PDA

View Full Version : Potentially embarssing question

imahawki
Aug 5, 2011, 11:25 PM
So, I've only had macs for a few months and I still see things that throw me for a loop... what the heck is the icon between magic prefs and time machine? When I click or right click it it just says synch now. Is this something I installed and don't know what program it belongs with????

nebulos
Aug 5, 2011, 11:29 PM
this? (http://www.apple.com/support/isync/)

87racer
Aug 6, 2011, 02:32 AM
So, I've only had macs for a few months and I still see things that throw me for a loop... what the heck is the icon between magic prefs and time machine? When I click or right click it it just says synch now. Is this something I installed and don't know what program it belongs with????

It is MobileMe. BTW mine was in the process of syncing when I took the screenshot.

Check out System Preferences->MobileMe->Sync and you can turn off the icon at the bottom or just disable it entirely.

Roman2K~
Aug 6, 2011, 04:23 AM
It is MobileMe. BTW mine was in the process of syncing when I took the screenshot.

Check out System Preferences->MobileMe->Sync and you can turn off the icon at the bottom or just disable it entirely.
In the preference panel you're referring to, I don't have any option but to log in. In order to remove the icon, I had to drag the icon out of the the menu bar (holding CMD while dragging and dropping outside of the bar; the icon disappears with a kinky-looking puff).

imahawki
Aug 6, 2011, 10:38 AM
Is it because I set up address book to sync with gmail? I haven't done that on my other Macs and I don't have that icon in the bar.

bobr1952
Aug 6, 2011, 10:40 AM
That Mobil Me thing was on my iMac since I've had it--until I learned that drag and drop routine. Just get rid of it.

Variant
Aug 6, 2011, 11:10 AM
Is it because I set up address book to sync with gmail? I haven't done that on my other Macs and I don't have that icon in the bar.

Yes. Hold command and drag it off the menu bar if you want to get rid of it.

imahawki
Aug 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
Don't care about getting rid of it, I was just confused as I have an iMac and its not on it and I didn't install any synching program so I was like hey, where'd that come from! :D