Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megabunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
SSD1

SSD2

Number 2 is my preference... but will it work?

I'm recording with a band and need more MB/s inbound than my 160GB Fuji HDD can give.

also do you think Apple will service my cracked case free of charge. (will they need my receipt if they will do it)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Both will work. However, are you sure you need an SSD? 120GB isn't much and it's fairly expensive. 750GB 7200rpm HD should be fine

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
Remember that SSD gains are noticed during *reading* the data. They aren't much better in regards to write speeds relative to fast non-ssd drives. If you're doing music recording you'll not be gaining much speed benefit (if any) and you'll be losing a ton of storage (which is arguably more important when recording audio than speed if the drive is already sufficiently fast enough).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Remember that SSD gains are noticed during *reading* the data. They aren't much better in regards to write speeds relative to fast non-ssd drives. If you're doing music recording you'll not be gaining much speed benefit (if any) and you'll be losing a ton of storage (which is arguably more important when recording audio than speed if the drive is already sufficiently fast enough).

A good SSD can easily be over twice as fast as the fastest HDs, even in write speeds.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
SSD1

SSD2

Number 2 is my preference... but will it work?

I'm recording with a band and need more MB/s inbound than my 160GB Fuji HDD can give.

also do you think Apple will service my cracked case free of charge. (will they need my receipt if they will do it)

Both SSD will be fine and better than your current drive, regarding your second question, that depends as this is the info about it from AppleInsider:

Apple added, however, that other portions of the case could be affected by the cracking issue. For all instances, providers were reportedly asked to inspect the MacBook carefully to determine whether the cracks could be the result of the notebook haven been dropped or other accidental damage caused by the owner.

In the event that providers are unable to identify signs that the user is at fault for the cracks, they're advise to escalate the notebook for coverage by Apple, regardless of whether its 1-year limited warranty has expired.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/08/apple_addressing_cracks_on_white_macbooks_casings.html

So I would just go and get it checked out in an Apple Service Center

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.