Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazcross

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Wales
iPhoto (and now PhotoBooth) Package files are a massive headache :mad: to anyone who wanted to include them on the sync schedule when using portable home directories.

I was wondering whether anyone has tried experimenting with iPhoto '11 libraries in a Lion Server/Client environment where the client uses a mobile home directory?

I don't have the resources at this time to be able to test such a set up as I'm already running a SL Server system without any system redundancy.

Anyone had any joy with it - I know it was one of the serious headaches with SL Server and seeing as Apple are trying to make Lion Server more home based then it's common sense to assume they would fix this problem! :confused:

Any help would be appreciated! ;)

gazcross

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Wales
Initial findings - it's still broke!

I've spent hours setting up a test server & client configuration since my last post.

I can confirm so far that iPhoto library sync using home sync and Mobile Home/Portable Home Directories is still broken!

So much for a more 'Home' orientated server release! :eek:

gazcross

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Wales
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi there,

It would almost certainly work for iphoto if I knew what the hidden extension of an iPhoto library was, after much trying I can't find it!

Apeture is an easy win after reading that link. I haven't yet had a look if the new photobooth package file has an extension either.

zmikegyver

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Try Synk or Chronosync instead

All,

Been struggling (then finally got PHD working to an extent), but wondered if there is any real benefit from built in sync vs. 3rd party utils out there.

After my struggles and reading this post, I've decided to stay with synk:
http://decimus.net/Synk

Not only will it handle packaged files better, it does live syncing, and not on a schedule.

Chronosync is good too, but I switched away from it because it must run on a schedule.

Best,
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.