PDA

View Full Version : One touch switch between EyeTV and iTunes?

2002cbr600f4i
Aug 7, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hey gang,

Ok, here's my setup:

2011 Mac Mini 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM
Drobo with 4TB usable storage
EyeTV 3.5.3 with a Hauppauge HD PVR unit hooked to a Comcast box
USB Ir Blaster
Samsung 40" LED LCD TV.

Basically, I'm using eyeTV + the Hauppauge to watch Live TV and do recordings, then editing out the commercials and then converting and importing into iTunes.

iTunes works great in full screen mode, and used in conjunction with the iPad remote software is easy to navigate.

Likewise, the EyeTV iPad software is great for seeing what I have scheduled to record, what recordings I currently have, what the current TV schedule is, and for switching channels when watching live (I just stop the playback on the iPad as soon as it changes the channel, and watch it on the TV.)

What I need is a good way to switch between the two (EyeTV playback + iTunes). Does anyone have a good solution that wouldn't involve me having to reach for the keyboard/trackpad to swap between apps?

irishv
Aug 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hey gang,

Ok, here's my setup:

2011 Mac Mini 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM
Drobo with 4TB usable storage
EyeTV 3.5.3 with a Hauppauge HD PVR unit hooked to a Comcast box
USB Ir Blaster
Samsung 40" LED LCD TV.

Basically, I'm using eyeTV + the Hauppauge to watch Live TV and do recordings, then editing out the commercials and then converting and importing into iTunes.

iTunes works great in full screen mode, and used in conjunction with the iPad remote software is easy to navigate.

Likewise, the EyeTV iPad software is great for seeing what I have scheduled to record, what recordings I currently have, what the current TV schedule is, and for switching channels when watching live (I just stop the playback on the iPad as soon as it changes the channel, and watch it on the TV.)

What I need is a good way to switch between the two (EyeTV playback + iTunes). Does anyone have a good solution that wouldn't involve me having to reach for the keyboard/trackpad to swap between apps?

Remote Buddy is unfortunately the only workable solution I've found. It's a pain to set up, but once everything is configured, it works pretty well with a Harmony remote. I have buttons set to close whatever app is currently open and then launch Plex, Hulu, or EyeTV (I also used to have a button for Front Row before Apple axed it).