Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
Hi,

I have a MB mid-2010 version 7,1 with its original base level, factory components still installed. 2 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA ect.

I'm going to bump it up to 8GB of RAM and install the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 500GB as my main drive. Should I consider installing a second drive in the OptiBay? How do I do that? Will it increase performance significantly if done right?

Let me know your thoughts.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It won't increase performance unless it's a SSD. I wouldn't bother unless you plan on a SSD, which would make the momentus XT pointless, or if you need more than 500GB of storage.

Mutinygraphiks

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
in my opinion having an ssd with your OS and program files, and a hybrid as a storage for music, photos, etc. would be ideal for anyone quick loads for the programs, and safe setup for saving other files.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Hi,

I have a MB mid-2010 version 7,1 with its original base level, factory components still installed. 2 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA ect.

I'm going to bump it up to 8GB of RAM and install the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 500GB as my main drive. Should I consider installing a second drive in the OptiBay? How do I do that? Will it increase performance significantly if done right?

For "how" watch this video.

kidstretch

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Hi,

I have a Macbook late 2008, i was thinking of getting the same hybrid hdd, i'd like to install the OS in the SDD and the files on the HDD.
Just was wondering though, i think the SDD is 4 GB, is this enough for the OS?
Would love some feedback if you buy it, is it faster, does it get hotter etc?

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
I have a Macbook late 2008, i was thinking of getting the same hybrid hdd, i'd like to install the OS in the SDD and the files on the HDD.
Just was wondering though, i think the SDD is 4 GB, is this enough for the OS?
Would love some feedback if you buy it, is it faster, does it get hotter etc?

I'll let you know if I decide to do it.

Mutinygraphiks

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
a 4gb ssd hard drive is not gonna be enough for any OS, you need to get like a 16gb at least, but if you run programs like photoshop, or anything hefty id suggest looking for a 32 or a 64gb just to handle all your program needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.