PDA

View Full Version : Shaggy Mac MBA Protector Issue

ghsNick
Aug 6, 2011, 12:03 AM
So I just got this (http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=80) ShaggyMac screen protector for my new 11" MBA and the machine won't close all the way when using it.

I emailed them and want a refund...does anyone else have this problem with the new 11?

It's within 15 days so they better help me out returning this thing since it won't close with it in there.

thatdrewguy
Aug 6, 2011, 02:23 AM
Thanks for posting this as I was about to order it for my Air.

jpl6
Aug 6, 2011, 03:33 AM
Ouch, that sucks.

I got a Radtech one for my MBA 13 and it works great. No visible issue in closing the lid.

ghsNick
Aug 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah I contacted them and they're returning the order.
I'm a little bummed this wouldn't close with it in there...but I wasn't going to try and slam it down to make it.

robby818
Aug 6, 2011, 01:14 PM
I ordered the same product, and yes mine does not close all the way but I was just going to live with it.

BTW, I also have the one for the 13" air and it closes better. I think the 11" has tighter tolerances so anything thicker than a sheet of paper is probably going to cause a slight gap. The shaggymac is already very thin, not sure if it can be made any thinner.

thatdrewguy
Aug 6, 2011, 01:59 PM
I ordered the same product, and yes mine does not close all the way but I was just going to live with it.

If it is too thick I would be concerned about it always pressing down on the keys. Solve the problem of screen scratches, create a problem with the keyboard. I don't know if I'd risk it.

shstiger2009
Aug 6, 2011, 02:01 PM
Was looking at this as well...did you try pulling it away from the back of the laptop at all? To where it's not so up against where the screen and keyboard meet?

robby818
Aug 6, 2011, 03:16 PM
Was looking at this as well...did you try pulling it away from the back of the laptop at all? To where it's not so up against where the screen and keyboard meet?

Yeah, it doesn't help too much as the shaggymac pretty much covers the entire surface so it only adjusts a few cms in any direction. I have to take a look at my 2010 11" MBA, bec I used a shaggymac on that too and it seemed to close a little better although not perfect. I read somewhere that the keys on the keyboard have a slightly different design than the 2010 model, so maybe they sit a little higher than before.

alau0115
Aug 6, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have a similar issue but got resolved.

I have Radtech ScreenSavrz which is similar in function and form factor to the Shaggy with my 11" MBA. With just the ScreenSavrZ, the 11" MBA closes normally. However, with the ScreenSavrZ + keyboard protector (mine is Moshi Clearguard 11 but the result should varies little for other keyboard protector), it doesn't close properly. However, since I use Radtech SleevZ and once the MBA gets inside and when it is taken out again, the lid closes during the process.

As a recall, the 2010 11" MBA didn't seem to have the same problem or my memory could be wrong.

So basically my ScreenSarvrz is crushed during the storage of the MBA and so it is not an issue. I was concerned about wearing the hinges but the chance is slim as if you close the 11" MBA with nothing inside (i.e., screen protector and/or keyboard protector), there is already a slight gap which I think is designed to avoid the keyboard from accidentally in contact with the inside of the screen.

To be clear, I can close the lid of the 2011 11" MBA normally with just the keyboard Protector (mine is Moshi ClearGuard 11) or with just the Radtech ScreenSavrz. But with both, I have to leave them inside a higher sleeve and after a while, the lid closes properly.

I now see the Shaggy one has a thickness of 0.6mm for the Air whereas the Radtech ScreenSavrz has a thickness of 0.5mm for the Air (and their Pro version is 0.6mm though). So unless 0.1mm makes a difference and then the Shaggy won't work..