PDA

View Full Version : OWC SSD Upgrade and Lion?

NutsNGum
Aug 7, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'm considering an upgrade to one of the higher capacity Aura Pro Blade SSDs from OWC, but I've got a question:

Since their SSD will be missing the Lion recovery partition, how is it possible to install Lion onto it to begin with? Especially now as there is currently no hardware restore solution.

Has anyone tried it yet?

TC25
Aug 7, 2011, 02:38 PM
Why couldn't you use a product such as SuperDuper and an external drive?

misterneums
Aug 7, 2011, 02:40 PM
I'm considering an upgrade to one of the higher capacity Aura Pro Blade SSDs from OWC, but I've got a question:

Since their SSD will be missing the Lion recovery partition, how is it possible to install Lion onto it to begin with? Especially now as there is currently no hardware restore solution.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Something I haven't thought about... I was thinking about maybe someday picking one of those up.

Narien
Aug 7, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure this works, but isn't it possible to make a usb-stick installer?

McGiord
Aug 7, 2011, 02:43 PM
I have a Mercury SSD from OWC running Lion, and it also has the recovery partition. You can always back up to Time Machine or cloning as well as with Disk Utility.

NutsNGum
Aug 7, 2011, 02:45 PM
Why couldn't you use a product such as SuperDuper and an external drive?

Because I don't want to be constantly carrying around an external drive?

NutsNGum
Aug 7, 2011, 02:46 PM
I have a Mercury SSD from OWC running Lion, and it also has the recovery partition. You can always back up to Time Machine or cloning as well as with Disk Utility.

Are you referring to the Mercury Aura Pro Blade SSD, or the 2.5" variety?

McGiord
Aug 7, 2011, 02:54 PM
Are you referring to the Mercury Aura Pro Blade SSD, or the 2.5" variety?

The 2.5".

TC25
Aug 7, 2011, 02:56 PM
Because I don't want to be constantly carrying around an external drive?
What are you talking about?

1. Use SuperDuper and back up the current SSD to the external drive
2. Install the OWC SSD
3. Boot off the external drive.
4. Copy external drive to OWC SSD
5. Done

NutsNGum
Aug 7, 2011, 03:01 PM
What are you talking about?

1. Use SuperDuper and back up the current SSD to the external drive
2. Install the OWC SSD
3. Boot off the external drive.
4. Copy external drive to OWC SSD
5. Done

Fair enough, I was curious as to whether or not the recovery partition would transfer to another drive correctly. I assume it would?

TC25
Aug 7, 2011, 03:16 PM
Fair enough, I was curious as to whether or not the recovery partition would transfer to another drive correctly. I assume it would?
No, the current version of SuperDuper does not.

gman901
Aug 7, 2011, 04:29 PM
I just recently installed the Aura Express Pro, but installed a clean copy of Snow Leopard. It runs extremely well, if not better than my original SSD. It's not that easy to tell the difference, but everything seems snappier. Please let us know how Lion behaves with this drive because I am interested in upgrading but a little worried about getting a lot of beach balls and incompatibility.

Krevnik
Aug 8, 2011, 01:25 PM

On the 2011, you can still do an internet restore. It will take longer, but it works in the case of a nuked/empty drive. And it will install the restore partition onto the new drive.

NutsNGum
Aug 8, 2011, 03:46 PM
On the 2011, you can still do an internet restore. It will take longer, but it works in the case of a nuked/empty drive. And it will install the restore partition onto the new drive.

Thanks Krevnik, that's really helpful.

blulite
Aug 8, 2011, 06:58 PM
Here's a simple solution:

Attach a USB drive (a regular drive - 2.5" or 3.5" external hard drive)
Boot the MBA holding the 'Option' key
Select boot from Recovery
Run recovery, and during the process you can select to load Lion on the external drive (try it, cool, it works and leaves the internal drive intact
Now swap out your internal SSD drive
Boot while holding the 'Option' key
This time select Recovery option on the USB drive
Now select to load Lion on the new internal drive
It will load Lion and recovery partition on the new internal drive, fresh install, just like from the factory.
done…..

Or try this. (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433)