All About Jake
Oct 5, 2011, 04:16 PM
There was another topic on here that said to get a Micro SD / USB / SD card adapter and cut the USB half off and it would fit flush and use a Micro SD card with it.

I made one of these in a similar fashion:

I used a $4.30 shipped adapter from ebay "MicroSD/TF to SD USB". I took some care in dissecting it, turns out most of the circuitry is inside the USB connector, so with an sharp knife (exacto, or box cutter) you can cut most of the guts out. There ware a few surface mount components (resistors or capacitors) left visible inside the hole. I picked them out with the knife for completeness sake. Finally, I used a bit of scrap plastic and a file to fashion a "plug" for the hole left where the USB connector and circuitry used to be. A little CA glue and some filing and a tape tab similar to above, and good to go!

It works great, but I only have a 2GB micro SD card, and it seems like the 64 and 128GB microSDs aren't available. I guess I'll have to opt for a 32GB since I can't find anything else. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd also love to know if the full-size 128GB Lexar SD card that is available confirms to the same pattern as mentiond above-- all of the vital bits inside the half closest to the pins. I'd hate to cut an expensive 128GB SD only to find that they used all the available physical space to cram that much storage in.

kulimer
Oct 6, 2011, 12:08 AM
Dude, you are a genius, I will give it a try when I get a chance. From the picture it looked a little funny, but hey, that's a lot of storage for $8.

wrinkster22
Nov 12, 2011, 08:52 AM
Dude, you are a genius, I will give it a try when I get a chance. From the picture it looked a little funny, but hey, that's a lot of storage for $8.

plus the price of a micro sd

xaquaticx
Feb 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
Wow this thread is awesome. I love learning this kind of stuff from you all on this forum. :)

For now, I want to use my SD slot on my MacBook Pro 2010. I tried to find the Norcent adapter, no luck. Spent almost an hour with Google. The eBay auctions are gone. Geeks.com, Amazon, all out of stock. Except "DHGate" (http://www.dhgate.com/norcent-sdt2gb-2gb-micro-sd-trio-microsd/r-ff8080812d36cf93012d36ff80f953b5.html) which wants $23. Does anyone know where else I could find the Norcent adapter, or another adapter like it? I guess if need be I could buy from DHgate but the site is kind of sketchy anyway.

The problem with most adapters is you put the card in the very back. So you can not cut it down. The Norcent, part of it is that USB connector thing. So it's safe to cut that off. It results in a smaller adapter than every other adapter. All other adapters seem to have the same design, with the MicroSD at the back so you can not cut it down.

Long-term, to gain even more storage, I may also do the USB MicroSD/transflash keychain drive trick. I already have one of those (you put the MicroSD in it, then plug it in). But for now I'd rather use the SD card slot.

Thanks for any ideas all of you!

Boyd01
Feb 24, 2012, 02:22 PM
I just got a MBA a few days ago, and since I already had an extra 32GB class 4 SDHC card I popped it into the slot and copied 28GB of photos to it. Man, that took forever, about 6 hours!

So I just did a few unscientific benchmarks that might be of interest. I copied a folder containing 87MB of photos in 11 files. Using the 32GB SDHC card, it took 18 seconds to copy the folder from the internal SSD. Copying the files from the SDHC card to the SSD took only 6 seconds, not surprising since we know it's faster to read than write to the card.

But here's the surprise, copying from the SSD to an external 7200RPM 500GB USB drive only took 3 seconds - that's 6x faster than copying to the SDHC card. Copying from the external USB drive to the SSD took less than 2 seconds, also faster than the SDHC card. And Time Machine was also in the process of running a backup to this same external drive when I tried this.

Just duplicating these same files on the internal SSD took less than 2 seconds.

So this doesn't really inspire me as to the practical uses of an SDHC card in that slot. Maybe a faster card would help a bit... I have a class 10 somewhere, will see if I can archive the stuff on that card and give that a try.

[EDIT]I found my 16GB class 10 SDHC card and formatted it for the Mac. Performance was definitely better this time - it took 11 seconds to copy the same folder from the SSD to the class 10 card, vs 18 seconds for the class 4 card. Still almost twice as long as it took to copy the same folder to the external USB drive though.

xaquaticx
Feb 28, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have searched for hours today for the Norcent adapter. Norcent went bankrupt years ago apparently, and their product hasn't been made for years. All eBay auctions are expired.

I can't believe, first of all, Apple's SD card slot is so stupidly designed, very un-Apple. Also I am surprised there are not more readers like the Norcent product, it was a really cool product. I would have bought 2 or 3, for one to keep with the USB end, as that was pretty neat. But I'm also surprised no one else jumped in to make a solution...I think a lot of people with recent Apple laptops as well as other PC owners (Dell Mini etc) would buy such a thing, a mini-SD adapter!

I found this other thread here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1040837

Apparently OCZ had a clone of the Norcent product. Also discontinued long ago. DealExtreme, Amazon, eBay, etc. are all out of stock.

I may settle with having a USB Elago or other small reader permanently stuck to my MBP. It will just barely fit in my Pelican hard case.

But.. Just wanted to check one last time if anyone else has seen a product like the Norcent?

I want to avoid cutting and soldering. Hacking the reader in the MBP is a frightening prospect with my lack of skill. I may attempt to hack my SD Adapter that I get, as those can be bought for less than $0.50 on Amazon, etc., as someone else posted they might do. But my goal was to have an easy fix and the only two solutions so far that seem easy are the 1) Norcent and 2) a small USB reader like the Elago or TransFlash readers.

Thanks all, this is a great thread. And perhaps it will be fun to do some light hacking around with the SD Adapter if no one finds a Norcent. They are practically free...I'll report back on results.

ohla313
Feb 28, 2012, 09:55 PM

First one
Image (http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1948/dsc01887nk.jpg)
Image (http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6910/dsc01888cb.jpg)

Second one
Image (http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7055/dsc01892r.jpg)
Image (http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9643/dsc01890c.jpg)

can I get a link for the flash drives please?

mbamed
Mar 4, 2012, 01:35 AM
Search ebay or dealextreme for "MicroSD/TF to SD USB"

I bought one for 2 bucks just now.

I have searched for hours today for the Norcent adapter. Norcent went bankrupt years ago apparently, and their product hasn't been made for years. All eBay auctions are expired.

I can't believe, first of all, Apple's SD card slot is so stupidly designed, very un-Apple. Also I am surprised there are not more readers like the Norcent product, it was a really cool product. I would have bought 2 or 3, for one to keep with the USB end, as that was pretty neat. But I'm also surprised no one else jumped in to make a solution...I think a lot of people with recent Apple laptops as well as other PC owners (Dell Mini etc) would buy such a thing, a mini-SD adapter!

I found this other thread here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1040837

Apparently OCZ had a clone of the Norcent product. Also discontinued long ago. DealExtreme, Amazon, eBay, etc. are all out of stock.

I may settle with having a USB Elago or other small reader permanently stuck to my MBP. It will just barely fit in my Pelican hard case.

But.. Just wanted to check one last time if anyone else has seen a product like the Norcent?

I want to avoid cutting and soldering. Hacking the reader in the MBP is a frightening prospect with my lack of skill. I may attempt to hack my SD Adapter that I get, as those can be bought for less than $0.50 on Amazon, etc., as someone else posted they might do. But my goal was to have an easy fix and the only two solutions so far that seem easy are the 1) Norcent and 2) a small USB reader like the Elago or TransFlash readers.

Thanks all, this is a great thread. And perhaps it will be fun to do some light hacking around with the SD Adapter if no one finds a Norcent. They are practically free...I'll report back on results.

xaquaticx
Mar 5, 2012, 04:26 PM
Search ebay or dealextreme for "MicroSD/TF to SD USB"

I bought one for 2 bucks just now.

OK folks, I found it. It was a few pages in to the results. Thank you for pointing us to DealExtreme mbamed.

Here it is. The real McCoy!!!!

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-multifunctional-tf-card-to-sd-card-adapter-black-101441

This is the exact same thing as the Norcent. I'm going to cut off the USB end and use it just as the original poster did. $3. I got 3 for bulk rate of $2.69 each.

DealExtreme rocks. And I've gotten other stuff from them over the years, they are a good merchant.

I just ordered them. I will report back to everyone with results and the quality of the product.

xaquaticx
Apr 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Just got them. These work awesome as originally designed, although they don't quite get flush when cut. (see next post for details, one that I cut flush stopped working, but when cut almost flush still works)

(shipping with DealExtreme can sometimes be delayed a few weeks as it was this time)

makemineadouble
Apr 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hey all,

Love what you guys have done here and I really needed this for my Macbook Air: 256GB SSD - only 27GB remaining!

Me and my friend have designed something along the lines of what has been done here, and launched it on Indiegogo (a crowd funding website):

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Nifty-MiniDrive-More-Space-Pretty-Package

I know that our solution is a fair amount more expensive than some of the DIY solutions out there - especially the ones you guys have worked out here! But we wanted to make sure that what we produced was as well made, and as closely matched the finish and quality of the Macbook Air/Pro as possible. We wanted to create something that would last as long as your computer, looked good and was easy to use (/remove!).

If you guys like the idea, any support you can lend to the cause would be greatly appreciated - the working prototypes are being built as we speak and I would expect to ship at the end of the funding period, if not before

Of course ideas/feedback/suggestions are welcome too! You guys are the pros here!!

Sikazzg35
Apr 15, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hey all,

Love what you guys have done here and I really needed this for my Macbook Air: 256GB SSD - only 27GB remaining!

Me and my friend have designed something along the lines of what has been done here, and launched it on Indiegogo (a crowd funding website):

I know that our solution is a fair amount more expensive than some of the DIY solutions out there - especially the ones you guys have worked out here! But we wanted to make sure that what we produced was as well made, and as closely matched the finish and quality of the Macbook Air/Pro as possible. We wanted to create something that would last as long as your computer, looked good and was easy to use (/remove!).

If you guys like the idea, any support you can lend to the cause would be greatly appreciated - the working prototypes are being built as we speak and I would expect to ship at the end of the funding period, if not before

Of course ideas/feedback/suggestions are welcome too! You guys are the pros here!!

That looks really good. What is the price on it?

xaquaticx
Apr 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hey all,

Wow that looks awesome, like how it matches the metal. Would've bought a few from you if I hadn't already ordered mine.

makemineadouble
Apr 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
That looks really good. What is the price on it?

Thanks Sikazzg35 - if you go ahead and support us on Indiegogo and place an order for the first batch, we are selling them for $55 (without a Micro SD card).

We hope to get that down in time, but as we are essentially custom machining and assembling by hand at low volume each MiniDrive costs a lot to make.

We want to personally make sure that it is of the right build quality and finish before we scale up production, so some of that cost is going towards helping a start up find it's feet and create something useful and cool in the realm of consumer electronics :-D

Supa_Fly
Apr 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Hey all,

THIS is what everyone is trying to accomplish. Great design, flush and very functional with paperclip removal. (if you could figure out an imbedded eject latch using iPhone pin/paperclip that would rock but not necessary at all).

xaquaticx
Apr 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
I have an update...

I bought 3.

I had said the cards I found worked but that was before I cut it.

I cut one flush (removed the entire USB section). It killed the card. At least it appears to have.

I assume perhaps it forms some sort of circuit on the circuit board and part of this goes out onto the USB section, and if it's broken, it ruins the board inside.

I then cut only HALF of it off. It works. But it still hangs out a bit (a centimeter or two, enough to catch when inside my Pelican case). I'm nervous to cut more off. I only have one more try left, plus I wanted to keep one because the USB functionality does in fact work and it's pretty neat to be able to plug it into a USB port if I want to tote my music (what I'm going to store on it) to another computer like my work computer.

Did anyone else here buy one of these? Any thoughts? Has anyone found a way to cut it all the way down to flush and have the WinFos card (the DealExtreme one I got) work? I used scissors also. Maybe a Dremel would've been better? Thoughts?

I guess this supports spending more money on the custom-made solution by makemineadouble, at least we know his card works while flush and is high quality. (makemineadouble I wish you luck, cool idea)

Hairsy
Apr 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
I had said the cards I found worked.

Actually, what you said was "These work awesome!"

I wonder how many other people bought because of your recommendation?!

I live and learn ...

xaquaticx
Apr 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
I cut the card a little more, and it hangs out only a millimeter or two now, but I cut until I saw the circuit board.

Photos of the card are here, along with the original unmodified card, and the card cut all the way flush. I used some scotch tape as a tab to be able to pull it out. It's not too bad, but it still sticks out a bit. I may cut the casing away a bit more to see if areas of the board are blank so I can cut it down more. If I get it cut down all the way and working I will post back how it goes. I have photos of the original card, the card cut all the way flush, and the card cut half way or more.

photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/79108790@N04/6935617878/in/photostream/lightbox/

Hairsy I was deployed to the field the day after I got my cards and just got a chance to start messing with them. I just meant they work as originally intended. Since they are cheap Brand X cards from China I initially was worried one or even all of them might be dead on arrival so I wanted to relay that they worked. I should have specified I that I did not test cutting them, though, to be fair.

It's unfortunate this much modding is needed, though..I can't believe they've been shipping this SD Reader design for years now. I just used a Toughbook for work the other day and has a nice spring-loaded SD reader that takes the card in all the way. I seriously hope Apple gets smart with the next model revision.

In fact I just got the coolest idea. What if someone squeezed two or three MicroSD readers into the SD Reader slot, after ripping out Apple's SD reader? That would allow you to theoretically add two or three 64 gig SDXC cards as storage to your laptop. Plus they have 512 gig SSDs that will eventually come down in price. Siiiiick. I wonder if they make MicroSDXC readers, that would fit in there. That would be completely awesome eh?

atMac
Apr 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
Hey all,

That is exactly what I hoped someone would make!

Mike07335i
Apr 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Thats pretty cool. I may grab one of these after the next refresh if the form factor stays the same.

Mike

atMac
Apr 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
I absolutely donated $55 to this on the website.

makemineadouble
Apr 18, 2012, 05:48 PM
I absolutely donated $55 to this on the website.

Thank you atMac!

JonLa
Apr 20, 2012, 06:53 AM
Hey makemineadouble - what's your ETA for the first batch or does it depend on getting all of the funding and you can't say?

JUst ordered two of the cheap things to try to cut them down like xaquaticx did - there's a seller on UK ebay sending them from Hong Kong for something like a quid fifty, so when they arrive I may be back for more advice...

AppleSticker54
Apr 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
makemineadouble - I also love the idea and will be all over this once the refresh comes out and I know what I'm buying. Kudo's to you!!

makemineadouble
Apr 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hey makemineadouble - what's your ETA for the first batch or does it depend on getting all of the funding and you can't say?...

Hey JonLa - not sure on shipping ETA. We are cautious about giving an exact time frame, however at the moment we are aiming to ship by the end of the funding period at the latest for our early supporters.

Everything swings on the quality of the first batch and if there are any problems that need ironing out. If not, we would be able to start shipping even sooner if you fell within the first 45 MiniDrives claimed (we'll need to keep 5 or so back for demoing purposes). :)

----------

makemineadouble - I also love the idea and will be all over this once the refresh comes out and I know what I'm buying. Kudo's to you!!

Thank you AppleSticker54, and everyone else who has been supportive about the idea, you guys are awesome :D

JonLa
Apr 21, 2012, 07:10 AM
So thirty quid will either get me one of the first minidrives or a refund (less fees). Hmmm... you're tempting me.... Come pay day I may well join in!

wiggy1
Apr 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
That Nifty MiniDrive is great. Will it also work in the MacBook Pro? I don't know how the slots compare, but I would "committe" to buy one if they will fit in the Pro in the same way.

ihonda
May 3, 2012, 04:45 PM
when putting my itunes on my sdhc card there is a delay between switching songs.. sigh :/ it claims its a class 10...

makemineadouble
May 3, 2012, 05:16 PM
That Nifty MiniDrive is great. Will it also work in the MacBook Pro? I don't know how the slots compare, but I would "committe" to buy one if they will fit in the Pro in the same way.

Hey Wiggy, thank you! The honest answer to that is I don't know. The SD slot on a Macbook Pro is a little different from that of the Macbook Air. My gut feeling is that it would fit, but I won't be able to say for sure until I actual get the first batch of milled bodies through and can actually try putting one in the Macbook Pro!

I should know the answer to that in the next couple of weeks.

wiggy1
May 3, 2012, 05:45 PM
I like how I can't spell commit. Anyway, I measured the depth of the SD card slot on a MBP using an MMC card (half the length of an SD card) and it was just a little deeper. I am thinking that as such, the MBP is deeper than the MBA so your adapter might be recessed. I am just guessing though since I don't have an MBA to test on. However, I might just hit up Best Buy and test this theory out.

wiggy1
May 4, 2012, 04:50 PM
Ok, I went to Best Buy today and measured the depth of the MBA and the MBP. They are very similar, if not exactly the same. I didn't have the best way to measure other than marking on an SD card, but they seemed within 1/2 mm in depth. So the adapter being created for the MBA should work just fine in the MBP.

I'm looking forward to when they are released.

makemineadouble
May 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
Ok, I went to Best Buy today and measured the depth of the MBA and the MBP. They are very similar, if not exactly the same. I didn't have the best way to measure other than marking on an SD card, but they seemed within 1/2 mm in depth. So the adapter being created for the MBA should work just fine in the MBP.

I'm looking forward to when they are released.

Yep - definitely fits - I have just checked it on both a Macbook Pro and an iMac. Looks like Apple uses a standard sized SD card reader slot across the board, which makes a lot of sense.

The metal arrived today, fresh from being machined, light bead blasted and anodised. Just a couple more steps to go and they will be ready for the big time!

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/NiftyMiniDrive/MiniDrivev10.jpg

Satnam1989
May 21, 2012, 06:27 PM
Anone know if SDHC card readers support SDXC? I am thinking of buying a 64GB Sandisk SDXC for $100 Class 10 but don't know if I can find a adapter that I can cut down to make it flushable.

a.coward
May 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
Anone know if SDHC card readers support SDXC? I am thinking of buying a 64GB Sandisk SDXC for $100 Class 10 but don't know if I can find a adapter that I can cut down to make it flushable.

I didn't think they made Class 10 Micro SDXC cards in 64GB capacity.
Unless you are referring to a standard SDXC card, for which this flush
adapter hack thing will not work.

Satnam1989
May 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
I didn't think they made Class 10 Micro SDXC cards in 64GB capacity.
Unless you are referring to a standard SDXC card, for which this flush
adapter hack thing will not work.

I thought this was class 10: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_175_177&item_id=LL0319

jgc
May 21, 2012, 09:02 PM
I thought this was class 10: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_175_177&item_id=LL0319

Unfortunately not -- it's class 6.

Click here (http://www.amazon.ca/Sandisk-Mobile-Microsdxc-Adapter-Packaging/dp/B005V7WIA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337652009&sr=8-1) and look under technical details.

Satnam1989
May 21, 2012, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately not -- it's class 6.

Click here (http://www.amazon.ca/Sandisk-Mobile-Microsdxc-Adapter-Packaging/dp/B005V7WIA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337652009&sr=8-1) and look under technical details.

thanks for pointing out but my first site said it has 30MB/s read speed I guess that should be good....anyone using this? btw

----------

Yep - definitely fits - I have just checked it on both a Macbook Pro and an iMac. Looks like Apple uses a standard sized SD card reader slot across the board, which makes a lot of sense.

The metal arrived today, fresh from being machined, light bead blasted and anodised. Just a couple more steps to go and they will be ready for the big time!

Image (http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/NiftyMiniDrive/MiniDrivev10.jpg)

based on your picture...your design is Rectangular in shape but I have a Macbook Pro 2011 and my SD card slot has circular edges.....so I don't see how this will fit....also looks a bit thick...compared to my slot

wiggy1
May 21, 2012, 10:23 PM
Ok, I have joined with 55 others (at least) who have committed to the Nifty MiniDrive. It looks very elegant. Now I just hope the reader slot is the same size on the new MacBook Pro's to be announced next month.

Satnam1989
May 23, 2012, 01:03 AM
Also Anyone know if a 64GB SDXC MicroSD will fit this adapter the Nifty or the micro sd adapter used in the first post. please advise.

Acorn
May 23, 2012, 09:00 AM
I thought this was a great idea until i tried it. its so painfully slow its unusable. so so awful. never a replacement for proper added storage through upgrade.

kyjaotkb
May 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
I thought this was a great idea until i tried it. its so painfully slow its unusable. so so awful. never a replacement for proper added storage through upgrade.

glad I didn't jump on the EUR200 128GB SDXC solution and opted for the EUR250 256GB second-hand Apple blade SSD solution to replace my 128GB stock SSD !

Satnam1989
May 23, 2012, 12:47 PM
I bought this Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221015469766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2135wt_1144), Since it came in, I formatted it to HFS+ Journaled and loaded it up with 28GB worth of Videos in .flv format+Images and PDF documents. Watched almost 50 hours worth of video lectures as well as opened almost half of the PDF documents and images......so far everything seems to work very well. It is legitimate and when plugged in on the left side along with MagSafe charger it is barely noticeable.

If you don't need to me writing too much data on it constantly then it is a perfect solution...I think even faster than the SDHC cards....plus you can share it easily with other computers as well as add/remove it from the MBAir. Sure it takes a bit longer to load it up with my files but these files I don't move very often...so it is perfect in that sense and also gives me plenty of free space on my internal SSD for my other important files and downloads.

Its even smaller than the person who shared pictures

Pros:
- Only $22.99
- 32GB With 31.67GB User accessible.
- Extremely Small--Only sticks out as much if not less than the MagSafe Charger
- Read Speeds = 17-22MB/s
- Easier to use
- Has Serial printed on it, I am going to verify it with SanDisk once I get a chance to call them.

Cons:
- Write Speeds = 4-6MB/s

Satnam1989
Jun 10, 2012, 10:34 PM

Image (http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/NiftyMiniDrive/MiniDrivev10.jpg)

what ever happened to you guys....gone completely silent....with over 20days of no updates....

wiggy1
Jun 10, 2012, 10:41 PM
Turns out the Nifty Drive IndyGoGo campaign didn't meet funding goals. However, the guys making the drive rolled all the funds garnered under the IndyGoGo effort over to a Kickstarter campaign. They are in a holding pattern as that effort progresses. This is the story I received as one of the funding supporters and I chose to leave my purchase active in the hopes the Kickstarter campaign is successful.

Hopefully the Nifty Drive guys will be on here to do a better update than me. But I wanted to make sure interest doesn't flounder due to a lack of updates.

kylera
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ok, I have joined with 55 others (at least) who have committed to the Nifty MiniDrive. It looks very elegant. Now I just hope the reader slot is the same size on the new MacBook Pro's to be announced next month.

Or the new MBA...that is, if there will be one tomorrow.

m0ssie
Jun 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
does the new 2012 MBA have the same type SD card slot, where this mod will still be necessary?

jgc
Jun 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
does the new 2012 MBA have the same type SD card slot, where this mod will still be necessary?

Yes. Doesn't appear if they've changed any of the design so it should still have the same SD card slot.

Satnam1989
Jun 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the web but does the Macbook Air's support MiniSD without a standard SD card adapter? like can you stick a MiniSD card in the Macbook Air and use it? because of its smaller size...it would be flush with the surface if I'm correct.....

jsolares
Jun 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the web but does the Macbook Air's support MiniSD without a standard SD card adapter? like can you stick a MiniSD card in the Macbook Air and use it? because of its smaller size...it would be flush with the surface if I'm correct.....

It does not, the Slot in the Macbook Air is for SD, so you need the adapter to use a MiniSD.

Time Less
Jun 14, 2012, 02:31 AM
Anyone know of any other options for a flush look? I can not find the Norcent adapter anywhere.

sorenjorvang
Jun 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Anyone know of any other options for a flush look? I can not find the Norcent adapter anywhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180885597224

m0ssie
Jun 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
I'm haven't got an MBA yet, but I got the same adapter card you did and cut the usb section off flush, and it works fine in my pc. I just took a new razor blade and inserted it in a holder for safety and aligned it and pressed it down across the usb section and rocked it back and forth until it cut through.

When cutting the usb section of this adapter off flush, does it fit the MBA flush? After cutting it the adapter now measures 29.7mm in length. Does anyone know the exact length required for it to fit flush in the MBA?

I have an update...

I bought 3.

I had said the cards I found worked but that was before I cut it.

I cut one flush (removed the entire USB section). It killed the card. At least it appears to have.

I assume perhaps it forms some sort of circuit on the circuit board and part of this goes out onto the USB section, and if it's broken, it ruins the board inside.

I then cut only HALF of it off. It works. But it still hangs out a bit (a centimeter or two, enough to catch when inside my Pelican case). I'm nervous to cut more off. I only have one more try left, plus I wanted to keep one because the USB functionality does in fact work and it's pretty neat to be able to plug it into a USB port if I want to tote my music (what I'm going to store on it) to another computer like my work computer.

Did anyone else here buy one of these? Any thoughts? Has anyone found a way to cut it all the way down to flush and have the WinFos card (the DealExtreme one I got) work? I used scissors also. Maybe a Dremel would've been better? Thoughts?

I guess this supports spending more money on the custom-made solution by makemineadouble, at least we know his card works while flush and is high quality. (makemineadouble I wish you luck, cool idea)

anton1s
Jun 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
thanks for the post. I got then 256 SDD so it should be ok for me

rbf1138
Jun 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
Got a Lexar 128GB Professional 133x SDXC for $90 last weekend from BH Photo, now showing as Discontinued on their website. Double the price everywhere else...

k1tt
Jun 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hey all,

Hello! Nice project! When do you re-launch on kickstarter? Didnīt find anything.. cheers, Tobi

makemineadouble
Jun 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hello! Nice project! When do you re-launch on kickstarter? Didnīt find anything.. cheers, Tobi

Hey Tobi - we didn't realise how long it would take to get verified for a kickstarter page! Looks like everything is sorted and we will be launching on kickstarter as of the 1st of July.

:D

marioman38
Jun 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
Awesome project, keep us posted! :)

xaquaticx
Jun 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'm haven't got an MBA yet, but I got the same adapter card you did and cut the usb section off flush, and it works fine in my pc. I just took a new razor blade and inserted it in a holder for safety and aligned it and pressed it down across the usb section and rocked it back and forth until it cut through.

When cutting the usb section of this adapter off flush, does it fit the MBA flush? After cutting it the adapter now measures 29.7mm in length. Does anyone know the exact length required for it to fit flush in the MBA?

As shown in my photos it's not quite flush, sticks out about 1 or two mm. Less than the Cruzer fit for sure. And about the same prices, only a few bucks more really. However, I tried cutting it all the way flush and killed the adapter. I have a third one I may experiment with but I wanted to keep it for backup also... SO it might be possible to get the adapter I ordered flush but I am not sure.

Also: don't worry makemineadouble and those interested their product.

Apple stupidly messed up again and even in the new retina MacBook Pro the SD card hangs out. So you will have a future market!

The Smyrk
Jul 1, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hey Tobi - we didn't realise how long it would take to get verified for a kickstarter page! Looks like everything is sorted and we will be launching on kickstarter as of the 1st of July.

:D

I still can't find you guys on kickstarter! I want to order a Mini Niftydrive :p

driftmr2
Jul 2, 2012, 10:32 AM
Post up the kickstarter link when ready. :D

JonLa
Jul 2, 2012, 06:01 PM
I'm using the cut down cheap Chinese adapter at the moment and I'm wondering how I might test the effect of leaving it permanently "in" is affecting my battery life. I have a 2010 13" Air (C2D) and while it looks like it doesn't affect it, the constant recalculation of battery life is confusing me. Anyone like to give me a concrete answer?

And what about the nifty minidrive? Its designed to be left inside the Air, but will it constantly draw battery power?

Edit: looking back on the thread I see somebody has already answered this, and I've been testing it myself - a day with the adapter in, a day without, suggests that leaving the SD card in barely affects battery except when accessing the card, whereas leaving a little USB stick in the USB port can draw a bit more.

Satnam1989
Jul 5, 2012, 09:03 PM
they are on kickstarter!!! finally!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive?ref=category

JonLa
Jul 6, 2012, 08:26 AM
And wow - they've already gone over their goal. I got in with one of the early bird single orders - a snip at 25 dollars. I'm really pleased for them, because the indiegogo site didn't really have the reach of kickstarter. Also - the new non-aluminium design shows that their product is evolving and takes them to a realistic price point.

My 64GB class 10 sandisk SDXC card came today - it's currently living in one of those cut-down adapters from earlier in this thread. I've just reformatted it as Mac-OS so that I can move my itunes library to it and keep it in the Time Machine backups.

And note to anyone considering moving their itunes library or bits off - there's a really neat bit of free software called Tunespan that allows you to pick and choose items from your library and move them to different locations. It basically rewrites the itunes library for you. Ive been using it a lot as I use my Air to convert our dvd library for my wife's ipad, but dont want the itunes files to actually live on the Air - they get moved to an external after conversion.

ZURENNARRH
Jul 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
I assume the minidrive pro is what I will need for my retinaMBP?

brentsg
Jul 6, 2012, 12:52 PM
I assume the minidrive pro is what I will need for my retinaMBP?

He said yes in the comments section.

NMF
Jul 6, 2012, 03:47 PM
Oh man, I was weary of the DIY solution (I'm the polar opposite of a handy-man) but for $30 these Nifty enclosures look amazing. Absolutely in for one!

leecbaker
Jul 7, 2012, 12:49 AM
I'm using the cut down cheap Chinese adapter at the moment and I'm wondering how I might test the effect of leaving it permanently "in" is affecting my battery life. I have a 2010 13" Air (C2D) and while it looks like it doesn't affect it, the constant recalculation of battery life is confusing me. Anyone like to give me a concrete answer?

There are only two likely sources of an increase in power- the card and the reader. I'm pretty confident that Apple would ensure the reader doesn't draw unnecessarily large amounts of power, and someone further up the thread said the card spec is 40mA (at 3.3V), or about 0.13 W. My 2010 MBA13 draws about 7-8W at idle with the screen fairly bright

I tried to get a more concrete answer to this using the power draw measurement. Using BatteryExpert from that App store (I'm the developer), I measured power draw for about 5 minutes without an SD and 5 minutes with an SD while on battery. The card is a Sandisk 8GB SDHC Class 4.

There were some small fluctuations in power consumption while I was measuring- maybe spotlight decided to index something, or something else was going on behind the scenes, but I don't think it was significant enough to affect the measurement. Power draw looked basically the same with and without the card- it's good enough for me.

No SD card:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3333077/mba13_no_sdhc.png

With SD card:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3333077/mba13_with_sdhc.png

jgc
Jul 7, 2012, 12:55 AM
Well, I just invested $50 in a 64 gb SDXC (not mini, full size). The Kickstarter page is tempting but I'm not sure I want to fork out $25 and purchase a 64 gb micro SDXC as well. If only the IndieGoGo campaign was this successful this quickly I would have definitely pulled the trigger.

JonLa
Jul 7, 2012, 05:23 AM
Thanks Lee - that's really useful - my purely amateur tests suggest the same thing. My next investigation is to see whether leaving the card in prevents the Air from going into the deep hibernation that doesn't draw any battery power.

Now off to look at your app...

Jacobwilson99
Jul 7, 2012, 06:57 PM
Ordered one from the Kickstarter page. :]

mcb001982
Jul 7, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ordered one from the Kickstarter page. :]

+ 1, actually I pledged for 2 - one for the wife and one for me. :cool:

iMacFarlane
Jul 9, 2012, 08:31 AM
they are on kickstarter!!! finally!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive?ref=category

I'm a backer! Thinking of using it for Time Machine backups.

Anyone know about how much room a system backup takes, in GB? No media or anything, but all of my xCode source files and documents (about 500MB) will go on the backup.

Satnam1989
Jul 9, 2012, 11:40 AM
Can anyone confirm that when you have a MicroSD card in the slot, after putting the Macbook Air/Pro to "Hibernate" the card is still attached? For example I have a Micro/Mini Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB (sticks out no wider than the MagSafe charger) and when ever I drain out my batter on my MBAir, it always gives error that the USB device was not ejected properly and I have to remove and insert again when I boot up first time after the Hibernation. Can anyone verify this doesn't happen with the SD Slot? because otherwise we would have to live with a paperclip for the Nifty Minidrive

kooskoos1814
Jul 9, 2012, 12:20 PM
I'm a backer! Thinking of using it for Time Machine backups.

Anyone know about how much room a system backup takes, in GB? No media or anything, but all of my xCode source files and documents (about 500MB) will go on the backup.
Between 1x and 1.5x the size of your HD. On my 128Gb MBA with 30Gb free, it takes about 80 Gb.

iMacFarlane
Jul 9, 2012, 05:03 PM
Well, I mean just to backup the system, not the entire file system. Just the instance of OS X, all the user settings and such, but not media or apps I could just re-download. Just the core OS. And all of my xCode source files (very small, probably half a gig.

So, 80GB seems pretty excessive for that, assuming the OS used to be installable from a DVD . . .

tefleming
Jul 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
Just backed the Nifty on Kickstarter... now the long wait til November...

Satnam1989
Jul 12, 2012, 04:17 PM
its amazing how their project EXPLODED...2000%+ and still going....I think its going to reach ~$400K based on the rate its selling out if they have enough spots for early adopters.....goes to show how much better KickStarter is than Indigogo....Imagine if they had gone to KickStarter earlier we would have had it in our hands almost 6months ago....

RightMACatU
Jul 12, 2012, 05:47 PM

Yep! That's my way too with a Lexar 32GB Echo for about $35 and a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB for $27 right now on Amazon.com

MacXperte
Jul 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
Funny, just 1 hour ago I had the same idea (producing a nice-looking flush microSD adapter), so I started researching, found the "cut" solutions, found the Nifty MiniDrive project, and while I was reading the kickstarter page the "Updates" counter jumped from 1 to 2 and the third model (MiniDrive Retina) was announced ... I feel so live!

@makemineadouble:
If you are still following this thread, I have a suggestion. I think it was a nice feature, that the "normal" MiniDrive (now MiniDrive Air) would fit all Macs. Now with the Retina's slot being deeper, this versatility is lost.
But: what if you just slightly retool the aluminum front of the MiniDrive, making it either thinner or just edge some recesses out, so it would slide all the way into a MacBook Pro Retina? Sure, in addition to the rounded ends not fitting perfectly it would also not be flush any more. But at least it would be usable.

Another possibility would require even more retooling but would gain you flexibility even for unforeseeable future Apple products:
Make the aluminum front a separate slide-on part!
That way you could deliver multiple fronts or replacement fronts, or even a front-abo. (Provided, of course, that the actual reader part is expensive enough, that separating it would still be cheaper than simply adding it to every front you sell.)

Congratulations anyway! It's always good to see, how a nice idea can become a new business.

garstudios
Jul 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
this is insane, im going to have to pledge some money and get one/some. i should probably pledge a grand and sell them on ebay....you could probably make half your money back. its awesome to see ideas take off like this.

Seamaster
Aug 2, 2012, 06:18 PM
The Nifty drive is funded. :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive

jj97101
Aug 7, 2012, 05:23 PM
http://http://www.google.com.hk/search?um=1&hl=zh-TW&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=673&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=mini+usb+stick&oq=mini+usb+stick&gs_l=img.3..0i19.3650.5036.0.5422.6.5.0.0.0.0.160.417.0j3.3.0...0.0...1ac.kk6wQLwCoPw#biv=i%7C0;d%7C NsubTet0_va5BM:

I have one of these, and all though it doesn't sit flush, still fits in my relatively tight sleeve, has decent storage, I have a 32 GB version as my store only had this much but I'm sure there bigger and if there are some USB 3.0 versions out there then the transfer speeds should be quite good as well.

burnusgas
Aug 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
Now that the project is funded, how do you order a niftyminidrive?

Jacobwilson99
Aug 17, 2012, 02:30 AM

You had to be one of the ones who funded it. $30 for one. I believe they will be doing a regular retail version once this one is done, but only in one or two colors.

makemineadouble
Sep 3, 2012, 05:45 PM

Hey guys - the Nifty MiniDrive is now available for purchase here: http://theniftyminidrive.com/

Delivery expected in December 2012 (i.e. after we have fulfilled the Kickstarter batch of 12,700!)

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, support and questions. It has been an amazing ride so far!

macwantedbad
Sep 5, 2012, 10:21 PM
pretty cool

Spoonz
Sep 6, 2012, 04:56 AM
Hey guys - the Nifty MiniDrive is now available for purchase here: http://theniftyminidrive.com/

Delivery expected in December 2012 (i.e. after we have fulfilled the Kickstarter batch of 12,700!)

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, support and questions. It has been an amazing ride so far!

Aaaah this is awesome news, I turned up to the party a bit late on this so missed the opportunity to back it. Been eagerly awaiting an eta on public orders though!

Miat
Sep 6, 2012, 08:08 AM
Don't think I will buy one as I don't need it, but really appreciate the work you guys have done on this. Nice bit of complementary 3rd party engineering.

I hope you sell a trainload of them. :)

smwatson
Sep 6, 2012, 03:16 PM
I currently have a the first aluminium MacBook (2008/2009?) with 320GB HD which is pretty much full. I'm thinking of replacing with a 13" MBA with 256GD SSD and a 64GB SD card in one of these nifty drive things.

Am I right in thinking I'll see next to no hit on battery life if I have it in all/most of the time?

I'll probably just store large video files on there and move them on to the SSD when I want to watch/edit, move them back for long term storage.

Am I going to get frustrated at the speed?

atMac
Sep 7, 2012, 06:55 AM
I got in on it early and already have my MiniDrive. I put in a 32GB microSD and freaking LOVE it.

jaw4527
Oct 2, 2012, 03:59 PM
is there any solution besides the minidrive? seems like a nice solution but a bit pricey at $35

Kevin L.
Oct 4, 2012, 07:40 PM
This whole thread is awesome. Back when the MBP first gained an SD slot, I had been involved with a number of threads exploring the possibility of cutting down SD cards without killing the flash memory inside... all so the card would be flush inside the machine. I finally purchased an RS-MMC card (half the size of an SD card). It fit flush, but that style of card is capped at 2 GB, plus I had the issue that if I left it in all the time, it would continually disappear from my finder; I'd have to find the little extender piece and try to pull it back out of the SD slot, then reinsert it. Has anyone had this issue with leaving SD cards in their MBP or MBA all the time?
I just bought two of the "Micro SD/TF to SD USB Flash U Disk Adapter" items from eBay as suggested by someone in this thread. Less than $2 a piece is more along my line of affordability, but I do like the kickstarter project... I can't tell you how many times I'd thought that someone should do that.

jaw4527
Oct 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
This whole thread is awesome. Back when the MBP first gained an SD slot, I had been involved with a number of threads exploring the possibility of cutting down SD cards without killing the flash memory inside... all so the card would be flush inside the machine. I finally purchased an RS-MMC card (half the size of an SD card). It fit flush, but that style of card is capped at 2 GB, plus I had the issue that if I left it in all the time, it would continually disappear from my finder; I'd have to find the little extender piece and try to pull it back out of the SD slot, then reinsert it. Has anyone had this issue with leaving SD cards in their MBP or MBA all the time?
I just bought two of the "Micro SD/TF to SD USB Flash U Disk Adapter" items from eBay as suggested by someone in this thread. Less than $2 a piece is more along my line of affordability, but I do like the kickstarter project... I can't tell you how many times I'd thought that someone should do that.

how do you make the adapter sit flush with the sd slot?

Kevin L.
Oct 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
how do you make the adapter sit flush with the sd slot?

If you're talking about the RS-MMC card, I just removed the adapter that makes it a full size SD card and pushed it into place with a pen tip (since the RS-MMC is half the size of an SD card, it is recessed once inserted in the MBP). To remove the card, I inserted the adapter till it snapped onto the card, then carefully pulled it back out. Again, it was a great solution but it would sometimes disappear out of the finder and I'd either have to restart or remove/reinsert the card.

Calot
Oct 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
Why not spend 150 dollars and get 256GB and a faster SSD?

Wokis
Oct 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
Why not spend 150 dollars and get 256GB and a faster SSD?

You mean *about* 150 dollars extra vs going this route? As the price difference between the 128GB and 256GB model is 300 dollars. That's because we can save about 150 dollars, I suppose :).

Considering many must have files that aren't in need of being on a super speedy drive (movies*, pictures, music) I think it makes perfect sense for some to explore the SD-card route instead.

*depending on bitrate, but other than seriously high bitrate high quality streams, a class 10 SDXC will be fast enough.

superstarmc
Nov 27, 2012, 06:59 AM
I wish the 11" macbook air had a SD slot.:mad:

MacPat333
Nov 27, 2012, 07:46 AM
That's what I went for the 13".

But why don't you get a SanDisk Cruizer Fut with 32 GB? The smallest thin for USB.

I'll get one and hopefully they gonna update at one point to USB 3.0 and to bigge sizes (64/ 128/ 256 GB).

optophobia
Nov 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have 32gb MicroSd in it. I have my itunes library there and also my pictures. I like it.

Weespeed, are you selling yours on ebay http://r.ebay.com/flzqYZ or has someone hijacked your pictures?

n10797
Nov 30, 2012, 12:02 AM

Hey there, do you know when in December these will ship out if I order now? I live in Canada and would need to know that I'll get it before Christmas because after that I'll be away. Thanks!

weespeed
Dec 5, 2012, 03:26 PM
Weespeed, are you selling yours on ebay http://r.ebay.com/flzqYZ or has someone hijacked your pictures?

Wow, just saw this in my notifications.

Not me selling that. Someone hijacked my pictures..

Thanks for the heads up.

bryanmiss
Dec 7, 2012, 12:40 AM
What about the speeding of driver? Does it handy enough? Thx

curmudgeon32
Dec 21, 2012, 03:22 PM

So, I see you've had to back off of making it out of aluminum because of manufacturing concerns — but many of your product shots still show it in aluminum. That could really be seen as misleading, and you should replace with pictures of what you're shipping, not the prototype.

[edit: mea culpa for not reading further before posting: the exterior is still made of aluminum]

pgiguere1
Dec 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
So, I see you've had to back off of making it out of aluminum because of manufacturing concerns — but many of your product shots still show it in aluminum. That could really be seen as misleading, and you should replace with pictures of what you're shipping, not the prototype.

Where did you get that from?

The latest updates don't mention backing off from making it from aluminium, you can even see pictures of the machining process in one of the latest updates (from 2 weeks ago):

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/NiftyMiniDrive/Update%2025/2012-12-01111932.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/NiftyMiniDrive/Update%2025/PartsPriorToDeburr.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/NiftyMiniDrive/Update%2025/Machiningparts.jpg

cpjr
Dec 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
is there any solution besides the minidrive? seems like a nice solution but a bit pricey at $35

I paid $15, but looks like they are selling for $6 now through kickstarter - theminidrive.com

jhu2
Dec 30, 2012, 07:54 PM
I paid $15, but looks like they are selling for $6 now through kickstarter - theminidrive.com

did you get it yet?

cpjr
Dec 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
did you get it yet?

Yea it came in last week. No problems yet.

JoelBC
Dec 31, 2012, 07:34 AM
I am now confused...are these the same companies or two competing companies:

1. http://theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Specs.html

2. http://theniftyminidrive.com/

And, if they are two different companies, what are the pros / cons of each.

Joel

cpjr
Jan 1, 2013, 03:35 PM
I am now confused...are these the same companies or two competing companies:
1. http://theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Specs.html
2. http://theniftyminidrive.com/
Joel

I think they are different, #2 is the original.

They are basically the same thing except for price. #1 is plastic and #2 is metal.

curmudgeon32
Jan 2, 2013, 02:33 PM

Oops, my mistake, sorry! I read this "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic." and was an idiot and didn't read further.

lukekarts
Feb 4, 2013, 05:27 AM
It might be of interest to you guys... I received my Nifty Minidrive Air last Thursday. Did not expect it until this week so haven't currently got a 32GB Mini SDHC card to try, but I'm hopeful it will arrive today.

It does look well made, nice finish, aluminium matches my Air almost perfectly. The fit is not perfectly flush and it doesn't sit 100% straight but I can't see a fault with the Minidrive and actually SD cards never quite fit perfectly in my Air anyway.

When the card arrives I'll let you guys know if it works! :)

ihonda
Feb 4, 2013, 10:33 AM
whats the battery drain like using this

emartins
Feb 4, 2013, 04:10 PM
I just ordered the minidrive and a 64gb mini sd card. Total price was $67 on amazon. I had a $50 gift card so I figured $17 isnt to bad.

Seamaster
Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 AM
Very mixed views from those that have received their Minidrives:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive/comments

I agree with lukekarts above. It does the job, but the quality's far short of that claimed by the makers in their sporadic Kickstarter updates.

webwbr
Feb 6, 2013, 12:58 PM
Does anybody here have this one for the Raspberry PI?

http://www.adafruit.com/products/966

I don't like it as well as the Nifty (which many seems disappointed in), but it seems nicer than than the minidrive.

cpjr
Feb 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
anyone try this ?

http://www.theminidrive.com/external_photos/v1_360-rotationb.gif

A Hebrew
Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
Is there a TRUSTED place to buy one of those nicer looking ones? I don't really trust KickStart project thing.

JonLa
Feb 16, 2013, 09:55 AM
My Nifty Minidrive arrived today.

I've been using a cut down cheap card like the ones mentioned earlier in this thread, complete with bit of tape to pull it in and out, so I've had the extra storage for a while.

I use a 64GB mini SD to store my itunes music library on a 2010 Air - I used Tunespan to split the library between two locations and it worked well with the cut down card.

So - my Minidrive - arrived today, ordered in the early days of the kickstarted. As reported elsewhere, there's slightly too much glue welding the drive to the packaging, but it's akin to the glue that holds cds to music magazines - with a bit of a wrestle you can get it all off.

Other than that it fits well in the slot - a tiny gap between the green of the drive end and the housing above it but I didn't expect it to fill the SD card slot so tightly it was difficult to remove.

And that's it - it works - my itunes library is as fast to access as before, I can write to the card, and I no longer have an ugly chopped down plastic card sticking out of the slot ever so slightly with a bit of tape on the end.

JHUFrank
Feb 19, 2013, 05:53 PM
Still waiting on my Nifty Mini Drive.

77slevin
Feb 21, 2013, 04:55 AM
I bought and paid for 2 Nifty mini drives in early September, just after the run ended on Kickstarter. Just got my confirmation mail that they're being shipped to me. Didn't think I would ever get the drives. When ordering, they said delivery would be late December.:rolleyes:

Problem 1 with Nifty and customers: Give feedback on the status of their order. I mailed them 3 times asking for estimated delivery times and they never answered.

macAllen
Feb 21, 2013, 06:10 AM
When do you guys think the Nifty minidrive will be available to the general public?

From what I can see they can even take care of their backers..

CultofMac says from CES "You can pick one up at the end of the month in Feb/March for $40"
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/209484/nifty-mini-drive-really-is-nifty-ces2013/#blyWIvEL18MBVBrO.99

Im debating if I should just order from their competitor on Amazon, looks like they have one too, with out a cheap pull tab.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFMUT7Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
Product Page http://www.theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Product%28s%29.html

77slevin
Feb 21, 2013, 06:29 AM
It's been available for everyone since early September. I'm no Kickstarter backer and ordered then.

Just order from their competitor. they started after the Nifty-Kickstarter and are able to deliver since October through Amazon.com. (+ It's cheaper)

macAllen
Feb 21, 2013, 06:37 AM
It's been available for everyone since early September. I'm no Kickstarter backer and ordered then.

Well sold out. http://theniftyminidrive.com/

I'm asking if anyone has a clue when they'll be back or has ordered the new "The minidrive" one from amazon...

emartins
Feb 21, 2013, 10:09 AM
I ordered the one from amazon with a 64gb card and at a $1 a gig that it cost, I couldnt be any happier. I was able to free up 54gb of space off my air. It does have that little tab but the tab does not stick out of the side of the air. Everything is perfectly flush. I didnt care that it was plastic as no one will be able to see it once it was inserted in anyway.

I would recommend it for people who dont want to wait.

77slevin
Feb 21, 2013, 10:52 AM
I didnt care that it was plastic as no one will be able to see it once it was inserted in anyway.

I would recommend it for people who dont want to wait.

Why does everybody on every forum think that the Nifty drive is made of metal. That was the initial plan, but they changed it to plastic in the course of the Kickstarter-run. This is a quote from the site: "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic."

So you did the smart thing, yours was cheaper, faster delivered and of the same quality.

emartins
Feb 21, 2013, 11:18 AM
Why does everybody on every forum think that the Nifty drive is made of metal. That was the initial plan, but they changed it to plastic in the course of the Kickstarter-run. This is a quote from the site: "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic."

So you did the smart thing, yours was cheaper, faster delivered and of the same quality.

I didnt realize that they changed it over to plastic. The only advantage I saw was that it did look a little cleaner since they made theirs to sit perfectly flush with the Air. With the one I have it just looks like their is nothing in there at all. At a closer glance you can see the tab.

77slevin
Feb 22, 2013, 11:17 AM

Let me rephrase that statement a little bit: after reading the comments on the Nifty kickstarter page from customers who have received their drives, they are a complete mess, badly build and have traces of glue everywhere. They also report that because the way the drive is made, an error occurs when you try to save something to the microsd card. The computer thinks that the sd card is write protected so it doesn't allow writing to it. This can be remedied by sticking a piece of paper behind the microsd card or cutting a notch in the Nifty drive. :mad: Conclusion: even your build quality is better.

JonLa
Feb 23, 2013, 03:23 AM
Er hello.... Just a few posts above I posted that I'd received my mini drive and all was well. None of the problems you mention and I'm sure that's true for most people. Remember the Internet rule that happy customers never post but the unhappy always do....

77slevin
Feb 23, 2013, 04:08 AM
Sure I know, It's mostly disgruntled people who seek out forums to post their grievances, but let's be honest here, If you look at the messages people post on the kickstarter board and see the pictures of the received drives they took, well I'm not at all impressed by the build quality. A fair number of people are reporting that the metal part oft the front of the Nifty drive came loose from the plastic part of the card even before using it. And the metal part is the part your are pulling at to take the card out of your computer! Also, the not being able to write to the card-error because the microsd card slides to deep in the Nifty drive, is a defect that should have been caught in the test phase of the project. A proposed workaround is to stick a piece of scotch tape over the card, so the SD slot doesn't think your card is write-protected. That's just sloppy. And remember: these are just the customers reporting in who have received their drives. The rest of us are still waiting...

siepjan
Feb 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
Er hello.... Just a few posts above I posted that I'd received my mini drive and all was well. None of the problems you mention and I'm sure that's true for most people. Remember the Internet rule that happy customers never post but the unhappy always do....

I can confirm your explenation.

Here is also a very happy Nifty MiniDrive user! :D
No read problem and also no breaking parts (maybe because I am very careful?).

Only comment I have that I recieved also a extra Nifty MiniDrive Retina (silver) that I didn't ordered/payed :p I don't even own a Macbook Pro Retina... So are here any interested buyers??? :rolleyes:

JonLa
Feb 24, 2013, 07:52 AM
but what can I say? There's no evidence of a design defect in my minidrive -my SDXC card went straight in, reads and writes. So is that a design defect or just a couple of dodgy early units that missed QC?

Muscle Master
Feb 28, 2013, 02:59 PM
any updates.. did any other people get their cards

77slevin
Feb 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
Yes, I received mine last Tuesday.(phew, it only took 6 months) The one I bought for my Air works flawlessly, the one for my MacBook Pro sadly has the read-only error.:( I've tried the workaround that was posted on the Kickstarter message board and it works. You have to stick a piece of tape over the microSD card. I've mailed the people from Nifty to ask how they are going to remedy this. I'm waiting for an answer.

lcseds
Feb 28, 2013, 05:29 PM
I finally got a refund. By the time I got the darn thing, I would be buying a replacement system (June-July). And then it may not work for the new system. So I will wait, let QA get settled down and inventory levels up, then I will try again with the new 'puter.

LordDeath
Feb 28, 2013, 06:01 PM
I also received my Nifty MiniDrive and it is working well in my MBA. But there seems to be a problem with Time Machine:
Whenever I open its settings the SD Card appears in the list of excluded items. It seems like Apple is preventing backups of removable media.
Is there a known workaround for this "feature"?

Muscle Master
Feb 28, 2013, 06:14 PM
I also received my Nifty MiniDrive and it is working well in my MBA. But there seems to be a problem with Time Machine:
Whenever I open its settings the SD Card appears in the list of excluded items. It seems like Apple is preventing backups of removable media.
Is there a known workaround for this "feature"?

It might be the format...

I ordered "The Minidrive" from amazon.. I'll be sure to post a review, soon as my retina get here

LordDeath
Feb 28, 2013, 06:18 PM
It might be the format...

The first thing it did was formatting it to HFS+. (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility)

Muscle Master
Feb 28, 2013, 06:19 PM
The first thing it did was formatting it to HFS+. (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility)

Why not FAT32...

LordDeath
Feb 28, 2013, 06:32 PM
Why not FAT32...

Is was going to move some big folders from ~/Library/Application\ Support/ to the MicroSD Card and in their place leave behind a symlink pointing to the new location. Fat32 doesn't have the usual permissions management and other important features.
And afaik Time Machine only works with HFS+ file systems. (both for target and source)

ARSkemp
Feb 28, 2013, 08:13 PM
Received my Nifty Minidrive Air today. Quality seems decent (not excellent, but pretty good). Fits well (barely feel it slightly sunk in when sliding my finger over it) and no read/write issues. Color matches very nicely with Apple's aluminum. Other than possibly it being all aluminum there is not much I can find fault with it.

Since I do not think anyone has posted pictures I took a few (You will have to live with cell phone pics since that's all I got).

http://imageshack.us/a/img26/3365/photofeb2855415pm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/7418/photofeb2855443pm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/3348/photofeb2855224pm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/56/photofeb2855153pm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img209/1459/photofeb2855319pm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/687/photofeb2855047pm.jpg

LordDeath
Mar 1, 2013, 11:15 AM
Is there a way to mark the SDCard as an internal drive? This way we could get rid of the eject button in Finder and maybe this would solve my Time Machine issue.

LordDeath
Mar 2, 2013, 04:40 PM
Has anyone noticed this? https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392
According to Apple the "Suspend To Disk"-mode (S4) will not work as long as a SD card is inserted into the slot.
Are we now really limited to the "Suspend To Ram"-mode (S3) or is this knowledge base entry outdated?

Muscle Master
Mar 3, 2013, 08:50 AM
Is there a way to mark the SDCard as an internal drive? This way we could get rid of the eject button in Finder and maybe this would solve my Time Machine issue.

I don't think so.. I think the ad card slot was always mapped as an external drive port

JonLa
Mar 4, 2013, 10:27 AM
Has anyone noticed this? https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392
According to Apple the "Suspend To Disk"-mode (S4) will not work as long as a SD card is inserted into the slot.
Are we now really limited to the "Suspend To Ram"-mode (S3) or is this knowledge base entry outdated?

It mentions power nap, which I have enabled anyway, so I suspect it's up to date.

Dr99
Mar 4, 2013, 10:39 AM
If anyone couldn't get in on the first wave of nifty drives and is interested, PM me. I ordered a silver one and ended up getting an 11" Air instead of the 13".

Kelped
Mar 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
Received my Nifty Minidrive Air today. Quality seems decent (not excellent, but pretty good). Fits well (barely feel it slightly sunk in when sliding my finger over it) and no read/write issues. Color matches very nicely with Apple's aluminum. Other than possibly it being all aluminum there is not much I can find fault with it.

Since I do not think anyone has posted pictures I took a few (You will have to live with cell phone pics since that's all I got).

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img26/3365/photofeb2855415pm.jpg)

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img856/7418/photofeb2855443pm.jpg)

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img4/3348/photofeb2855224pm.jpg)

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img812/56/photofeb2855153pm.jpg)

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img209/1459/photofeb2855319pm.jpg)

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img849/687/photofeb2855047pm.jpg)

Very nice. It looks like the minidrives are out of stock until May, but some people are still selling them on Amazon for $20. Where'd you get yours from, and how much did you pay?

ARSkemp
Mar 28, 2013, 03:26 PM
Very nice. It looks like the minidrives are out of stock until May, but some people are still selling them on Amazon for $20. Where'd you get yours from, and how much did you pay?

I was part of the initial group who funded the kickstarter project.

Kelped
Mar 28, 2013, 03:35 PM
I was part of the initial group who funded the kickstarter project.

Who do you think these sellers on Amazon are? Do they seem legit?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AL1385C/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

pat12
Mar 28, 2013, 05:17 PM
Is there any good solution for 13" MBP Retina? :confused:

I ordered theminidrive (http://theminidrive.com) which is a copy of the Nifty, they said on the homepage that it would work but it didnīt and they then changed the information on their homepage.

I am now looking for a good solution to expand my storage by at least 32-64GB without having anything that is sticking out from the laptop. Any ideas?

ARSkemp
Mar 28, 2013, 08:24 PM
Who do you think these sellers on Amazon are? Do they seem legit?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AL1385C/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I honestly do not have the knowledge to tell you one way or another. I others have been having issues even with the original nifty (the one I own).

jkim13
Mar 29, 2013, 06:49 PM
I just bought a minidrive from Amazon. Received it in 2 days and it's working great! There are a couple different versions on there. One that says for both Pro and Air which is the cheapest ($20). There's one for the Air, and another one for Pro which are more expensive ($30). If you get the ones specific for Air or Pro, it comes with a painted plastic edge that looks almost the same as Nifty. The other ones don't have a plastic edge and comes with a piece of tape as a removal tool

JHUFrank
Apr 3, 2013, 10:26 PM
Got my Nifty Mini Drive in red a couple of weeks ago, and it is working great. 64 gig card in it. Workmanship was good too. Happy with the product.

ColdCase
Apr 4, 2013, 07:36 AM
Is there any good solution for 13" MBP Retina? :confused:

I ordered theminidrive (http://theminidrive.com) which is a copy of the Nifty, they said on the homepage that it would work but it didnīt and they then changed the information on their homepage.

I am now looking for a good solution to expand my storage by at least 32-64GB without having anything that is sticking out from the laptop. Any ideas?

The MBP slot opening is thinner than the MBA. The plastic end piece on the minidrive adapter is too thick to fit. I sanded one down and the adapter fits just fine. Dunno why they initially said that the model would fit the MBP.

Edwin124
Apr 4, 2013, 06:05 PM
can you run bootcamp off one of the microSD cards using one of these nifty drive thingys?

Cidtek
Apr 4, 2013, 10:28 PM
can you run bootcamp off one of the microSD cards using one of these nifty drive thingys?

Or install a VM for that matter.

lightningslow
Sep 13, 2013, 08:07 AM
Having been interested in the Minidrive since its inception, i am utterly disgusted at the price within the EU. Its in euros, but it translates into Ģ30 for me.

I appreciate this is a startup company but the price is so outrageous when people are buying them for $20 elsewhere, it just seems like a total mickey take to me when prices across the pond are double, or more.

stevenz
Nov 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
For $40 for what amounts to a simple adapter, I would expect the Nifty unit to be of excellent quality. The competition units sound like they're of fairly poor quality also, are these just companies hitting the consumers with a particularly large amount of Apple Tax, or is there more to it?

cerberusss
Nov 14, 2013, 04:25 PM
The competition units sound like they're of fairly poor quality

On eBay, search for "hiddensuit" (not a typo, one word). I've got this mini drive ripoff and it sits completely flush in the MBA. I like it a lit. It's reasonable quality, and it's cheap as well. Since it's just a simple adapter, speed depends on the Micro SD you put into it.

ECJ
Nov 14, 2013, 06:16 PM
I looked at the NiftyDrive, but it was out of stock for my model. I checked eBay, and picked up the Baseqi adapter. Paired that with the Samsung Pro 64gb microSD (70mb/s read). So far that pair has worked perfectly this past week.

tobeornottobe
Nov 15, 2013, 07:43 AM
Anyone knows if you can backup files to your sd card using time machine??

brberg
Nov 15, 2013, 05:01 PM

Yes, I'm 90% sure this is possible. Only reason I'm not 100% sure is because I haven't received my new Macbook Air to confirm. However, from reading here I know folks are doing this regularly. In fact, I just ordered the 128GB PNY StorEdge memory card to use for this very purpose. Should work nicely and it was especially nice that Amazon had it for less than $100.

iLuvMyMacToo
Nov 15, 2013, 05:33 PM
This is an awesome thread thanks everyone. I ordered a Nifty Minidrive today and a 64GB micro card. It'll store my iTunes library (music, movies etc).

ECJ
Nov 18, 2013, 04:53 PM

Yes, it works fine on my end. I've only used 40GB on my SSD so far. So the 64GB works just fine. I guess when I start to use more of the SSD, I'll have to manually choose which folders to backup, since the 64GB won't cut it.

One thing to watch for is, that to back up the 40GB, it took 7 1/2 hours. I have a pretty fast Samsung Pro microSD card, which tops out at 70 mb/s read and 20 mb/s write.