PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine on SSD?

ghsNick
Aug 6, 2011, 06:00 PM
I have an iMac and MBA and 1 external hard drive and use Time Machine on both machines. I always have my external hard drive hooked up to my iMac and use Time Machine on it...and plug the external hard drive into the Air whenever I want to back it up...they're partitioned so now worries...but I noticed that my Air is Time Machine backing up on my SSD.

I want the 8GB of backup on my Air erased...I still have everything on my external hard drive so I don't need it on my SSD.

How do I erase these 8GB of backups? And how do I stop Time Machine from backing up to my SSD?

jclardy
Aug 6, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure what it lists as "Backups" but could it be an iPhone or iPad backup?

I don't think time machine can save a backup of a partition onto that same partition as the disk would be changing as it is creating the backup itself.

old-wiz
Aug 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
IIRC, If you have Lion, it's a new feature where it saves stuff on the boot disk pending write to the real Time Machine drive.

THeRealFluter
Aug 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
Time Machine will keep up to 2 weeks of local backups, when the backup drive is not regularly connected. You can't change this, that I know of. The only solution I am aware of is to just keep TM turned off regularly and turn it on whenever you plug the backup drive in. It will pick up any changes, from the last backup, and resume from there.

benthewraith
Aug 6, 2011, 06:22 PM
Time Machine will keep up to 2 weeks of local backups, when the backup drive is not regularly connected. You can't change this, that I know of. The only solution I am aware of is to just keep TM turned off regularly and turn it on whenever you plug the backup drive in. It will pick up any changes, from the last backup, and resume from there.

You can disable these local backups via:
sudo tmutil disablelocal

ghsNick
Aug 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
IIRC, If you have Lion, it's a new feature where it saves stuff on the boot disk pending write to the real Time Machine drive.

Ok yeah because I had around 45GB of free space and haven't added anything and it went down about 8GB's...I haven't backed it up to my external hard drive in 2 weeks though...so hopefully after the backup this goes away...I don't want to waste anymore space than I have to.

jclardy
Aug 6, 2011, 06:31 PM

Hmm that's interesting, I didn't know about that. I guess it makes the actual backup much faster as it doesn't have to calculate all the changes at once.

But on the Air it will be taking up precious space...and it has an SSD, so reading from the disk and calculating changes should be faster anyways.

ghsNick
Aug 6, 2011, 09:15 PM
I just backed up to my external hard drive and the 8GN of backups are still there.

Is there any way to locate these back ups and erase them?

This isn't something that's NEEDED to make this Air run correct?
Because if not I want to delete it.

Edit - It just went away! I have 8 more GB's lol