PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky space bar on MBA13?

rayjay86
Aug 6, 2011, 08:03 PM
Anyone else noticed this? It's not noticeable when I'm in public or an office or something but when I'm at home and I don't have music on (very quiet) I hear a squeaking sound when I press the space bar.

It only happens when I press the right right of the space bar. My mac is barely one week old. Its not a functional issue but now that I've noticed it, it's really starting to annoy me. You think they could fix it at the store?

73CortinaV8
Aug 6, 2011, 08:51 PM
WD-40 will fix it.

Seriously, take it in. It's bothering you enough that you posted about it here -- it will always bother you.

Personally, it would bother me, too.

lyrrad721
Aug 6, 2011, 09:26 PM
My 2011 13'' MBA doesn't squeak but it makes a sound as if a thin plastic paper was under it :S If I tap it very gently with two fingers or move my finger around it when pressed I can hear this sound too. The spacebar seems to be a little bit unresponsive when lightly pressed at the top right corner. I went to best buy and checked a 2010 MBA (they didn't have the 2011s on the floor) and it had the same annoying sound, but less noticeable. Could it be that it wasn't installed properly?

soman87
Sep 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
So you guys have found solutions? I had the same problems as described, squeaky spacebar (and a plastic paper kind of sound) on a brand new Air 2011. Brought my machine to the shop and explained the problems, but of cause the service guy didn't hear it (you simply don't hear it when you're out). OK, back at home I made up my mind and took off the spacebar (do research first).
What I found out was that the noise came from the spacebar itself, not the mechanism underneath. I bent the bar just a little and heard it squeak. Put a bit of WD-40 on the plastic notches that hold the metal brackets until the noise disappeared. I put the spacebar back in place, and now no squeaking at all.

You need to be determined but be gentle. Go for it, and it's worth it (if you don't want to bother Apple and replace the whole machine). By the way, there was no plastic paper underneath. Good luck!