PDA

View Full Version : If I wasn't sure about the 11" before, I sure am now..

lionheartednyhc
Aug 6, 2011, 02:07 PM
I've been debating whether the portability of the 11" was worth the screen size or not. Well, I just realized how incredibly portable it is. I was about to leave for to get some work done and went to get my macbook air. Then I realized I had no idea where it was, since it wasn't on my desk.

So I checked my backpack, the only place it could have been. And sure enough, it was in there. The catch? I just did a ~25mi bike ride last night, with the backpack on. Completely unaware I was carrying a computer the entire time :eek:

She's a keeper!

Blaine
Aug 6, 2011, 02:13 PM
Aww that's sweet :o

Bulldog3777
Aug 6, 2011, 03:08 PM
I got it for use while flying. It fits perfectly under the seat in front upright and gives me room for my feet. With my 13 in MBP I had to lay the bag on its side and that takes up my foot room. It also sits nicely on the drop down tray and when the person in front reclines his/her seat, there still is plenty of room to slant the screen back. Plus my bag is a lot lighter now.

xraydoc
Aug 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
For me it's the virtually undetectable weight and small form factor. The 13" is nice, definitely, but a 13" screen still takes up 13" of space.

Add to that the machine is as fast as last year's 17" MBP (at least the 1.8GHz i7 is) and I've got one powerful yet tiny machine!

meistervu
Aug 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
It's a really amazing feat of engineering.

I bought one even though I wasn't sure if the x768 resolution would work for me. I really wanted it to work for me because of how tiny and neat it is. But after a day of use I kept wishing for more vertical resolution, so the 11" went back to the store in exchange for the 13".

But it it works for you, it's a tiny thing to carry. You could almost fit it in your back pocket :)

jclardy
Aug 6, 2011, 08:06 PM
I am loving my 11" Air. If there was one thing I would do it would be making the bezel about half the width and making the screen 12".

I had a netbook a few years ago, but it was slow, had a small screen (9"), terrible resolution (1024x600), terrible battery life (Max 3 hours when doing nothing), and it didn't run OS X.

The MBA is just the opposite, while still maintaining the portability.

If the external Thunderbolt display adapter comes to fruition I could easily use this as my only machine (With external display of course).

katysax
Aug 6, 2011, 08:11 PM
My intention was to get the 13", but impatience led me to get the 11" instead. I had gone to the store and tried both, thinking that the 13" would be more useful. Having had a couple of netbooks I was feeling done with the very small form factor.

Surprise. I love the size of the 11". It's in a totally different league from a netbook. Text is much larger. The screen is easy to use. Today, I spent some time at the Apple store trying out a 13" and, after a week of using the 11" every day, the 13" felt huge and bulky.

xraydoc
Aug 7, 2011, 01:06 AM
It's a really amazing feat of engineering.

I bought one even though I wasn't sure if the x768 resolution would work for me. I really wanted it to work for me because of how tiny and neat it is. But after a day of use I kept wishing for more vertical resolution, so the 11" went back to the store in exchange for the 13".

But it it works for you, it's a tiny thing to carry. You could almost fit it in your back pocket :)

That was my concern as well. The only computing device (not including the iPhone) that I've used in the last 4 years that had only 768 vertical pixels has been my iPad. And I usually use the iPad in portrait!

So I was worried about vertical height as well. I've discovered that while the shorter screen res is not ideal, the MBA in my case isn't a primary computing device, so I felt the loss of height was an acceptable trade for the computer's remarkably small footprint.

Lion's fullscreen apps have helped quite a bit, too. Taking out the dock and menu bar adds a fair amount of space. I prefer the dock at the bottom, so I reclaim a lot of space by full-screening Safari, Mail (Sparrow in my case) and iCal.

If the laptop played a more important/daily roll in my needs, then I would have considered 13" instead.

Xgm541
Aug 7, 2011, 01:19 AM
i saw the 13 inch in the apple store the other day

seems so much bigger than my 11 inch. I couldnt get the 13 inch...

plumosa
Aug 7, 2011, 02:02 AM
I've only had my mba for a couple of days and its been strange adjusting from a 12" powerbook g4...I was completely expecting the MBA to be smaller, but strangely, its larger! well at least length wise, as it happens to be at least half the weight and height! :D

Hey Jude
Aug 7, 2011, 06:12 AM
I currently own a 2010 13" and a current model 11", and *I* believe that the weight difference is significant when I held both computers in my hands.

The MBA is not my primary computer, and I have an ACD, if needed, so I am extremely happy with the Air as a secondary computer. It is perfect for coffee shops, library, work, sitting on the couch surfing while watching TV (which is what I am currently doing:)), etc.

urkel
Aug 7, 2011, 12:25 PM
Im really torn on this because I used to feel the 11" was too small but after buying an open box 2010 11" and putting Lion on I've changed my tune. Lion does a lot to improve the 11" screen usage and now I feel that my 13" 2011 is actually too big since it reduces the height but still maintains a large footprint.

Im heavily considering trading the 13" for an 11" 2011 (and returning the 2010 11") but the biggest obstacle is that I bought with Best Buy gift cards and they dont sell the 256GB 11".

Mojo1
Aug 7, 2011, 12:30 PM
I hate the Apple Dock. It takes up to much space and it is a one-trick pony.

DragThing (terrible name; great software) makes it possible to create multiple custom docks (among other features) that are accessible via labeled/icon tabs, a slim bar or are completely invisible until you mouse below the edge of the screen. DragThing is wonderful when working on small displays.

You can enable a "process dock" that includes all currently running programs, with the option of excluding programs you don't want in the dock. There is also a "disk dock" that you can populate with external disks/partitions, etc.. And there is a "window dock" that provides instant access to windows that have been minimized.

A custom dock that I created has a row of tabs on the bottom of my display to access Applications, Documents, Media, Photo Apps, Writing Apps, etc.. Dragging an item into a dock creates an alias to the original. Docks can have multiple tabs and layers, so a dock can hold an amazing number of items.

And DragThing docks can reside anywhere on the Desktop.

My Apple Dock resides on the right side of my display, minimized and out of sight. I only access it when I need to get into the trash or a dock icon is moving for some reason. (DragThing has an option for displaying the trash can on the desktop.)

DragThing can be demoed for free before purchasing. A single user license is $29 and it can be installed on multiple Macs. http://www.dragthing.com/

kilonet
Aug 7, 2011, 01:04 PM
Its insanely great computer. I have never used a better one.

gman901
Aug 7, 2011, 01:13 PM
I love the fact I can store my Air in it's messenger bag under my seat in my 125 Zuma! I tried doing this with my M11x before selling it and it would not fit because it was 1" too deep. Another reason why the Air is a perfect portable notebook!

palpatine
Aug 7, 2011, 01:17 PM
i think the 11 inch is the perfect computer, and if i decided to get an air, i'd be trading in my mbp for it. i spent years on a netbook. 11 is a great size. perhaps i will do that before the mbp line gets redesigned in order to fetch a higher price for my mbp. there are several things i like better about the mbp, but the form factor of the 11 is very persuasive :)

as for this hating on the apple dock, is it justified? the apple dock can be hidden. it can also be moved to the sides or top of the screen. i am sure dragthing has more features, and i am not kocking the app, but is the apple dock getting a fair shake here? i kind of like it :)

Esquire1
Aug 7, 2011, 01:30 PM
as for this hating on the apple dock, is it justified? the apple dock can be hidden. it can also be moved to the sides or top of the screen. i am sure dragthing has more features, and i am not kocking the app, but is the apple dock getting a fair shake here? i kind of like it :)
The dock in Windows 7 is better. Pre-Windows 7, OSX has the better dock. Hopefully Apple improves or reimagines the dock for the next OS release.

palpatine
Aug 7, 2011, 01:34 PM
The dock in Windows 7 is better. Pre-Windows 7, OSX has the better dock. Hopefully Apple improves or reimagines the dock for the next OS release.

nope. i don't like the dock on windows 7 much. we are talking about the start bar at the bottom, right? it beats xp and vista, but i much prefer apple's. i am using snow leopard, though. maybe lion has ruined it.

jackyyeow
Aug 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
If it's not for the battery life, I would have gone for the 11". For what I do with my laptop, sometimes I use the battery quite substantially on the go. I also love having a bigger screen for watching movie though not a deal breaker.

If the 11" will ever match the 13" battery life in the future with batter technology, I'll definitely go for the 11". Such a cute laptop to use!:)

jackyyeow
Aug 7, 2011, 01:44 PM
nope. i don't like the dock on windows 7 much. we are talking about the start bar at the bottom, right? it beats xp and vista, but i much prefer apple's. i am using snow leopard, though. maybe lion has ruined it.
Coming from PC, I must say I don't find anything I miss from W7. I use exposť more than I do on the dock, and I don't see how W7 can match that.

palpatine
Aug 7, 2011, 01:45 PM
If it's not for the battery life, I would have gone for the 11". For what I do with my laptop, sometimes I use the battery quite substantially on the go. I also love having a bigger screen for watching movie though not a deal breaker.

If the 11" will ever match the 13" battery life in the future with batter technology, I'll definitely go for the 11". Such a cute laptop to use!:)

battery life is a real bummer, but given its power, probably inevitable. my netbook got 10+ ours the first year i had it, and some are rated for 14. fortunately, i can do most of my work on the ipad (with bt keyboard), so i get seven or more hours. of course, i also have no real justification for getting the 11. i have to come up with a reason somehow!

Esquire1
Aug 7, 2011, 01:45 PM
Why do you prefer OSX's dock? Win7's is essentially the same thing, only it allows for preview windows.

palpatine
Aug 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
Why do you prefer OSX's dock? Win7's is essentially the same thing, only it allows for preview windows.

i find it to be graphically pleasing. the jumping icons, the expandable finder folder, and the little lights under programs telling me when they are on are nice.

there is nothing wrong with w7's start bar. it is a fine improvement over earlier ones. but, it doesn't seem as aesthetically pleasing to me as the osx dock.

Esquire1
Aug 7, 2011, 02:00 PM
i find it to be graphically pleasing. the jumping icons, the expandable finder folder, and the little lights under programs telling me when they are on are nice.

there is nothing wrong with w7's start bar. it is a fine improvement over earlier ones. but, it doesn't seem as aesthetically pleasing to me as the osx dock.
I agree. Aesthetically, OSX is better. But window previews are very nice. There is an OSX program out there that allows for window previews in the dock. It's always one of my first installs :)

xraydoc
Aug 7, 2011, 02:16 PM

HyerDock adds pop-up preview windows to the OS X dock. You'll love it.

http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/

entatlrg
Aug 7, 2011, 02:16 PM
I agree. Aesthetically, OSX is better. But window previews are very nice. There is an OSX program out there that allows for window previews in the dock. It's always one of my first installs :)

Could you share the name of the software?

xraydoc
Aug 7, 2011, 02:19 PM

(added for page 2)

Esquire1
Aug 7, 2011, 02:19 PM
HyerDock adds pop-up preview windows to the OS X dock. You'll love it.

I always install Hyperdock. It's great. I wish Apple would include it natively. And I beat you to mentioning it by 15 minutes in the post above you, though you saved me with the program's name :)

It's Hyperdock.

palpatine
Aug 7, 2011, 02:22 PM
a 10 dollar app to preview stuff on my dock? nah. i'll pass :)

but, good to know there are so many apps out there.

Jaro65
Aug 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
a 10 dollar app to preview stuff on my dock? nah. i'll pass :)

but, good to know there are so many apps out there.

The price is a bit silly. It is a handy thing to have though.