PDA

View Full Version : Next gen Apple TV?

vp719
Aug 7, 2011, 09:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't been following the rumor mills as much as I'd like lately - have there been any whispers on a possible Apple TV refresh coming soon? I'm looking to add one to my new entertainment system but want to hold off if there's any chance a new release may pop up at the September-ish iPod/iPhone event. Thanks!

From A Buick 8
Aug 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
None this year just software updates. Then next year a more complete HTPC solution software suite to replace Frontrow aimed at the Mini crowd. Then a refresh of the ATV in 2012 that will work smoothly wit the new "Frontrow"

In my opionion.

jaw04005
Aug 7, 2011, 09:55 AM
I find it hard to believe that Apple won't ship a 1080p A5-compatible Apple TV this year.

They want their iOS devices to stay on the same basic hardware platform. I also expect a major software update in October (which is generally when new Apple TV updates are released).

They keep calling it a hobby, but it's sold some 3+ million units in less than 1 year making it a viable investment and the top-selling media streaming box. There's likely been more units of the Apple TV sold this year than some models of the iPod line.