PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MBA + BookBook + GA carbon fiber = multiple levels of badassery

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:01 PM
Love my 13" (ultimate :o) Macbook Air. Speed, size, screen*, battery life, weight, functionality, the whole enchilada. Quite a change coming from the 2008 Unibody Aluminum Macbook.

Catch myself carrying this around with me all over the house with nary a second thought. Typing, editing documents, doing some work in XP and W7, emails, iPhoto editing, nothing I can't do on this machine.

I'm protective of it. When I sit with it on the shade on my back porch and journal, I'm aware of leaving sweat on the palm rests. When I put it on the metal patio table, I grimace a bit if I feel the tiniest bit of friction, imagining deep grooves being cut into my pristine bottom surface.

After reading about the bookbook by twelvesouth, and reading the reviews on the applestore, I thought this would be a great way to discreetly haul my macbook around in and out of the house.

I am really, really digging it. It looks like an old, old hornbook, and fits in well with my job as an attorney. Adequate protection, and it disguises the Air so well it is almost subversive. Can use it to tote the air with me by itself, or use it around the house within the case for a bit of added protection. Felt lining protects the outside of the Air, and two velcro straps hold the corners of the screen in place without fitting too snugly. Aside from looking TOO good, and drawing attention from bibliophiles and antique hunters, you almost have to hold it to realize it's not an old book. It feels so unique and almost subversive. $79 on ebay, no tax, free shipping, brand new.

Step two, black carbon fiber from my local ghost armor mall kiosk (right across from the apple store). Roughly a hundred bucks with installation, but I'm not sweating the price. Comes with professional installation and a lifetime warranty. Yes, yes, icarbon's are fifty bucks. But considering it took the guys who do this for a living 25 minutes to do a professional install, paying an extra fifty to not have to spend an hour or more fiddling with bifocals and reading glasses is worth it. Especially since I know I can't install it that well.

Great scratch protection, and it just looks effin' sharp. You'd swear it came this way from cupertino. Nice feel, great texture (easier to grip) without adding any extra weight or bulk.

Best of all, it's a BLACKBOOK AIR! Boo-yeah!:D Always loved the look of the blackbooks, but they pale in comparison to the BB Air. Oh, and in case you're wondering, the trackpad works just fine with the carbon fiber on it. The form and styling of the airs are nice, but the black just makes it look so much more professional. Not having an air that looks like everyone elses makes it seem even more exceptional. The original macbook air was derided as the 'corporate executive's netbook', I feel like I've got the President's laptop.

You know you've got the shizznit when you've got people coming over to look over your rig and ask you questions at the apple atore, especially if most of them are wearing blue and or black shirts.:D

Hate, hate, HATE the marware clear silicone keyboard cover (Apple store didn't stock the Moshi, thanks, guys...). It's just so damned sticky, feels like my keyboard's covered in no-pest strips. Anyone have a hint or tip for me to relieve myself of this tacky situation?

Sorry about the less than stellar photos, taken with iPhone 3GS camera. Having to dig out the batteries and chargers for my real cameras, and then charge them up, would take too long. I'd rather post this now.

Thank you in advance for your comments and smart-ass remarks.:o

glen e
Aug 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
I have the exact same thing in all respects..except 11....BB and CF ...but really , icarbons go on so easily , you could have saved some money there...the material is like flexible card stock so it just lays on perfectly.....corners lay down with 2secs of a hair dryer....

Suggest kiwi clear leather cleaner for the bookbook....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/4688d125.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/36c30e1b.jpg
With water field sleeve and CF:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/bf2c7c17.jpg

eyespii
Aug 5, 2011, 09:10 PM
Lets get some pics up!!

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:15 PM
Okay, let's try some crappy pictures...

Caption 1: "By the way, Ghost Armor Guy, I'll be blogging and posting this to MacRumors. No Pressure."

Caption 2: You CAN judge a (mac)book by its cover.

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:18 PM
substandard photos part deux

Caption 1: BookBook's spine.

Caption 2: horrid picture of blackbook air in it's bookbook.

Caption 3: Top down picture of my Macbook Air in its new Tux!

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:20 PM
now for some really blurry pics

Caption 1: My bottom has not been neglected.

Caption 2: Look Ma, a racing stripe!

Caption 3: Proof I'm not a professional photographer with an iphone 3gs.

eyespii
Aug 5, 2011, 09:21 PM
Okay, let's try some crappy pictures...

looks excellent my friend! Too bad they can't cover the border around the screen too though, huh?

go4theko
Aug 5, 2011, 09:24 PM
not feelin the carbon fiber on the trackpad, but thats just me. Its a little overkill.

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:31 PM
I have the exact same thing in all respects..except 11....BB and CF ...but really , icarbons go on so easily , you could have saved some money there...the material is like flexible card stock so it just lays on perfectly.....corners lay down with 2secs of a hair dryer....

Suggest kiwi clear leather cleaner for the bookbook....
Image (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/4688d125.jpg)
Image (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/36c30e1b.jpg)
With water field sleeve and CF:
Image (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/bf2c7c17.jpg)

Nice pics. Mine looks just as awesome....except it's BIGGER!:eek:

I hear what you're saying about the DIY application, but I'm a white collar professional in his forties whose eyes are shot to hell. Twenty or tens years ago, sure.

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:39 PM
looks excellent my friend! Too bad they can't cover the border around the screen too though, huh?

Yeah, but it may be a little tough to get it around the macbook air logo. I'm also wondering that two layers of carbon would keep the screen from opening.

glen e
Aug 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
Nice pics. Mine looks just as awesome....except it's BIGGER!:eek:

I hear what you're saying about the DIY application, but I'm a white collar professional in his forties whose eyes are shot to hell. Twenty or tens years ago, sure.

That's what so easy about it, i'm a Corp trainer with no eyes left either and 60!!....lol

May do may KB surface but, will stay naked on the trakpad to make it pop...

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:42 PM
not feelin the carbon fiber on the trackpad, but thats just me. Its a little overkill.

Not sure about it, either. But I can peel it off with no ill effects in under a minute.

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:46 PM
Now then, for super customizing....

...I'm contemplating taking the book book to a book binder to see if he can put a label on the front in the same antique gold, faded lettering. But what to have it say?

Possibly, "Proof of how Clyde is Awesome, Volume XII"

What do you think would be good?

glen e
Aug 5, 2011, 09:52 PM
I'd go super stealth with something really boring like

"Household Accounting Journal"

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:54 PM
"The Collected Wit and Wisdom of Alan Greenspan"

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 10:29 PM
Let's try with a quasi real camera...

TimDavis
Aug 5, 2011, 11:41 PM
Woah, i have almost the EXact set-up :eek:

ii have the 11inch ultimate with a bookbook and a dark brown/ blackish leather coating like your carbon fibre one and a secondary waterfeild smart case. the one you slip your macbook air into vertically.

Good taste :P although ill admit it cost alotta money

i bought all my stuff online, I've never heard of any places where i can get install for my brown leather (fake leather) coating where i live (van). Hopefully i can do a decent job!:D

Do you find that your bookbook's zipper scratches your mba at all?

clyde2801
Aug 6, 2011, 12:23 AM
Woah, i have almost the EXact set-up :eek:

ii have the 11inch ultimate with a bookbook and a dark brown/ blackish leather coating like your carbon fibre one and a secondary waterfeild smart case. the one you slip your macbook air into vertically.

Good taste :P although ill admit it cost alotta money

i bought all my stuff online, I've never heard of any places where i can get install for my brown leather (fake leather) coating where i live (van). Hopefully i can do a decent job!:D

Do you find that your bookbook's zipper scratches your mba at all?

Not so far, but I'm kind of anal about it.

TimDavis
Aug 6, 2011, 02:51 AM
Is it possible for it to scratch? I'm surprised theres not another strap to hold onto the bottom part of the laptop...? weird.:mad:

i0Nic
Aug 6, 2011, 03:34 AM
I still don't know why people buy beautiful gadgets and cover them up with tacky skins and accessories.

All the unnecessary money spent to cover the device and uglify it. In a year or two when it's time for reselling, the few tiny scratches the device might receive and reduce the price of the laptop is offset by the money spent to hide it away and keep it in 'mint' condition.

http://basicinstructions.squarespace.com/storage/2011-08-02-smartphone.gif

clyde2801
Aug 6, 2011, 05:20 AM
Disagree with you, at least in this case. I don't think the black looks bad on the air, in addition to protecting it and making it distinctive, the carbon improves the look. I rambled a bit in the first post, granted. But did you even read it?

Ditto for the bookbook. It's nice to have a cover and a look that's not like everyone else's.

Duke15
Aug 6, 2011, 09:40 AM
wow looks awesome, thinking of doing the same but with Icarbon, does the palm rests feel weird at all?

clyde2801
Aug 6, 2011, 01:56 PM
Nope. Don't even mind it on the trackpad. I don't sweat it when I sweat on it.

Ugh, HATE the tacky feel of this marware keyboard cover! Suggestions to resolve this, or an idea for a better one?

Alaerian
Aug 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
As a new owner of the BookBook iPhone case, I really do like their MBA case.

However, I'm definitely not a fan of the carbon fiber. I really don't understand why people use it - literally, I don't understand. It's just unattractive. :confused:

clyde2801
Aug 6, 2011, 02:17 PM
As a new owner of the BookBook iPhone case, I really do like their MBA case.

However, I'm definitely not a fan of the carbon fiber. I really don't understand why people use it - literally, I don't understand. It's just unattractive. :confused:

I respect your difference of opinion. I could try to make an argument against it, but it would be as pointless as trying to convince you that waffles are better than french toast.*

Not for everyone, I admit. I think it looks best on the top of the case, and is most necessary on the bottom; the trackpad and around the keyboard strips probably could be foregone if you wanted a cleaner look to your air.

I just like to have an air that's a bit different from most people's, and I do like the black. Again, the blackbook is still a perennial favorite to mobile mac masters.

*And they are, waffles rock!

clyde2801
Aug 6, 2011, 05:02 PM
Still pondering what, if any, custom antiqued gold lettering to have put on the front of the book book. I'm thinking 'Un Trésor est Caché aux Présentes', French for 'A Treasure is Concealed Herein'.

tekksan
Aug 6, 2011, 05:23 PM
I have the iCarbon skin on my 2011 MBA and think it looks really good. It's not really *that* difficult to put on. I don't use any kind of protection for the trackpad.

No offense, but I don't see how people like that Book case thing.

clyde2801
Aug 6, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have the iCarbon skin on my 2011 MBA and think it looks really good. It's not really *that* difficult to put on. I don't use any kind of protection for the trackpad.

No offense, but I don't see how people like that Book case thing.

I'll pair you with alaerian so you two can fight to the death.

And I'll bet 1000 quatloos on the newcomer...

MilkMan4
Aug 6, 2011, 06:50 PM
does anyone have a white icarbon?

glen e
Aug 6, 2011, 08:03 PM
With xgear cover
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/cb4eb5ca.jpg
Without
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/70328b6a.jpg

clyde2801
Aug 6, 2011, 10:28 PM
Nice looking iPad. Is it a white fronted one, or did you make yourself an Oreo?

japanime
Aug 7, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hate, hate, HATE the marware clear silicone keyboard cover (Apple store didn't stock the Moshi, thanks, guys...). It's just so damned sticky, feels like my keyboard's covered in no-pest strips. Anyone have a hint or tip for me to relieve myself of this tacky situation?

Get rid of the Marware cover and order the Moshi online. You've already spent a lot on all the other stuff, so what's a few more bucks for the Moshi? It's definitely worth every penny.

Esquire1
Aug 7, 2011, 01:07 AM
I love carbon fiber but not a fan of your MBA. Looks too slapped on to me. But I like your attempt to make the MBA yours.

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 06:27 AM
Get rid of the Marware cover and order the Moshi online. You've already spent a lot on all the other stuff, so what's a few more bucks for the Moshi? It's definitely worth every penny.

Yeah, if the Moshi doesn't have the sticky feeling, may have to pop for it. Just kind of miffed my local apple store doesn't have it.

And, why can't I see online if my apple store has or doesn't have an item in stock? If frakkin' Best Buy can do it, there's absolutely no reason why Apple can't.:mad:

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 07:02 AM
I love carbon fiber but not a fan of your MBA. Looks too slapped on to me. But I like your attempt to make the MBA yours.

Yeah, the trackpad and bottom pieces are just a bit off perfect. I can deal with the bottom piece-honestly, even I'm not that anal retentive, but the trackpad is off a bit to the left. It detracts from the maximum badassery of the overall installation.

I think my 11 and 13 were the first ones this kiosk has done, and there was a couple of air owners behind me. The 11" was done picture perfect by the kiosk owner pictured above, but I think his help got just a bit rushed by the last couple of pieces on mine. Should have picked up on the hint when he asked me if I really wanted it installed on the trackpad.

May just have to have them do an reinstall on just the trackpad. I adjusted it a little bit myself-it honestly doesn't appear as hard to do as the 'wet' install of regular ghost armor on an ipad-but I did pay for a professional installation. If my eyes weren't shot, it wouldn't be too bad of a DIY job. I have to determine whether or not that extra percentage of a millimeter off is worth an hour of my time to haul this back to the mall.

I also found a screensaver to make the screen mirror the top lid...silver apple on a black screen. The apple could be a lot sharper-bit fuzzy-but it's a nice effect. Will have to look for a sharper image. NOT a fan of the screensaver on the icarbon website...1) their logo takes up way too much space, and 2) I would like the scree to mirror the top of the case. Oh, well...

And it appears the icarbon can be stetched a bit if manhandled. Guess that can be a good thing in the hands (and eyes!) of someone who knows what they're doing.

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thought I'd throw up the link to the apple carbon wallpaper...not an exact match for the icarbon, but a dandy little wallpaper. Looks so good I almost don't want to open any applications:

http://www.wallpapers-room.com/2845/filter/popular/apple/1024x768/10/

You're welcome!

BigB82
Aug 7, 2011, 02:58 PM
I am curious when you use the book book which looks AWESOME btw, where do you carry the charger?

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
I am curious when you use the book book which looks AWESOME btw, where do you carry the charger?

I stick it in my front pocket to compensate....for carrying such a tiny laptop!

Seriously, I use the book book for short trips where others would use a sleeve.

Duke15
Aug 7, 2011, 04:24 PM
icarbon.com is offering 25% off all they're products until the end of the day, use the code FACEBOOK25, you use it right at the end of checkout. I just ordered mine!

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 7, 2011, 04:25 PM
Ugly skin is ugly.

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 04:48 PM
To each his own. But even if you decide you don't like it, you can peel it off with no ill effects.

patrickq
Aug 7, 2011, 04:50 PM
I still don't know why people buy beautiful gadgets and cover them up with tacky skins and accessories.

All the unnecessary money spent to cover the device and uglify it. In a year or two when it's time for reselling, the few tiny scratches the device might receive and reduce the price of the laptop is offset by the money spent to hide it away and keep it in 'mint' condition.

Image (http://basicinstructions.squarespace.com/storage/2011-08-02-smartphone.gif)

I agree with you about being hyper protective and think the cartoons are great, really make the point.

I've always just used something in the way intended, rather than trying to keep it pristine. When working as a photographer, my Nikon cameras were scratched and worn, because they were being used rather than being carried around in protective cases, but they worked fine because they were built well.

I think the black carbon finish and the book covers are more to do with adding style and individuality, you think it makes the Air uglier, others think it makes them look better. Different tastes is all it is.

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 05:00 PM
I agree with you about being hyper protective and think the cartoons are great, really make the point.

I've always just used something in the way intended, rather than trying to keep it pristine. When working as a photographer, my Nikon cameras were scratched and worn, because they were being used rather than being carried around in protective cases, but they worked fine because they were built well.

I think the black carbon finish and the book covers are more to do with adding style and individuality, you think it makes the Air uglier, others think it makes them look better. Different tastes is all it is.

Couldn't agree with you more. Nice to see some thoughtful discussion. Trying to upload the pictures of the slightly straightened out trackpad and the new wallpaper.

edit...oh god, that picture was horrible.

japanime
Aug 7, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah, if the Moshi doesn't have the sticky feeling, may have to pop for it. Just kind of miffed my local apple store doesn't have it.

And, why can't I see online if my apple store has or doesn't have an item in stock? If frakkin' Best Buy can do it, there's absolutely no reason why Apple can't.:mad:

I don't find the Moshi to be sticky at all, and it fits the keys like a glove. It's not quite as easy to type on as a bare keyboard, but the small tradeoff is worth it to me. No greasy keys!

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 06:20 PM
I don't find the Moshi to be sticky at all, and it fits the keys like a glove. It's not quite as easy to type on as a bare keyboard, but the small tradeoff is worth it to me. No greasy keys!

Best place to get one?

glen e
Aug 7, 2011, 06:26 PM
Best place to get one?

Amazon for me

hachaboob
Aug 7, 2011, 08:00 PM
That looks absolutely terrible. You have turned a beautiful machine into an eye sore. To each their own...

clyde2801
Aug 8, 2011, 07:11 AM
Okay, it sounds like I'm being defensive, but it does look pretty sharp in person. The photos don't do it justice. Blame my poor phototography skills, but spare my Air!;) It's not just my Momma thinking it looks sharp, the reaction taking my Air into the Apple store was 'Wow', not "eh'.

Some may opine it's being overly protective, but I challenge anyone to admit that they don't feel some sense of deflation and loss that comes with the first scratch or dent on their brand new machine. It's similar to that sharp involuntary exhale you have when you walk into the parking lot and find someone left the first door ding or scratch on your new (or certified used) car.

And I think patricq hit the nail on the head, it is about adding a level of individuality and uniqueness to the machine as much as some level of scratch and dirt protection. Walk into a starbucks or other wifi hotspot, and see all the silver and white cases bearing glowing apple logos. Best of all, it easily comes off with no ill effects. I always thought the black macbooks were fairly sharp, others may disagree. And I haven't found a more customizable skin that strikes me enough to purchase and install on my machine; I'm not particularly inspired to put a suicide girls or calvin urinating on a windows logo graphic on my machine.

I think, as more people get turned onto Macs, this customization is going to get more and more common, and I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Although Mac purists will disagree. Apple used to sell blackbooks, and before that, iMacs and iPods in different colors. This allows people to have individuality while allowing apple to keep its product line relatively uncomplicated (imagine what hell it would be for a blue shirt to try to find a tangerine macbook air with a samsung screen and toshiba SSD:D). This will just allow some people to be different from the rest of us who think different.

Fasailmac
Aug 8, 2011, 07:30 AM
I'm contemplating getting the BookBook for my 11 inch macbook air. Does it add a lot of thickness and how large is the overall footprint? Also try posting more pics of it pweeeeeeez

clyde2801
Aug 8, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm contemplating getting the BookBook for my 11 inch macbook air. Does it add a lot of thickness and how large is the overall footprint? Also try posting more pics of it pweeeeeeez

Okay, you masochist, here goes:

clyde2801
Aug 8, 2011, 07:57 AM
Okay, the second photo on the black countertop wasn't such a good idea.:o But it was the only way I could avoid taking a side on photo without taking a wide shot of the kitchen (and avoid certain death at the hands of the spousal unit).

Bookbook adds a little extra space and width to the Air, but not terribly so for the protection it provides. And the elastic straps hold the air securely but allows for easy and quick in ad out.

PurpleMarmalade
Aug 8, 2011, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't put the carbon fibre on there, but I absolutely appreciate why you have done so. I also know a lot of attorneys (I'm a Law Professor), and I imagine that 'look' would fit in nicely in a corporate law firm. It gives the laptop a made-in-Cupertino-and-customised-in-Berlin feel to it; a design choice similar to buying a BMW or an Audi.

I'm surprised, though, that the carbon on the trackpad isn't an irritation - does it not impede the glide on pad itself, or result in a different texture?

Obviously, as an academic, I'm a huge fan of the Bookbook (although, being ultra-critical, cutting-edge carbon fibre and a faux-distressed fake tome perhaps aren't obvious partners.) Unfortunately, being an academic, I'm also horribly poor, and so I just sling my laptop in a beaten-up old rucksack, or satchel if I need to look presentable!

clyde2801
Aug 8, 2011, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't put the carbon fibre on there, but I absolutely appreciate why you have done so. I also know a lot of attorneys (I'm a Law Professor), and I imagine that 'look' would fit in nicely in a corporate law firm. It gives the laptop a made-in-Cupertino-and-customised-in-Berlin feel to it; a design choice similar to buying a BMW or an Audi.

I'm surprised, though, that the carbon on the trackpad isn't an irritation - does it not impede the glide on pad itself, or result in a different texture?

Obviously, as an academic, I'm a huge fan of the Bookbook (although, being ultra-critical, cutting-edge carbon fibre and a faux-distressed fake tome perhaps aren't obvious partners.) Unfortunately, being an academic, I'm also horribly poor, and so I just sling my laptop in a beaten-up old rucksack, or satchel if I need to look presentable!

1. Thanks for the compliments.
2. I thought it would, but suprisingly, the carbon fiber doesn't interfere with the trackpad functionality one little bit. Though it does provide a different fixture.
3. The incongruity of the combination appeals to me. I keep to keep using this word for the combination, but it's a little bit subversive. A aged, beaten old volume conceals an ultramodern, sheik appliance. I can imagine Q handing one to 007.
4. And much like a partnership or small firm containing lawyers with different personalities or practice areas, the combination can be quite effective.
5. At least you get a steady paycheck! Being self employed, some days are steak, other Alpo...

Alaerian
Aug 8, 2011, 05:04 PM
A aged, beaten old volume conceals an ultramodern, sheik appliance.
I think you meant "chic," unless you're a particularly large fan of Zelda. :D
All in good fun!

I just think the naked, unskinned MBA looks much more "ultramodern and chic" that something skinned.

YEEZY
Aug 8, 2011, 05:08 PM
props for the BookBook case! If I had money, I would've probably got that. The carbon fiber seems to take away from the laptop, and hopefully you got good material! But extra protection won't always hurt.

Fasailmac
Aug 8, 2011, 05:27 PM
thanks for the pics. Ordered it today.

patrickq
Aug 8, 2011, 05:32 PM
This is quite an amusing thread ;)

Clyde, thanks for noticing and liking my post, makes it worth writing ... I spent half an hour writing one for an Internet Business forum the other day and the next day they deleted the whole thread, because it was obviously too subversive (not because of my post, I hasten to add).

I had a nice solid black G3 powerbook, in fact still do, but it is obviously unusable in the real world, particularly as the hinge has gone and I rigged up a wire support frame. I much preferred the look to the silvery G4, so may well be tempted when I get an Air to change the look, if only for my own aesthetic pleasure, after all I'll be spending most of my awake hours looking at it - hopefully won't feature in too many dreams.

By the way, like the Q reference, very appropriate and hadn't even thought about Sheik being chic as it just fitted the image of Bond in the Middle East.

Patrick

clyde2801
Aug 8, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for your kindnesses, all. Whoops, guess that should have been 'chic'. Muh bad.:o

clyde2801
Aug 9, 2011, 09:56 PM
...going to order the moshi keyboard cover from buy.com (no tax or shipping) at the suggestion (urging?) of some of the posters here to see how it compares with the sticky, tacky marware.

clyde2801
Aug 16, 2011, 06:40 AM
Received Moshi keyboard protector yesterday. Works very, very well, right out of the box.:D Light and thin, no sticky or tacky sensation.

No comparison with the Marware, the Moshi hardly feels like it's even there. And unlike the Marware, the Moshi doesn't impede typing for me. Nice.

I'll just have to remember not to wring it out or fold it when I clean it.

Another nice, though secondary, benefit is the Moshi has a better fit on my Air, there's much less overlap. I.e., the edge of it doesn't stick out as far from the keyboard indentation onto the palmrest of the machine.

Don't know what I'll do with the Marware. Don't want to use it, but it just seems like a waste throwing a $25 dollar piece of silicone away....

glen e
Aug 16, 2011, 06:50 AM
Also have the moshi....very nice clean fit....I take it off in clamshell mode as it raised my temp a bit acc to istat nano widget. stays in my travel bag for when I use the MBA without home monitor.

clyde2801
Aug 16, 2011, 06:56 AM
It sounds like great minds think alike.

Then again, so do ours!;)

hefeglass
Aug 16, 2011, 09:49 AM
you seriously put some crappy textured plastic over the nice smooth glass trackpad?

to each his own i suppose!

Pipper99
Aug 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hmm, I bought the BookBook for my 13" MBA, and it's too tight: I can't get the zipper to close on the last side, and I'm afraid to force it because I don't want to scratch the MBA. Did you have to work with it to get it closed? I guess that since you have the skin on the MBA, you don't have much concern with the BookBook zipper scratching the aluminum. Maybe I should exchange mine for another and see if it fits a bit better.

Queen6
Aug 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
Have to say not for me, never really got into the wrap it all up game, none of my Apple hardware covered up. As for the professional environment, I doubt any would care, if they did it might just be for the wrong reasons...

clyde2801
Aug 16, 2011, 04:17 PM
you seriously put some crappy textured plastic over the nice smooth glass trackpad?

to each his own i suppose!

How do you REALLY feel about it?:rolleyes: The nice thing about a skin is that if I get a hair up my keister, I can peel it all off in less than a minute with no residue.

----------

Hmm, I bought the BookBook for my 13" MBA, and it's too tight: I can't get the zipper to close on the last side, and I'm afraid to force it because I don't want to scratch the MBA. Did you have to work with it to get it closed? I guess that since you have the skin on the MBA, you don't have much concern with the BookBook zipper scratching the aluminum. Maybe I should exchange mine for another and see if it fits a bit better.

Funny, no problem with mine. It comes close to it, but doesn't make contact.