Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rburns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
I'm trying to choose between a new stock-configured Dual GHz from Apple and a 3-month-old QS 2002, which includes a 3-yr. AppleCare plan (minus 3 mos.), a gig of ram, a SuperDrive, and an external 40-gig Maxtor FW drive--each one for the approximate same price ($2350). In other words, at the educator's price, I can get the new one at about the same price as the used one w/extras. On the other hand, the used one's AppleCare will not cover the 17" Apple LCD Display I'll be buying later w/out a rebate; whereas, Apple's currently offering a $200 rebate when customers buy the cpu and display together.

Because benchtests reveal little difference in performance between these two models, and some posters have even complained about noise problems and little gain in overall speed in the current line, I'm wondering which will offer the best bang for the buck. I'll eventually be using FCP3 burning DVDs on whatever I get, but I'm unsure of the difference between them. I've seen that everymac.com lists the street value of the QS Feb 2002 dual GHz as worth a few hundred more than the current stock-configured dual GHz, and that these were going fast in August when smalldog and others had a few still in stock. Moreover, the used one also offers the extra warranty.

As an educator, am I better off w/one of the new ones and buying an Apple monitor at the same time, or going w/the "older" model and buying a monitor later w/out the AppleCare plan or rebate?

I could really use some input, especially since there's few reviews available on the new models, and I'm unsure how big of a difference there is between the 167MHz bus speed and the older 133, or the type of RAM each uses. The extra expansion bays are not really necessary in my work, either.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rick

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Dude, u didn't need to post the same thing in 2 forums. :rolleyes:
Can we get a Mod to lock one these, otherwise it'll end up with answers split between the 2 identical posts?

rburns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
apologies for the double post

I do apologize for posting this message twice, the same one on two different forums. Is there a way I can delete one of these, or can only the moderator do that?

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.