Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I'm looking for some good webhosting services. I hope that in the future I can possibly host my website by myself, but for now, I need to find somewhere to host it. I'm still building my website at the moment, but I want to start looking for some space now. I prefer to have free hosting that lets me use my own domain and that has PHP support, but I'm open to all suggestions.

I appreciate your help.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Only free hosting is if you do it yourself. Which really isn't free in the end.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
DreamHost is far more than I need (maybe in a few decades when I'm a multibillionare ;) :p ) but Surpass hosting's Standard plan seems like it would just enough overkill so its not too much (Not sure if I worded that well enough :rolleyes: ).

I also found a free one (http://www.100webspace.come) but it seems sketchy ("too good to be true") so I was wondering if anyone had heard of this one or knew if it was any good.

I appreciate the help.

rbo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
iLikeMyiMac said:
I use dreamhost.com
You can get 2400 MB and 120 GB per month for less than $10 a year if you enter the code "777".

Did you mean to say less than $10 a month or is it really less than $10 a year?

chiiyo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Singapore
Astahost.com

Try astahost.com for free hosting that (YES!) allows php and (YES!) allows you to point your domain name at your website. Plus it has 99% uptime.

The only catch is that you must post regular and quality posts at their forums. The forums are filled with very nice people who all post regular posts because they all need the hosting credits to keep their websites alive. The community is really great and the whole hosting credits system is wonderful. And because of the hosting credits thing there is very little spam.

Just check it out. It sounded too good to be true when I first saw it but it really is all it says to be. I've been there for a few months but some of the forum goers have been registered since 2003 and everyone is full of praise for the place. It's just a shame it isn't advertised widely.

If you don't want to post you could always go for their paid hosting at computerhost.com, which has all those offers and is dedicated hosting, really cheap. Prices start from US$9.95 per YEAR. I've recommended quite a few of my friends over to Astahost and ComputingHost and no complaints yet!

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
There's nothing like having full control of your hosting server. Personally I use johncompanies.com for $45 a month you get your own FreeBSD virtual private server with root SSH access, so you can install anything that you like. You can even host websites for you friends and get some or even more than your $45 back :)

<edit> Just noticed that their $45 offer ends today!</edit>

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
gamestriker said:
DreamHost is far more than I need (maybe in a few decades when I'm a multibillionare ;) :p ) but Surpass hosting's Standard plan seems like it would just enough overkill so its not too much (Not sure if I worded that well enough :rolleyes: ).

I also found a free one (http://www.100webspace.come) but it seems sketchy ("too good to be true") so I was wondering if anyone had heard of this one or knew if it was any good.

I appreciate the help.

inly 3 gigs bandwidth, um, this is NOT too good to be true
although 3 gigs is enough for me, so i'm cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.