PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about switching from a 2011 15" Hi-Res MBP to a 2011 13" MBA

PurpleMarmalade
Aug 7, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'm feeling guilty at the moment, and I need your help to assuage that guilt. I bought a new 15" MBP in March 2011 (2.2 i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Hi-Res AG screen), and it's been lovely...

...except it just feels too damned big.* I'm an organic and fidgety laptop user, so you're just as likely to find me curled up in bed or on the sofa as you are at a desk. When I'm at the desk, in the expensive chair, with the perfect background light balance, and the feng shui is just right, the MBP is wonderful to work on: tactile keyboard, beautiful screen, quiet, powerful. But on the bed, or sofa: a cumbersome brute, that digs into your stomach, chafes your wrists, and gets hot enough to make you wonder about long-term infertility. I owned a 2008 unibody MB before this, and that was much more agreeable in 'unstructured mode.'

So, whilst fanning my nether regions furiously after the latest MBP episode, I've just ordered the new MBA (13", 1.7 i5, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD). With this switch (some may call it a downgrade**), I have a few concerns:

1) The screen. On the MBP it's gorgeous, and anti-glare. I know the MBA is glossy, but not as glossy as the glossy+glass on the normal MBPs; does anyone has any experience of going from the anti-glare to the MBA-style glossy? I hate glare as a rule - will it upset me?

2) The power. I don't do any super-intensive stuff, but I might do some video editing occasionally, watch HD movies, etc. I also have lots of things open all the time. Will I notice the dip in processor power (2.2 i7 to 1.7 i5) and RAM (8GB to 4GB)?

3) Are those USB-to-ethernet adaptors any good? In my office at work, wifi is flaky, but I do have hi-speed ethernet piped in. I'm just about willing to lose a USB slot for this, as I can connect the MBA to my external monitor, which has extra USB slots.

4) Will anything else, that I haven't thought of, annoy me? Am I being an idiot? Why doesn't a penguin's feet freeze? And so on. Have at it.

* That's what she said.
** I'd have to rabbit-punch you in your special place if you did that.

thatisme
Aug 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
Well, I can say there is no major compromise I moving from a 15 to a 13 in terms of screen real-estate.... Yes there is a difference, but after a day, the 13 will feel natural, and just as useful as the 15.

One thing about the screen is that isn't really glossy... It doesn't have the glass panel, but it does have a non AG layer on the screen. What I notice is that when it is turned off, the screen looks glossy. But when it is on, you will hardly notice glare.... It's not even close to being in the same glare realm as on the MBP glossy screens.

Nextitsolutions
Aug 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
I currently have a the 13" C2D MBA, it's so nice, perfect weight and the very small slope on the keyboard is much better than the fully flat MBP. I take it every where I go and it never fails, plus the instant start is a joy. The battery life is just fantastic, working all day on a single charge. Also having Lion on it makes the whole experience even smoother.

The USB - Ethernet is a good addition, attach network cable, plug into USB port and it's straight on.

You may feel a slight pinch in editing but nothing you would be concerned about.

Really its all good.

PurpleMarmalade
Aug 11, 2011, 10:22 AM
Update: I now have the 13" MBA. It's lovely. I don't notice any difference in speed during normal, everyday usage. The screen is nowhere near as glossy as the MBPs, and indeed doesn't seem glossy at all unless there is a light directly behind you. It is a joy to use on the couch or in bed. The MBP is going on ebay.

ipodlover77
Aug 11, 2011, 10:31 AM
Update: I now have the 13" MBA. It's lovely. I don't notice any difference in speed during normal, everyday usage. The screen is nowhere near as glossy as the MBPs, and indeed doesn't seem glossy at all unless there is a light directly behind you. It is a joy to use on the couch or in bed. The MBP is going on ebay.

its good to know that im not the only one whos going from a 2011 high res 2.2 to a macbook air. people were looking at me like i was crazy :p

only part that sucks is that no ones biting on my ad.:(