PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to a third party ssd?

applefanboy4739
Aug 5, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm about to buy a baseline 13 inch MacBook air And I was wondering if the stock 128gb ssd would be enough or if I should invest in a third party ssd, like maybe a 512 one. I am going to register as an apple iOS developer and put Xcode on this computer. It will be my main computer until I get enough for the Mac pro tower I want. And don't tell me I should just get an iMac or something for 1199 because I've already decided on the air. And help is appreciated :)

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 09:49 PM
Kinda pricey, makes the i7 upgrade look like small potatoes. But whatever rows your dingy...

sloan47
Aug 5, 2011, 09:59 PM
I'm a registered iOS developer and I went with an ultimate 13"... and even with some large projects I still have 100 gigs of free space left. Anything that I'm not actively working on I just dump to an external usb drive. If you have the desire and the money then go for it... it just wouldn't be worth it to me for a 512 upgrade.

KylePowers
Aug 5, 2011, 10:43 PM
If space was a concern, just go 256GB. A 240GB third party costs more than the Apple upgrade itself.

It's just super expensive. I'd rather go USB external (cheapest alternative), wait for a cheap Thunderbolt option (this would be pretty cool), or you could go with a network attached drive (NAS)? A NAS setup would be pretty neat.