Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I have always re-installed all versions of OS X as soon as I got it or a new MAc. By removing all languages except English and printers except the one I use, I usually save at least 2 gig.

What are you experiences with re-installing Lion on your new MBA?
Also do you just do the Command-R during start up and down load it?

Thanks

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
From my experience on 2 custom installs, on 2 different machines, there is no way to do anything "custom" with lion. I'd love to be wrong.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
interested in this too. i heard you lose iLife though, but hopefully that's an easy re-install

Just make sure you visit the Mac App Store initially getting your Air, and sign in. This will then allocate you iLife apps to your account so you can download later.

Others that fail to do this, may have to buy them after the event.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Just make sure you visit the Mac App Store initially getting your Air, and sign in. This will then allocate you iLife apps to your account so you can download later.

Others that fail to do this, may have to buy them after the event.

thanks for the heads up!

From my experience on 2 custom installs, on 2 different machines, there is no way to do anything "custom" with lion. I'd love to be wrong.

so you can't even save some space by only installing English and not the other languages? can you leave anything out at all?

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
so you can't even save some space by only installing English and not the other languages? can you leave anything out at all?

There are no options for any customization at all during a fresh install. Not even unused languages.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
you can customize what iLife applications you install by redownloading only the ones you want.

that saved me about 1-2gb

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

monolingual cut off 1.7 gigabytes by removing languages and legacy code. Now I already had other software installed such as office 2011 so some of that would be removed from that software also but regardless the savings was substantial. I also removed garageband which saves a huge amount of space also since I will never use it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.