PDA

View Full Version : Linux User in Mac World

dakkar
Aug 7, 2011, 07:55 AM
dear all,

I wrote in this forum some weeks ago. I am a linux user that is tring a mac experience with a mac book air.

finally I bought the machine and I am having nice time with it, however I would like to have some help about some issue I could not manage up to now.

I hope you can help me I write it down in following. franckly the most important part is about the shell and mouse, I hope you can help.

1) I would like turn off hypertreading and I and I am experiencing some difficulties to turn it off definitivelly. any suggestion?

2) the command in shell are a bit different between linux and mac, but that is fine. however therer are some behaviors I would like to change.
2a) home button does not work like in *nix. so it does not go to the beginning of the line, but at the beginning of the shell session. any solution? any different combination of button or a way to make home button works??
2b) deleting a sting in command line with "<-" is somehow slow. I mean it is not a system limitation, it is rather that the shell is setted to delete slowly the comma when I press "<-". where to change that?
3) Finally and this is the most anoying part of everithing... the third button! I explain better. in linuz everithing is selected by the coursor iss automatically pasted when you press the third button. plz, I beg you, tell me this is possible to configure in some way!!!

I hope you can help me!

all the best to you

KPOM
Aug 7, 2011, 08:21 AM
This question is probably better suited for the Mac Programming forum.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

KnightWRX
Aug 7, 2011, 08:30 AM
1) I would like turn off hypertreading and I and I am experiencing some difficulties to turn it off definitivelly. any suggestion?

Why ? Leave hyperthreading on.

2a) home button does not work like in *nix. so it does not go to the beginning of the line, but at the beginning of the shell session. any solution? any different combination of button or a way to make home button works??

It's time you learned the proper way of working. CTRL-A goes to the beginning of the line, CTRL-E to the end. CTRL-W erases a word ( a space separated entity). This is the way of all bourne shells. It's also how Apple makes most of their applications.

3) Finally and this is the most anoying part of everithing... the third button! I explain better. in linuz everithing is selected by the coursor iss automatically pasted when you press the third button. plz, I beg you, tell me this is possible to configure in some way!!!

That's a function of X11, not Linux. Use X11 applications and it'll work that way. Quartz does not support 3rd button paste of the selection buffer.

This question is probably better suited for the Mac Programming forum.

What was his programming question exactly ? Because I sure as heck didn't see any in his post.

If anything, you should have pointed him to Mac OS X help.

KPOM
Aug 7, 2011, 08:32 AM
What was his programming question exactly ? Because I sure as heck didn't see any in his post.

If anything, you should have pointed him to Mac OS X help.

Turning off hyper threading. If there is a way to do so, then it's probably a programming thing.

KnightWRX
Aug 7, 2011, 08:35 AM
Turning off hyper threading. If there is a way to do so, then it's probably a programming thing.

No, it's not. Programming is about the OS X APIs and developer tools. Turning off "hyperthreading" is just a configuration option that might or might not exist.

dakkar
Aug 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
ok tnx very much.

1) I want to turn hypertreading off because I have some appication that do no fork, so I need to have the best processor I can on that process. here it comes the point to remove hyper treading.

2a) perfect

3) so it is not possible... ok

last question let say 4) :) always in gnome it is possible to ask a page to be always on top off all, as well as always on visible workspace. any way to make this in mac? any apps?

KPOM
Aug 7, 2011, 10:16 AM
ok tnx very much.

1) I want to turn hypertreading off because I have some appication that do no fork, so I need to have the best processor I can on that process. here it comes the point to remove hyper treading.

2a) perfect

3) so it is not possible... ok

last question let say 4) :) always in gnome it is possible to ask a page to be always on top off all, as well as always on visible workspace. any way to make this in mac? any apps?

If you don't have a multithreaded process, then it won't hyper thread automatically, right? It will instead turbo boost to its single core speed.

KnightWRX
Aug 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
ok tnx very much.

The OS scheduler and APCI sub-systems are much better at handling these things than you are. If you must really turn off Hyper-threading, Apple provides tools to do so as part of CHUD, but again, you'll just be harming the performance of your machine.

Mission control now offers this option to have an app be assigned to all workspaces. As far as I know, there is no "always on top" option for the Mac's window manager like there is for Linux. The Mac is much more limited on configurability than the Linux stuff is.

sporadicMotion
Aug 7, 2011, 11:36 AM
You can turn hyper threading off by installing Xcode. There is a control panel that is installed that gives you the option.

Shadoobie
Aug 7, 2011, 12:41 PM
Why ? Leave hyperthreading on.

From a developer's perspective, it is sometimes necessary to turn hyperthreading off to test for performance and X86 compatibility across architectures.

Of course, you know this already.

It's time you learned the proper way of working.

The gospel according to whom?

Quartz does not support 3rd button paste of the selection buffer.

That only scratches the surface of what Quartz doesn't support. Of course, it's for our own good.

He came here for some assistance. You gave him what he so obviously needed. :rolleyes:

The OS scheduler and APCI sub-systems are much better at handling these things than you are.

You are precisely why people love Apple products and hate Apple users.

If you must really turn off Hyper-threading, Apple provides tools to do so as part of CHUD, but again, you'll just be harming the performance of your machine.

And there's the answer he was looking for. Perhaps it isn't all about hardware performance. The ability to disable hyperthreading can be critical to the performance of an application. Most every hardware provider allows the user to disable hyperthreading much more easily than Apple.

wegster
Aug 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
[FONT="Calibri"]dear all,

I wrote in this forum some weeks ago. I am a linux user that is tring a mac experience with a mac book air.

finally I bought the machine and I am having nice time with it, however I would like to have some help about some issue I could not manage up to now.

I hope you can help me I write it down in following. franckly the most important part is about the shell and mouse, I hope you can help.

I didn't know this one was possible with OSX, also haven't seen any way to underclock - anyone?

2) the command in shell are a bit different between linux and mac, but that is fine. however therer are some behaviors I would like to change.
2b) deleting a sting in command line with "<-" is somehow slow. I mean it is not a system limitation, it is rather that the shell is setted to delete slowly the comma when I press "<-". where to change that?

This isn't shell commands being different, but I'd suggest using iTerm or iTerm2. That may handle some of your problem keystrokes for you (it does for home), although as stated, bourne and bash have their own core keystrokes using ctrl sequences - those are the norm, the Home and End keys I don't believe are 'standard' at all, more like a Windows convenience that may be mapped over. If iterm/iterm2 doesn't do enough for you, try looking for info on how to modify termcap, as that's the storage for all keystrokes.

In an iterm/iTerm 2, mmb is configurable and will default to paste. This is also configurable system-wide although possibly via a hack, AFAIK, although I've grown out of that one and usually revert to copy/paste keystrokes instead.

Do yourself a favor, and install macports - it will give you a pretty good mechanism for installing all of the GNU software you've become used to, via a bsd ports, gentoo portage like build mechanism, and has virtually everything you'd be able to select on a RH or ubuntu installation.

seepel
Aug 7, 2011, 01:52 PM

For some reason Mac Rumors turns Let Me Google That For You into '*'s? Bummer, I never get a chance to use that page. Anyway, home end mac terminal Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=home+end+mac+terminal)

However, I'm with KnightWRX on this one, although I don't use the emacs bindings and use the vim bindings instead, I think the editor bindings to go to the beginning and and end of the line are more convenient, I also suggest learning forward and backward by one word, and by one word separated by white space. Though getting the normal page up and page down are pretty useful in less.

bp1000
Aug 7, 2011, 04:56 PM
For the slow key movement in terminal

Open up system preferences > keyboard settings

Adjust the key repeat speed and delay between repeat

As a heavy vim users the default keyboard repeat speed was also too slow for me