Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I have a Synology Diskstation NAS. I have 4 shares on it…1 for media, 1 called Dowloads, 1 called Storage, and a Time Machine share.

For some reason, I keep getting a lock icon on the media volume on my desktop. I've done the following things to get rid of it, temporarily, but it always comes back, seemingly only after I wake the computer from sleep.

-used Cyberduck to change the permissions on the folder to 777 recursively.
-used terminal, logged into the NAS as run chmod -R 777

I don't know if sleeping my macbook is changing the permissions. That seems like odd behavior over a network.

The other idea I had is that maybe Time Machine is changing it, even though my Time Machine is a totally different share with a different user.

My other shares, Downloads and Storage never have this issue.

The only other idea I have is that maybe it has something to do with my WDTV changing permissions, as I use that to watch movies from the media share.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to make the stupid lock icon from coming back? It's more visually annoying than anything else because I can still access the share at will…which makes it even more confusing. What kind of crappy lock is it anyway if I can always access it?

Thanks

mcdj

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Anyone?

The latest thing I tried was to create a new share, move all the stuff from screwy share, then delete the screwy share. Lo and behold, a couple of days later, the lock reappeared on the new share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.