PDA

View Full Version : connecting macbook via miniDVI - is there audio?

suzw
Aug 6, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hi, I have seen lots of posts on various leads to do this but when I contacted neet cables they said I would need a seperate lead for audio to be played. could some one tell me a simple why to connect my macbook for video and audio via miniDVI to a TV? I have a scart lead available, some component leads and a spare hdmi socket on the TV.
I have loads of leads already, one is a USB/iphone/compenent lead but although I can get the iphone to play through the TV via this the computer dosen't, I take it USB will not play video and audio through the TV?
thanks, this is driving me mad, it used to be set up but I have no idea how!

ViPhone
Aug 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
I've encountered a similar situation. I believe that a separate component for audio for is required. We used a completely separate cable as I recall.

Intell
Aug 6, 2011, 12:56 PM
mini-DVI cannot output audio. You'll have to use the headphone/optical out or find a USB solution.

logana
Aug 6, 2011, 01:45 PM
The usual solution is a 3.5mm jack (from the MacBook) to 2 phono jacks (cinch) cable - assuming that your TV has an audio input - some do some don't.....

suzw
Aug 7, 2011, 03:28 AM
That's helpful, just because I am a ludite, do you mean a phono AUX cable to the headphone socket on the computer which has two jacks on the end for audio in on my TV? It does have a couple of sockets for audio in.
What do I then need for the video part of it?
sorry, I'm really not great at this, I was pleased to get the iphone working!

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 7, 2011, 07:13 AM
That's helpful, just because I am a ludite, do you mean a phono AUX cable to the headphone socket on the computer which has two jacks on the end for audio in on my TV? It does have a couple of sockets for audio in.
What do I then need for the video part of it?

Your question was whether or not miniDVI includes audio or not, so we assumed you were trying to get both audio and video to your TV. But it's sounding like you just want to play your music or something like that, is that correct?

You don't need video to send the audio. You can use a 3.5mm to phono/RCA cable as others have suggested. You can also get an adaptor that will allow you to get optical audio out of your headphone port as well, if you want the quality and have the ports.