PDA

View Full Version : portable thunderbolt hard drive

radiohead14
Aug 6, 2011, 04:28 PM
are any out yet? i saw this article about LaCie's Little Big Drive, which is dated back in Feb.. so i was hoping it'd be out by now:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/02/lacies-little-big-drive-shows-thunderbolt-is-great-for-storage/

i also don't have any experience with LaCie. i've always been a Seagate fan for years now, as their drives have never failed on me. anyone know what Seagate has planned?

squaremon
Aug 6, 2011, 04:32 PM
LaCie is awesome! Been using rugged For years with no problem. I love all neil poultons design, matches apple product. His awesome!:D

NutsNGum
Aug 6, 2011, 05:21 PM
I believe Seagate put out a press release around the release of the MacBook Pro saying that they were working on getting go-flex thunderbolt stuff ready for autumn-winter time.

The only thing I care about is a thunderbolt enclosure or Sata-thunderbolt go flex dock, I've got a x25m sitting here doing nothing and I want to use it with my iMac without cracking it open.

Check OWC as well though, as they were apparently looking to get some stuff in for around August time. Quite what they were supposedly getting though is anyone's guess.

DarwinOSX
Aug 7, 2011, 12:31 AM
La Cie makes pretty case but uses cheap power supplies. I have had way too mangy fail on me over the years.

RobQuads
Aug 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
i just wish someone would release a thunderbolt enclosure for a 2.5" drive then we could all put what ever we want in it (from SSDs to 1TB drives)

kilonet
Aug 7, 2011, 02:34 PM
Had two(!) Lacies broken before.

maril1111
Aug 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
Been using Lacie for over 3 years now and both drives are still going strong. So no problems and I would recommend Lacie as a brand in general

VMMan
Aug 7, 2011, 03:39 PM
I had two LaCie 2TB Big Disk Extreme external FireWire drives which both had their power supplies fail causing erratic behavior.

If you check the reviews on Amazon, LaCie gets a lot of 1 star ratings because of their failing power supplies.

Duke15
Aug 7, 2011, 04:38 PM
Ya I'm thinking of getting the Seagate one because it has the different connectors that can be used and apparently they're coming out with a thunderbolt one like the first response said, but I've read that they have some failure problems as well....anyone have experience with seagate, my current western digital is good

reclusive46
Aug 7, 2011, 04:46 PM
Ya I'm thinking of getting the Seagate one because it has the different connectors that can be used and apparently they're coming out with a thunderbolt one like the first response said, but I've read that they have some failure problems as well....anyone have experience with seagate, my current western digital is good

I've had a seagate 1tb external drive in constant use for 4 1/2 years. I had a WD 1tb external for 2 years and it died with mediocre use but all my iMacs had WD and they were fine. So make doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

clyde2801
Aug 7, 2011, 04:50 PM
Waiting for the chinese to reverse engineer TB and start putting moderately priced accessories on ebay....