PDA

View Full Version : Owned 2011 13" MBA for 2 Weeks & Still Stuck Between 11 & 13-Inches

amitdoc2b
Aug 7, 2011, 06:38 PM
13 days ago, I was stuck between an 11" i5/128 and a 13" i5/128, and till this day I still am. I was sure I was going to get an 11" before they released the specs on July 20th, but I still ended up getting the 13".

I absolutely LOVE the 13" MBA...

Pros about the 13":
-Has the faster i5 processor of the two MBA screen size options
-Has a thinner bezel
-Has a bigger screen
-Has the resolution of a 15" MBP
-Has a 2 hour longer battery life
-Has the SD card slot
-Has louder speakers
-Mine is double Samsung!
-And its my primary computer

Pros about the 11":
-Has a smaller overall footprint
-Has lower overall weight
-Has the uniqueness of being the smallest full-fledged OSX experience
-Has a cheaper price tag by $100 (when considering i5 11 vs 13")
-Has just about a full sized keyboard
-And I keep daydreaming about the 11" (while still admiring the 13") despite a shorter list of pros that I could come up with.

I would like to add, the main reason I picked the 13" last minute when I was thinking 11" the whole time was that the battery was 2 hours longer and the resolution is equivalent to a 15". My biggest thing is to be able to work on two documents side-by-side. I'm sure I could adjust to either screen size otherwise. I'm also not traveling with it as much, I like the slimness more because of looks and moving it around the apartment. I will barely be using the battery ever, but its nice to have the extra hours on those rare occasions if I EVER needed it. Yet, despite everything I said I probably would have grabbed the 11" even if it had 1 of those 2 features I originally mentioned (higher resolution to a 15" or two more hours battery) even though I am adjustable to both.

Anyone care to add pros or cons? This is your one last shot to convince me to keep the 13" or exchange for the 11" before tomorrow night when my 14 days is up!

Either way I am confused but happy... :confused::D

awer25
Aug 7, 2011, 06:42 PM
It's just a matter of personal opinion, but the 11" screen is just too small for me (I'm not old and have 20/20 vision). A 13" screen is much more useable.

thatdrewguy
Aug 7, 2011, 06:47 PM
You actually went about this the wrong way.
I was stuck thinking that the 11 was too small every time I demo'd it at the apple store which was at least a 1/2 dozen times.

I bought the 11 on launch day to see if I could live with it. And I could so I kept the 11. If I had thought it was too small I would have exchanged it for the 13.

You'll never know if the 11 is right for you if you don't use one for some time.

steve dave
Aug 7, 2011, 06:57 PM
I went from the 2010 11-inch to the new 13 and am loving the difference. As weird as it sounds, one of the biggest things I like about the 13 more is the larger trackpad. It makes a HUGE difference with Lion.

DeusInvictus7
Aug 7, 2011, 06:58 PM
Something to keep in mind: You mentioned you wanted to have two Word documents side by side. The 11" and 13" are only 74 pixels apart for horizontal resolution, so of that really matters then keep the 13". It's really the vertical resolution that you have to be ok with, since it is 132 pixels less on the 11".

Other than that, the battery is a other major difference, so you have to be alright with a 5 hour battery. But to be honest, doing light things, I've actually been able to push my i7 11" to more than 5 hours. But that's with really light stuff.

newdeal
Aug 7, 2011, 07:00 PM
I would totally return my 13" and get an 11" if the battery life on the 11 was as long as the 13 and if it had a 16:10 aspect ratio (same width, more height)

NutsNGum
Aug 7, 2011, 07:01 PM
You know that the 13" is the right choice. I had the same dilemma, I picked the 13" for all the reasons you've mentioned.

thelead
Aug 7, 2011, 07:09 PM
I went from the 2010 11-inch to the new 13 and am loving the difference. As weird as it sounds, one of the biggest things I like about the 13 more is the larger trackpad. It makes a HUGE difference with Lion.

I had the 2010 11" and went with the 13" today. The trackpad being one of the two deciding factors. The other was screen vertical resolution. I hated having to scroll so much on the 11". The only thing I will miss is the size and weight for portability, but honestly, there isn't that much of a difference in weight.

i0Nic
Aug 7, 2011, 07:11 PM
I owned and used both the 11" and 13" for a week, and finally decided that the 13" was right for me.

The larger screen, larger trackpad and longer battery life trumped the increased portability of the 11" for me. The 13" is still very portable.

amitdoc2b
Aug 7, 2011, 07:15 PM
I had the 2010 11" and went with the 13" today. The trackpad being one of the two deciding factors. The other was screen vertical resolution. I hated having to scroll so much on the 11". The only thing I will miss is the size and weight for portability, but honestly, there isn't that much of a difference in weight.

Keep it coming guys, I will tell you my final decision tomorrow and why once I have considered everyone's posts. As for the above quote, I agree that the weight may be close to negligible since both are easy to carry.. but the fact remains that the 11" is 20% lighter than the 13". But I don't want to seem biased because I really am not, so I should also say that the battery on the 11" also lasts almost 30% less than the 13".

smchan
Aug 7, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'm trying to make the same decision. I'm likely going for a 13" due to battery life, screen resolution, and CPU - plus I just bought my wife an 11" yesterday. My hangup is that it was difficult to use my 13" MBP in coach class when traveling. If the seat in front of me was reclined, it was impossible. I think the 11" might fare better there.

Anyways, I'm leaning to the 13" with the idea that for those times I fly, she and I can just swap machines. We'll just need to make accounts for both of us on both machines and make sure our docs are sync'ed appropriately.

Sam

thelead
Aug 7, 2011, 07:30 PM
Keep it coming guys, I will tell you my final decision tomorrow and why once I have considered everyone's posts. As for the above quote, I agree that the weight may be close to negligible since both are easy to carry.. but the fact remains that the 11" is 20% lighter than the 13". But I don't want to seem biased because I really am not, so I should also say that the battery on the 11" also lasts almost 30% less than the 13".

The battery was just an added bonus for me. Really, the vertical resolution was a pain on the 11" though. The 11" MBA's trackpad was an annoyance as well if you're coming from a unibody MBP.

LeakedDave
Aug 7, 2011, 07:33 PM
I solved this by getting my GF to get the 11" Air ;)

So if I lust for that I can just use it. But 13" is my main machine, and my only computer, which is why I went for the 13"

Roller
Aug 7, 2011, 07:34 PM
I doubt if anyone here will be able to tell you anything that you haven't already read or thought about yourself. Truth is, there's no right or wrong answer. In my case, I chose the 11" because size/weight were my main criteria. I was willing to trade screen space and battery life for a smaller, lighter computer.

So far, I've been very pleased with my MBA. I'm taking it places that I never would have considered carrying my MacBook (or, I suspect, a 13" MBA). It's even largely replaced my iPad at home. Although I still like the iPad for games and watching movies and TV shows, I prefer the MBA with its keyboard and desktop apps when I have to write more than a few lines. i'm using it in bed right now, and I doubt that I would have composed this response on my iPad.

Good luck with your decision - you really won't go wrong either way.

mortenandersen
Aug 7, 2011, 07:44 PM
13 days ago, I was stuck between an 11" i5/128 and a 13" i5/128, and till this day I still am. I was sure I was going to get an 11" before they released the specs on July 20th, but I still ended up getting the 13".

Pros about the 13":
-Has a thinner bezel
-Has a bigger screen
-Has the SD card slot
-Has louder speakers
-Mine is double Samsung!

Pros about the 11":
-And I keep daydreaming about the 11" (while still admiring the 13") despite a shorter list of pros that I could come up with.

I would like to add, the main reason I picked the 13" last minute when I was thinking 11" the whole time was that the battery was 2 hours longer and the resolution is equivalent to a 15". My biggest thing is to be able to work on two documents side-by-side. I'm sure I could adjust to either screen size otherwise. I'm also not traveling with it as much, I like the slimness more because of looks and moving it around the apartment. I will barely be using the battery ever, but its nice to have the extra hours on those rare occasions if I EVER needed it. Yet, despite everything I said I probably would have grabbed the 11" even if it had 1 of those 2 features I originally mentioned (higher resolution to a 15" or two more hours battery) even though I am adjustable to both.

Anyone care to add pros or cons? This is your one last shot to convince me to keep the 13" or exchange for the 11" before tomorrow night when my 14 days is up!

From what you are writing from your experience, it seems clear to me that you should have both if your economy allows it. The 11 and 13 are complementing each other.

amitdoc2b
Aug 7, 2011, 07:47 PM
From what you are writing from your experience, it seems clear to me that you should have both if your economy allows it. The 11 and 13 are complementing each other.

I can't afford both. If I could, I would strongly consider a 27" thunderbolt display with an 11" MBA at that point :cool:

(simply because I said earlier if I could get one or the other, screen resolution or battery, I would have likely gone with the 11" when originally making the purchase two weeks back)

Young Spade
Aug 7, 2011, 07:54 PM

Does that .x lb drop in weight really matter to you? I don't think that's a logical point to base an entire purchase on.

Most people would go for the 13 if they had the money; the 13 is better in every way.

Personally, I wanted to get the 13 inch Air for class; I'm a second year college student. I ended up going with the 13 MBP because of the higher overall specs and, to be honest, you're paying for that extra bit of space saved with the Air instead of performance.

Go into an Apple store and just look at them. Is it worth it downgrading in all aspects for an inch or two saved on a desk? The Pro is pretty damn small itself; honestly I think that people get so caught up in specs that they forget how small the machines actually "feel".

Given the choice of taking this back and getting a MBA for the same price, I'd stick with this one. If you're keeping the machine for years, you might end up needing that extra few hours of battery life, might need the increase in specs, and staring at a sub 12 inch screen all day sucks, IMO. I used a 11.6 inch netbook for 1.5 years before I got my first MB in April.

Dominus Mortem
Aug 7, 2011, 08:10 PM
I can't afford both. If I could, I would strongly consider a 27" thunderbolt display with an 11" MBA at that point :cool:

(simply because I said earlier if I could get one or the other, screen resolution or battery, I would have likely gone with the 11" when originally making the purchase two weeks back)

If it's such a tight choice then you must be looking for reasons to validate getting the 11". If it's that close then you probably should get the 13" because it can do everything the 11" except be as small and light. The best reason to choose an 11" is if you want it with you at all times and want to slip it into backpacks, purses, large jacket pocket, etc. Otherwise you'll likely be much happier with the 13" over time.

Just to keep you thinking about too many choice: Right now is a buyer's market for the 2010 C2D machines; the market has been flooded with them. You can grab a 2010 C2D 13" for $900 and a C2D 11" 2010 for $700. That's $1,600 and no sales tax and that's even less than a 13" 2011 ultimate.

urkel
Aug 7, 2011, 08:15 PM
The things that swayed me towards the 13" is the SD and a misconception of how a bigger screen would be more usable. But after using an 11" a little more then I'm feeling some regret because the 11" is just as usable, cheaper and probably has a better resale value. So ive got to really think this through.

Sounds Good
Aug 7, 2011, 08:16 PM
The best reason to choose an 11" is if you want it with you at all times and want to slip it into backpacks, purses, large jacket pocket, etc. *Otherwise you'll likely be much happier with the 13" over time.
Why is that?

macrat
Aug 7, 2011, 08:17 PM
I've been on the fence between this two for a while but finally ordered the 13" by simply asking myself what is it that I want this Air for? And it was for serious photo processing when I am traveling. I went for the 13 as well because of the SD slot, longer battery life, and bigger (and maybe better?) screen. From a distance the 13 also looks more awesome than the diminutive 11 and I'll get to that shortly.

But I also have the iPad 2 so if I have to drool after the 11" ultraportability, I already have that option in my iPad2 so it became an easy decision for me.

They say that the 11 just looks so "cool" with its size but you know what, I saw a guy at Starbucks enjoying his 11 Air and the darn thing looked like a toy and a glorified netbook specially that the guy is quite heavy and tall!!! Not cool at all in my books, if "coolness" is part of your dilemma.

Go for the 13 and get yourself a refurb iPad in the near future. It's a great combo!:cool:

VMMan
Aug 7, 2011, 08:18 PM
@OP,

Anandtech found the 2011 MBA 13" to only have about 30-40 min longer battery life than the 11" with light use.

illutionz
Aug 7, 2011, 08:25 PM
I've been on the fence between this two for a while but finally went for the 13" by simply asking myself what is it that I want this Air for? And it was for serious photo processing when I am traveling. I went for the 13 as well because of the SD slot, longer battery life, and bigger (and maybe better?) screen. From a distance the 13 also looks more awesome than the diminutive 11

But I also have the iPad 2 so if I have to drool after the 11" ultraportability, I already have that option in my iPad2 so it became an easy decision for me.

They say that the 11 just looks so "cool" with its size but you know what, I saw a guy at Starbucks enjoying his 11 Air and the darn thing looked like a toy and a glorified netbook specially that the guy is quite heavy and tall!!! Not cool at all in my books, if "coolness" is part of your dilemma.

Go for the 13 and get yourself a refurb iPad in the near future. It's a great combo!:cool:

Agreed with your point. I had this issue a couple weeks ago until I visited local Apple store to test-drive the two machines. I found the 11" is way too small for my needs.

I asked myself, what will I be using/doing when I am outside/traveling. I have concluded I will be doing tasks that requires larger screen and the 11" will not be the best option for me. I don't wear anything that I can slip my MBA 11" to nor I want to "wear" my computer around (I have iPad 1 and I always put it in my bag while traveling).

That said, it's an easy decision for me to go for the 13" after weighing in these factors.

macrat
Aug 7, 2011, 08:40 PM

I'm almost ready to conclude that those that prefer the 11" do not own or do not plan to buy an iPad, which makes sense.

Buy if you plan to get an iPad (specially the upcoming iPad3 :p), get the 13" now. I also noticed on Craiglist in my area that iPad 1's are going for cheap ready to sell prices!

s.hasan546
Aug 7, 2011, 08:49 PM
Most people would go for the 13 if they had the money; the 13 is better in every way.

Is it worth it downgrading in all aspects for an inch or two saved on a desk? The Pro is pretty damn small itself; honestly I think that people get so caught up in specs that they forget how small the machines actually "feel".

Given the choice of taking this back and getting a MBA for the same price, I'd stick with this one. If you're keeping the machine for years, you might end up needing that extra few hours of battery life, might need the increase in specs, and staring at a sub 12 inch screen all day sucks, IMO. I used a 11.6 inch netbook for 1.5 years before I got my first MB in April.

Actually most people wouldn't go for the 13 if they had the money. Money has nothing to do with it. Id pay extra for the 11".

Also most of us business users use external monitors or desktops at work. We use our laptops mainly while traveling and commuting, which the 11" is perfect for.

I dont stare at an 11" screen all day. I have 2 22" monitors for the mba 11" at my desk at home. At work i have a pc with a 3 monitor setup. But i use the 11" everyday on the train for an hour each way. Which the 11 is perfect for and battery life is fine for that hour. I never use the laptop for more than 1 hour off the charger.

i0Nic
Aug 7, 2011, 08:54 PM
I can see that you are really deliberating between the 11" and 13" and finding it really hard to decide. So was I.

At the end the day, you *will* be happy with either model.

I went from 11" to 13" for fairly trivial reasons which may not be dealbreakers. If I had stuck with the 11" I'd probably be just as happy. If I originally got the 13" without comparing the 11", I'd still be just as happy.

The machine is great. It's portable, fast, and easy to slip into many bags and has a big enough screen to meet any portable demands. That is the case for either model. Don't try to over analyse things and compare very specific, minor usages that people have. Just get the one that makes you happier. I just decided that the bigger screen and battery life would make me a bit happier than the smaller size.

The 11" has a little smaller screen and is a little more portable, with a little less battery life. The 13" has a little bigger screen and is a little less portable, but with a little more battery life. What I'm trying to say is, the difference between the two is little! So don't sweat it a lot.

urkel
Aug 7, 2011, 09:31 PM
If it's such a tight choice then you must be looking for reasons to validate getting the 11". If it's that close then you probably should get the 13" because it can do everything the 11" except be as small and light. The best reason to choose an 11" is if you want it with you at all times and want to slip it into backpacks, purses, large jacket pocket, etc. Otherwise you'll likely be much happier with the 13" over time.

Im in the same situation as the OP and I know Im trying to validate my desire for the 11".

The 11" has some insane "sexiness" that is immediately appealing but I really wonder how it works out for non-power travelers in the long run. I just got the 13" and like it very much, but im very close to switching to an 11" just because my brain is telling me that I "need" it.

hefeglass
Aug 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
the grass is always greener on the other side!
i must say, i have been eyeing the 11 ever since getting the 13..
but after reading the pros and cons again, i am going to stick with this 13...

KylePowers
Aug 7, 2011, 10:57 PM
I debated for weeks and ultimately went 11-inch.

It's my first Apple laptop and the battery life trumps my previous laptop's. I typically get 4-5 hours with low or no backlit keys + 1-6 bars on screen brightness (I'm a touch typist and live in a bat cave). So maybe instead of comparing the 11-inch battery life to the 13-inch's, try comparing it to your previous one? That's how I look at it, thusly making it a better mobile computing experience.

I thought 4-5 hour battery life would bother me, but seldom am I ever mobile for that length of time. It doesn't particularly bother me to have my MBA plugged in and charging while using it, plus it charges relatively fast. Just something to think about, I'd say.

But yes, the portability cannot be rivaled and that's probably the main reason I chose it. It's a secondary computer to my 27" iMac. Now, if it was my only laptop, I'd definitely go 13-inch. Not really because of battery life, but because of screen real estate and the SD card slot.

Now, don't get me wrong... I don't particularly find the 11in hard to use, but I guess I'm on the short side for a male (5'8"; Asian-descent; engineering student, go figure), so maybe it's easier for me.

Lion really helped my deciding factor in that fullscreen apps can easily make up for the space the dock and Apple bar (I have no idea what it's called) take up making most applications relatively easy to use. 3-finger swiping between fullscreen apps is ridiculously convenient and I simply don't see the screen-size to be that much of a disadvantage, as long as you're willing to adapt.

I haven't used the larger trackpads found on the 13in or MBPs for extended periods of time, but I do have the trackpad for my iMac... which I believe is larger than both the 11-inch's and 13-inch's. I don't see much of a difference in terms of gesture usage, in that I don't separate my fingers more or open them wider just because I'm on a larger trackpad. I just do what's comfortable, and what's comfortable works on both sizes.

Anywho, those are just some of my findings n_n

EDIT: Also, money was not a deciding factor. I got mine at Best Buy in a tax-free state and got the $100 gift card =)

macbookpro45
Aug 7, 2011, 11:33 PM
sticking point for me would be the 13"mba has a 'proper', 'normal' resolution - i use those words loosely, of course.

MacLappy
Aug 8, 2011, 01:50 AM
Would like to add the 13" palm rest seems to be wider and longer, it feels really comfortable leaving my hands on the 13" for extended period of typing, almost feels like it requires no effort due to the ample resting space. While the 11" feels kinda tight, my hands seem to be bordering on the edges all the time, almost like i got to make a conscience effort to avoid having them fall off the edges while not skirting too close to the trackpad. I can't say that i really tested out the 11" all that much, since the only opportunity i had to try one was limited to the 15 mins i took to decide at the apple store, but it did feel slightly less comfortable. Could have been my imagination or maybe i just got big hands!

Dominus Mortem
Aug 8, 2011, 01:57 AM
The best reason to choose an 11" is if you want it with you at all times and want to slip it into backpacks, purses, large jacket pocket, etc. Otherwise you'll likely be much happier with the 13" over time.

Why is that?

* 13" has a larger screen, almost always this is an advantage
* It has a 1-2 hour better battery life
* It is only .6 lbs heavier, almost impossible to notice that much more
* It has a larger trackpad (tho truthfully it's hard to notice unless you obsess about it)

Those are the most important differences.

Dominus Mortem
Aug 8, 2011, 02:04 AM
Im in the same situation as the OP and I know Im trying to validate my desire for the 11".

The 11" has some insane "sexiness" that is immediately appealing but I really wonder how it works out for non-power travelers in the long run. I just got the 13" and like it very much, but im very close to switching to an 11" just because my brain is telling me that I "need" it.

The problem I run into with the 11" is that away from home I come close to running the battery down completely more often than not. I really need another 2 hours of battery life. I carry an ipad with me along with the 11" right now for that reason. I'm returning to school in a few weeks and I'll use the 13" there as the 11" won't have enough battery to allow me to finish the day with it (I have both, it's a long story why, and it looks like I'll be keeping both). I'd like to sell the ipad to recoup some of my expenditures but I think I'd miss it too much. I always have too many computers so this situation is nothing new for me.

kilonet
Aug 8, 2011, 02:21 AM
Well my choise would be 11" for portability and Mini or iMac for work and gaming. If I would have only one laptop Id go for MBP.

Not something in between (13").

kegler
Aug 8, 2011, 02:23 AM
i was in a similar situation as you
i asked myself.... when im carrying it ard....would i be carrying e mba in a bag? if yes, it doesnt matter 11 or 13. You will need a bag.

i also asked myself.....does the 270grams more feels much diff? isit worth the extra battery life? extra screen reso? sd card for extra storage? extra speed? and all these for just $100 more ?

:)

misterneums
Aug 8, 2011, 03:48 AM
I really need to avoid threads like these... I've owned my 13" for 9 days now. I really like it, but part of me keeps thinking back to the 11" version. I just need to weigh the pro's and con's of each one.

When it comes down to it, for me, the 13" just has a higher set of Pros/Better aspects than the 11".
+Better Battery Life
+SD Card Slot
+More Powerful i5 Processor
+Larger Screen
+Higher Resolution Screen
-Larger Physical Footprint
-Slightly more weight.

++My 13" is double Samsung--do I really want to play the Apple Lottery again?

Roman2K~
Aug 8, 2011, 03:49 AM
I was in the same situation as the OP last week. In the end, I went with the 13" mainly because of the higher, eye-soothing screen resolution ;).

alecgold
Aug 8, 2011, 04:45 AM
Reasons for picking the 11” over the 13”.

The 11” has on almost every front a little bit less than the 13”
It has less pixels, less battery life, a little bit less CPU power but also a little bit less weight, costs a little bit less, smaller size and is much more portable.
Point for point:
- less pixels is a bit worrying, but we have done with much, much less pixels in the past and that worked as well. The 19:9 ratio is a little bit less handy for working with texts etc. but hiding the dock or putting it to the left size and using full screen when possible, makes it work quite well. And if you really want to, you can use the 27” thunderbolt display, which makes your MBA 11 (or 13 for that matter) an asthmatic iMac.
- Less battery life is relative. If you are a roadworrier (or you see yourself being a roadwarrior) even 5 hours might get you a long, long way. I’ve managed with my 2010 13” well over 9 hours being very careful, not using wifi etc, just using word. The 11” can be pushed to 7 hours of very light use. But if you are on the road, how often do you have wifi around? And if you are traveling by car, you could get the car charger from hypermac. I’ve got one (I hardly ever use it, but it has it’s moments of glory when you really couldn’t do without it). Other solution is a hypermac battery. But I’m not sure if these are still being sold as Apple didn’t like the idea of reusing the magsafe wires….
- If you need CPU-power, don’t get a macbook air. Easy as that. But if you think you can manage with it, the differences are small between the 11 and 13”.
- The 11” is a good €300 cheaper if you compare the most basic versions. If you compare a bit more equal systems with both 4Gb and 128 Gb and just 0,1Ghz difference in the processor the difference is only €100. Never the less, if you can live with the basic 11”, it’s quite a saving! And the 2Gb memory isn’t that bad, for one has OS-X a nice memory using behaviour and secondly is a swapfile not as bad with the flash memory as it was on a HDD.
- The 13” is very portable, coming from a 13” macbook pro and a 17” macbook pro. And the 11” isn’t that much smaller, I think it is just a few cubic centimeters smaller, it’s not that much lighter, about 300 gram or 0,6 pounds and yet it feels like a whole new class of portable. I can’t believe how much more portable an 11” feels compared to the already very portable 13”. And without feeling like a week, feeble laptop, because it feels even sturdier than my 13”. If you just look at the numbers, it shouldn’t feel like so much more portable. But that’s the same with the performance of these little buggers. On paper the numbers tell you a macbook pro or a imac is much faster. But if you do your day to day work on them, they feel like they are blazing fast, just because everything starts so fast. Opening word, parallels, Acrobat pro, it’s opening in the blink of an eye. And when you don’t do much crunching (coding or video encoding) on it, you will never notice it only has got an IGP or an ultra low voltage processor.

So there are two points to make in the end; one is that the 11” isn’t much less of a computer compared to the 13” and the second is that the 13” basic model has a very good price, compared to the 11” with the same specs that is just $100 cheaper.
So if you want just a computer and €1249 is in your budget and you don’t have much ultra portability needed, the 13” is very nice.
If you are on a tight budget or you want to have ultra portability, choose the 11” and you’ll never look back.

amitdoc2b
Aug 9, 2011, 10:33 AM
I really need to avoid threads like these... I've owned my 13" for 9 days now. I really like it, but part of me keeps thinking back to the 11" version. I just need to weigh the pro's and con's of each one.

When it comes down to it, for me, the 13" just has a higher set of Pros/Better aspects than the 11".
+Better Battery Life
+SD Card Slot
+More Powerful i5 Processor
+Larger Screen
+Higher Resolution Screen
-Larger Physical Footprint
-Slightly more weight.

++My 13" is double Samsung--do I really want to play the Apple Lottery again?

My decision:

I decided to keep the 13” MBA. The only thing I like about the 11” is the footprint, and apparently this footprint is very high on my list of wants because of the attractiveness factor. However, I don’t like the battery life, screen resolution, don’t care about the weight difference, nor would I ever travel with it without putting it in a bag anyways. If my 13” MBA was not double Samsung, I think I would have more of a bigger reason to consider a switch because then two things would mentally eat me alive based on what I read on these forums (samsung issue, battery life).

It’s true I will never use 7 hours in a day of battery anyways, but I don’t typically use a laptop at recommended low settings.. rather on high brightness and do multi-task using both flash/non-flashed based sites.. so I rather have 4 hours of usage from the 13” in real intensive settings than 2-3 hours from the 11”. I think carrying an 11” plus a charger in most occasions is worse than carrying a 13” without worrying about bringing a charger in most scenarios.

Ironically the bezel really bothers me about the 11” too... does anyone notice the bezel around the screen is double the size of the area around the keyboards? On the 13” the bezel around the screen is slimmer and matches the area around the keyboards. Along with the vertical resolution, I think this is what is adding to its odd stunted look that some people are concerned about. I really want the 11”, but maybe next year if they can improve at least the battery on it if nothing else. Thanks guys/girls for all your helpful info.

So maybe an 11” without the charger in 2012 when its ready for prime time like the 13” is now! :-)

misterneums
Aug 9, 2011, 10:39 AM
My decision:

I decided to keep the 13” MBA. The only thing I like about the 11” is the footprint, and apparently this footprint is very high on my list of wants because of the attractiveness factor. However, I don’t like the battery life, screen resolution, don’t care about the weight difference, nor would I ever travel with it without putting it in a bag anyways. If my 13” MBA was not double Samsung, I think I would have more of a bigger reason to consider a switch because then two things would mentally eat me alive based on what I read on these forums (samsung issue, battery life).

It’s true I will never use 7 hours in a day of battery anyways, but I don’t typically use a laptop at recommended low settings.. rather on high resolutions and do multi-task using both flash/non-flashed based sites.. so I rather have 4 hours of usage from the 13” in real intensive settings than 2-3 hours from the 11”. I think carrying an 11” plus a charger in most occasions is worse than carrying a 13” without worrying about bringing a charger in most scenarios.

Ironically the bezel really bothers me about the 11” too... does anyone notice the bezel around the screen is double the size of the area around the keyboards? On the 13” the bezel around the screen is slimmer and matches the area around the keyboards. I really want the 11”, but maybe next year if they can improve at least the battery on it if nothing else. Thanks guys/girls for all your helpful info.

So maybe an 11” without the charger in 2012 when its ready for prime time like the 13” is now! :-)

It's always a hard decision.

slpslee
Aug 9, 2011, 10:59 AM
I can vouch for the fact that the 11" is more than acceptable as a business laptop. I used mine for 10 hours straight yesterday, and I didn't find myself wishing for more screen real estate. I love slipping it into a small bag, and I'm good to go. When I thought about it, I decided portability was the major issue for me. I was just tired of lugging a brick everywhere, as nice a brick as it was. I had a 13" MBP but sold it because it was just kind of an anomaly--neither small nor light enough to be radically different from what I already owned.

To me, Lion is the perfect component that really makes this model practical. I love mine. I do have a 15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, but I'm not sure what I'll use it for any more. I'm so glad I got the top of the line configuration, because I can see myself using this MBA for years to come and, since it came with the larger SSD installed, there's no need to upgrade to a larger capacity internal storage any time in the foreseeable future.

Sounds Good
Aug 9, 2011, 11:00 AM
The only thing I like about the 11” is the footprint...
Funny, I have the same thoughts about the footprint. I actually work from home and rarely travel, so my laptop is usually attached to a 24" monitor. But when I either move around the house or very occasionally want to take the laptop out somewhere with me, I really, really want that small footprint! It sounds crazy, but even just sitting at my kitchen table while having breakfast and reading email or news, I would love the small footprint of the 11" MBA.

So, am I nuts? Is an 11" laptop a good idea for me? Bad idea? Am I better off with a 13" (or larger?) laptop ???

Help! :)

cpnotebook80
Aug 9, 2011, 11:01 AM
I got both the mba 11 and 13". the 13" seems massive to me and sure the screen estate is big and battery life is longer. But my 11" works perfectly when i was out on the patio last evening and sits perfectly on my lap and not too big or small and still do everything i want.
plus its light to hold with one hand
the 13" is great too although i played it for a bit but still went to 11" lol

urkel
Aug 9, 2011, 11:35 AM
I got both the mba 11 and 13". the 13" seems massive to me
It sounds stupid to say the 13" seems "massive", but I got the 13" and just bought an 11" 2010 and the difference is amazing.

Weight: The 13" doesnt actually weigh much more but it feels like it does.
Size: 11" fits in a tiny netbook sling bag but the 13" requires the same big bag you need for an MBP13.

User Experience: Here's where the big selling point of the 11" comes in. Despite it being smaller physically, when talking about getting work done then it feels just as big as the 13". The screen resolution is pretty close so my aperture/photoshop/website work looks almost identical, the keyboards are the same size, they work equally well as 2nd screens when attached to my 24" monitor and it has the same port limitations. So everything I could or couldnt do on the 13" is exactly the same on the 11" except the 11" is tiny.

The only thing holding me back from upgrading is Best Buy. I bought the 13" 256GB with gift cards Ive been saving so I have to buy from them again but they dont sell the 11" 256GB. So by trading up I'd have to live with a smaller drive (which is difficult because I keep my Aperture library and masters on the internal) or look elsewhere for SSD upgrades and they are ridiculously expensive. So in th end i may be "stuck" with an awesome (but not tiny) 13" MBA.

Pipper99
Aug 9, 2011, 11:53 AM
I agonized over the choice on the 2010 model. I originally got an 11" because it was so unique, but I just didn't like working on that small, vertically short screen. The smaller trackpad bothered me, working with a number of open windows seemed unpleasant, and I didn't like looking at photos on that small of a screen. I returned the 11", and I bought the 13", and the 13" was just right, for me. I completely understand the appeal of the 11" for others who have different needs/desires/circumstances: it's a beautiful, powerful machine. Ultimately, I wanted a larger screen, particularly in the vertical. I must say that I'm glad to have the SD slot on the 13": I use it a lot. I wish that I could afford both. :)

OP, based on what you've said, I think that you made the right choice for yourself.

Young Spade
Aug 9, 2011, 12:18 PM
Funny, I have the same thoughts about the footprint. I actually work from home and rarely travel, so my laptop is usually attached to a 24" monitor. But when I either move around the house or very occasionally want to take the laptop out somewhere with me, I really, really want that small footprint! It sounds crazy, but even just sitting at my kitchen table while having breakfast and reading email or news, I would love the small footprint of the 11" MBA.

So, am I nuts? Is an 11" laptop a good idea for me? Bad idea? Am I better off with a 13" (or larger?) laptop ???

Help! :)

There's definitely no problem with that; personally out of the 11/13 MBA and the 13 MBP for my next, only, laptop, I really, really wanted the 11 inch Air. It's small, fast, and since I'm a college student I want to have as much desk space left after my laptop when I'm in class.

The only thing holding me back was the 5 hour battery. Yea I could just throw a charger in the bag with the laptop, however if I have3/4 classes a day and don't have time to find a charger, I run the risk of being out of power by the last class. Don't want that happening.

However if you can manage on a ~5 hour battery, then by all means get it. When you get back to your desk, you can simply hook up a separate monitor. Easy as that.

I got both the mba 11 and 13". the 13" seems massive to me and sure the screen estate is big and battery life is longer. But my 11" works perfectly when i was out on the patio last evening and sits perfectly on my lap and not too big or small and still do everything i want.
plus its light to hold with one hand
the 13" is great too although i played it for a bit but still went to 11" lol

Exactly; I love taking my MBP around the house with me; it's the thinnest/smallest fully functional laptop I have ever owned. HOwever, when I'm eating dinner or something, I remember loving taking my iPad 1 and a stand downstairs for that. Easier manipulation and control.

When using the laptop, I just set a video to play, push it back, and eat. It does take up a bit more space than I would like though :/

BENJMNS
Aug 9, 2011, 12:39 PM
Actually most people wouldn't go for the 13 if they had the money. Money has nothing to do with it. Id pay extra for the 11".

Also most of us business users use external monitors or desktops at work. We use our laptops mainly while traveling and commuting, which the 11" is perfect for.

I dont stare at an 11" screen all day. I have 2 22" monitors for the mba 11" at my desk at home. At work i have a pc with a 3 monitor setup. But i use the 11" everyday on the train for an hour each way. Which the 11 is perfect for and battery life is fine for that hour. I never use the laptop for more than 1 hour off the charger.

Money ALWAYS has something to do with it unless you're flat out rich where a $2K expenditure is like buying a packet of gum.

It is a tough call. I have the 13 ultimate, but am sometimes tempted by the 11, but not enough to go through the hassle of selling it, reloading the 11, etc.

Young Spade
Aug 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
Money ALWAYS has something to do with it unless you're flat out rich where a $2K expenditure is like buying a packet of gum.

It is a tough call. I have the 13 ultimate, but am sometimes tempted by the 11, but not enough to go through the hassle of selling it, reloading the 11, etc.

Exactly. The differences are getting smaller (clock speed, battery life, screen size, sd card) but they are still differences; whether or not they're worth the extra few bucks will vary between users.

DieterRams
Aug 9, 2011, 03:33 PM
The battery was just an added bonus for me. Really, the vertical resolution was a pain on the 11" though. The 11" MBA's trackpad was an annoyance as well if you're coming from a unibody MBP.

I went to the Apple Store to use it and I had the same impression. However, with Lion, doesn't the full screen ability make up for some of that? And the way you can double-tap with two fingers on a webpage to zoom in on text like you can on iOS make up for that too in terms of browsing on the smaller screen? It really makes me wonder if it may not be that bad.

teerexx52
Aug 9, 2011, 03:39 PM
I went to the Apple Store to use it and I had the same impression. However, with Lion, doesn't the full screen ability make up for some of that? And the way you can double-tap with two fingers on a webpage to zoom in on text like you can on iOS make up for that too in terms of browsing on the smaller screen? It really makes me wonder if it may not be that bad.

Yes, I think the full screen adds a lot and the double tap zoom. I like it a lot for browsing.

DieterRams
Aug 9, 2011, 03:54 PM

Just to keep you thinking about too many choice: Right now is a buyer's market for the 2010 C2D machines; the market has been flooded with them. You can grab a 2010 C2D 13" for $900 and a C2D 11" 2010 for $700. That's $1,600 and no sales tax and that's even less than a 13" 2011 ultimate.

I hear you on the first point. I'm choosing between these two sizes myself, and it's even harder because you can configure both with the exact same highest specs. I almost wish Apple had neutered the 11" somehow to make the decision easier but this time they didn't and it actually works against me. I wanted the 11". I admit I will not travel that much with it but the size/weight is just so cool to pass up. I've always wanted something like this and now these are powerful enough to really use extensively. My main concern is of course screen size but also trackpad size. From my usage in the store, I found that I had to curl up my fingers a bit to type (if I kept my wrists on the laptop so the edge wasn't cutting into my skin) and my thumb was missing the trackpad to click because it was short. But man, this thing is so tiny and awesome :\

Also, the new MBAs are twice as fast as the C2D... isn't that alone worth it if you can afford it? It's not just price but value too, right?

Sounds Good
Aug 9, 2011, 03:54 PM
And the way you can double-tap with two fingers on a webpage to zoom in on text like you can on iOS make up for that too in terms of browsing on the smaller screen?
Where does the "double-tap-zoom" thing work? Only in web browsers? Only certain web browsers? Some documents? All documents?

I would imagine the double-tap-zoom thing would be VERY helpful (I love it on the iPhone and iPad) so I'm curious as to when and where it can be used on the MBA.

Thanks!

DieterRams
Aug 9, 2011, 03:56 PM
The things that swayed me towards the 13" is the SD and a misconception of how a bigger screen would be more usable. But after using an 11" a little more then I'm feeling some regret because the 11" is just as usable, cheaper and probably has a better resale value. So ive got to really think this through.

Is it really just as usable? Did you find your fingers had to curl up a bit to type normally and the trackpad was short so that your thumb wouldn't be as comfortable clicking the trackpad while your fingers move the mouse around (in other words, your thumb would even miss the trackpad at the bottom edge)?

thelead
Aug 9, 2011, 04:01 PM

I would think that Lion would help but I still doubt I could live with the vertical resolution. I love 16:9 screens but at 11" it starts to be a little too wide.

DieterRams
Aug 9, 2011, 04:01 PM
Where does the "double-tap-zoom" thing work? Only in web browsers? Only certain web browsers? Some documents? All documents?

I would imagine the double-tap-zoom thing would be VERY helpful (I love it on the iPhone and iPad) so I'm curious as to when and where it can be used on the MBA.

Thanks!

I know it works in Safari and Preview (pdf), didn't try it on other apps or file types though. I would love to know this too.

Young Spade
Aug 9, 2011, 04:02 PM

Yes you can do those things and run it in full screen, however you are still looking on a smaller overall space. Having a higher screen resolution is helpful but it is still "cramped" as opposed to looking at a 13 inch laptop.

If you can, head to an Apple store (or best buy, whatever) and play with a screen that size and that resolution (if you can't find an Air).

It's alright for doing one thing at a time, however for me, I regularly shuffle between many browsers and programs and occasionally I have more than one open at a time. The extra real estate is great to have in that situation.

kjid
Aug 9, 2011, 04:13 PM
i checked both models at a store today after reading up on wether i should pick 11 or 13 inch since the airs got updated and i really loved the 11 inch, its no way near a small screen size its just great for a laptop. I was gonna compare both models but i didnt feel any need to check out the 13 inch longer than a minute.

The only downside of the 11 inch would be the smaller trackpad for me..

thelead
Aug 9, 2011, 04:13 PM
It's alright for doing one thing at a time, however for me, I regularly shuffle between many browsers and programs and occasionally I have more than one open at a time. The extra real estate is great to have in that situation.

At the end of the day, this is exactly how I felt about my 11".

Young Spade
Aug 9, 2011, 04:52 PM
From my usage in the store, I found that I had to curl up my fingers a bit to type (if I kept my wrists on the laptop so the edge wasn't cutting into my skin) and my thumb was missing the trackpad to click because it was short. But man, this thing is so tiny and awesome :\

Also, the new MBAs are twice as fast as the C2D... isn't that alone worth it if you can afford it? It's not just price but value too, right?

1: From the top snip, it seems like you have problems with the size but you're just caught up on the quality of the machine and it being "awesome". Don't buy things like that. Buy what works for you. Yes it's great to have a new, awesome, machine, however if you buy something nice that doesn't fit your needs, you 're jut wasting money.

2: That means they're fast, however C2D machines are fast as well, and honestly if you're saying that, that means the C2D machines will be perfect for anything you throw at it.

The reason I say this is, well for one, the mindset you have about the machines themselves. People who will benefit from the SNB processors already know that they'll benefit. Yea they're faster but I'm going to assume you aren't doing anything heavier than the bundled applications that come with the machine. If that's true (no HD rendering, no intense photo editing), the C2D will suit your needs just fine.

Thanks!

In applications that are designed for it to work in. Web browsing, pdfs, documents, things like that. Oh and for documents, I don't know if it's all, however I'm going to assume it works in Safari at least, maybe not every program.

YEEZY
Aug 9, 2011, 05:02 PM
I always felt that the 11" machine was too small for me. Even though it's almost a pound lighter, the 13" just feels like the right size for me. The only thing I don't like about the MBA is how easy the screen gets dirty :mad:

DieterRams
Aug 9, 2011, 05:38 PM
It sounds stupid to say the 13" seems "massive", but I got the 13" and just bought an 11" 2010 and the difference is amazing.

So you got a 2011 13" and then bought a 2010 11"? Do I have that right? If so, why? Or you had a 2010 13" and bought a 2010 11" recently? If so, why didn't you get a 2011 version?

The screen resolution is pretty close so my aperture/photoshop/website work looks almost identical, the keyboards are the same size

But don't the floating palettes in a program like Photoshop take up even more space on the 11"? How do you work with your images/graphics there when the palettes take up space? And the trackpad is shorter on the 11" by a decent amount so how do you work with that compared to a 13" that has more breathing room on the trackpad?

DieterRams
Aug 9, 2011, 05:59 PM
1: From the top snip, it seems like you have problems with the size but you're just caught up on the quality of the machine and it being "awesome". Don't buy things like that. Buy what works for you. Yes it's great to have a new, awesome, machine, however if you buy something nice that doesn't fit your needs, you 're jut wasting money.

2: That means they're fast, however C2D machines are fast as well, and honestly if you're saying that, that means the C2D machines will be perfect for anything you throw at it.

The reason I say this is, well for one, the mindset you have about the machines themselves. People who will benefit from the SNB processors already know that they'll benefit. Yea they're faster but I'm going to assume you aren't doing anything heavier than the bundled applications that come with the machine. If that's true (no HD rendering, no intense photo editing), the C2D will suit your needs just fine.

I will be using it as a primary machine. I will be doing lots and lots of web browsing/tabs. I will also be doing programming/software dev (Xcode, Eclipse), web design (Adobe CS5), and some video and music.

I know the general rule that such a small machine is not good for primary but I can be ok with it because I love the size so much. Both have the same highest spec config so power is not lost on the 11". I have 3 major concerns - screen size, trackpad, and keyboard. With the higher pixel density on the 11", screen size is less of an issue and Lion's full-screen and zooming in modes help but vertical space is lost. Trackpad is shorter and my fingers may curl up on the keyboard some more so these two are possibly more uncomfortable than the screen issue. However, overall, the size of it is so much more intimate and picking it up and using it would feel like a real treat rather than just simply normal with any other size laptop. I've always wanted something this physically tiny in a Mac. I have a 1st gen iPad already but that doesn't factor in at all to my decision of getting a small Mac or not. So those are the reasons.... thoughts?

Young Spade
Aug 9, 2011, 08:36 PM
I will be using it as a primary machine. I will be doing lots and lots of web browsing/tabs. I will also be doing programming/software dev (Xcode, Eclipse), web design (Adobe CS5), and some video and music.

Well for those uses, either MBA will do the job, just make sure you have the 4 gig model. Honestly with that work and what you want to do, I think 4 gigs won't be enough if you really get serious with all of that running at one time. The browser might not eat up that much but if you try to do all of that at once, you might run into some trouble.

And you can't upgrade the RAM.

Now with what you stated, just ask yourself if you can live with the cramped space. If you can, get the laptop; if not, get the 13 inch.

I think that we have all pretty much said all we can say; aside from performance it's all up to you to decide as it comes down to personal preference then.

As a college student, power user, and geek, I can't see me getting anything smaller than 13 inches as a primary computer. Ever. It's great for doing specific things when you don't want to be bothered with something big, but when you're in the field and you're trying to get something done, I think that, after a while, you're going to get tired of looking at that screen.

If you want to get it, get it; however I highly suggest getting a high quality wide screen monitor for use at home.

Both machines can handle whatever you throw at them. Think about what you like/don't like, and pick one.

law0915
Aug 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
I've been on the fence between this two for a while but finally ordered the 13" by simply asking myself what is it that I want this Air for? And it was for serious photo processing when I am traveling. I went for the 13 as well because of the SD slot, longer battery life, and bigger (and maybe better?) screen. From a distance the 13 also looks more awesome than the diminutive 11 and I'll get to that shortly.

But the iPad 2 does not run a full fledged OS X Lion!

Young Spade
Aug 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
But the iPad 2 does not run a full fledged OS X Lion!

Why does that matter?

Answer: It does not.

JesseW6889
Aug 9, 2011, 10:42 PM

Sounds like you should have gotten the 11" first and 'had fun with it' then returned it after two weeks for the 13

urkel
Aug 10, 2011, 09:55 PM
After all the teetering back and forth I finally returned the 13" and got an 11". So far here's my praise and regrets:

Praise:
-11" is very comfortable on the lap and when powering my 24" monitor it works great
-11" saved me $400 (over 13" 256GB)
-It fits in my iPad sidebag
-Carrying iPad + 11" Air is still lighter than any notebook I had in the past
-This is my primary Mac. I initially thought I would get a more powerful machine later but even the power in the 11" exceeds that of my last MBP so its making me think twice about buying a Pro when they get refreshed

Regrets:
-I had credit at Best Buy so I couldnt customize
-The 13" 256GB had 80GB free, the 11" 128GB is forcing me to split my Aperture libraries and remove my VM's. Those SSD prices better drop soon because I only have 6GB open after doing monolingual, deleting apps and cleaning out everything.

Right now I'm feeling this was the right choice but I wont know until I start doing work on it tomorrow. But so far so good.

Sounds Good
Aug 11, 2011, 08:27 AM
How much space is available on these SSDs straight out of the box? How much space does the OS and system stuff take up?

amitdoc2b
Aug 11, 2011, 10:13 AM
How much space is available on these SSDs straight out of the box? How much space does the OS and system stuff take up?

I have 120gb available out of the box for my 128gb ssd. So I am assuming that up 8gb was used up by the OSX and included apps?

Sounds Good
Aug 11, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have 120gb available out of the box for my 128gb ssd. So I am assuming that up 8gb was used up by the OSX and included apps?
Wow, only 8GB is taken up to start? That's really good! Is that true across the board for all MBAs?

Young Spade
Aug 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Wow, only 8GB is taken up to start? That's really good! Is that true across the board for all MBAs?

I would assume so; all of the computers pretty much come with exactly the same things. If you buy one of every new machine right now it will all look exactly the same when you open it up.

I'd suggest the 128 though as 64 is just ridiculously small. After installing a good amount of apps and whatnot on it, you'll be lucky to get a few good videos, games, or an iTunes library on there.

Sounds Good
Aug 11, 2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. Frankly I'm concerned that 128 might not be enough.

Young Spade
Aug 11, 2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. Frankly I'm concerned that 128 might not be enough.

No? What all are you going to be doing with your machine? Is a 50 dollar, portable, external HDD out of the question? If you don't have a huge, lossless library, don't keep tens of HD movie rips on your machine, and don't store tons of RAW pictures, you should be fine.

Sounds Good
Aug 13, 2011, 09:55 PM
No? What all are you going to be doing with your machine? Is a 50 dollar, portable, external HDD out of the question? If you don't have a huge, lossless library, don't keep tens of HD movie rips on your machine, and don't store tons of RAW pictures, you should be fine.

Yeah, I guess I would need to keep most photos (large files) and AVCHD videos (very large files) on an external drive.

I'd rather not HAVE TO do that, but I won't have much choice. Oh well.

DrNelly
Aug 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I guess I would need to keep most photos (large files) and AVCHD videos (very large files) on an external drive.

Well, you could always go for the 11" i7 1.8GHz/256GB, that's what I did after returning the 11" i5/128GB; I couldn't be happier with the change.

Young Spade
Aug 13, 2011, 10:20 PM

You could just the cheaper, but overall better, MBP and not have to compromise on internal specs. Is 2.5 pounds really that important?

Sounds Good
Aug 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
Is 2.5 pounds really that important?
For my next purchase... Yes, it is. :)

Young Spade
Aug 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
For my next purchase... Yes, it is. :)

You'd be getting something that's somewhat underpowered and paying over a grand for it at that.

Well let me ask you this (and i'm not trying to sway you, just wondering) WHY are you (and everyone else here) getting the MBA when you can get the baseline Pro (that's as thick as my index finger) for less?

And again, I"m not saying it's stupid or dumb or whatever, just wondering.

rabid snake
Aug 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
You'd be getting something that's somewhat underpowered and paying over a grand for it at that.

Well let me ask you this (and i'm not trying to sway you, just wondering) WHY are you (and everyone else here) getting the MBA when you can get the baseline Pro (that's as thick as my index finger) for less?

And again, I"m not saying it's stupid or dumb or whatever, just wondering.

Two main reasons besides the obvious weight comparison. (Which is a good reason also. If you lug your laptop around along with other things like books, the weight difference matters)

1) Better resolution (1440 x 900 vs 1280 x 800)
2) SSD make's it super snappy.

The resolution sucks on the 13" MBP if you do any serious development work.

FieldingMellish
Aug 14, 2011, 04:39 AM

Pros about the 13":
-Has a thinner bezel
-Has a bigger screen
-Has the SD card slot
-Has louder speakers
-Mine is double Samsung!

Pros about the 11":

I was in the same quandary pre-2011 model and got the 13. Used it for a month. It was like having married the wrong girl and looking back over my shoulder and spotting the one I should have married. I didn't make the same mistake when I was able to re-up to the new models for free. I went 11 and am digging it for all it's worth. I have multiple Macs to use, by the way, so the 11 fits right in. As a designer, I go for the larger monitor for when it's needed. I see it like having a few cars in the garage. It's great to take the two-seater out for a spin.

Sounds Good
Aug 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
I was in the same quandary pre-2011 model and got the 13. Used it for a month. It was like having married the wrong girl and looking back over my shoulder and spotting the one I should have married. I didn't make the same mistake when I was able to re-up to the new models for free. I went 11 and am digging it...
Can you maybe explain why the 13 was wrong and the 11 was right?

Thanks!

----------

Sure... here are a couple of reasons off the top of my head:

1. Size and Weight. I currently have a big/heavy 16.4" laptop, and I'd like something smaller and lighter. A 5 pound laptop feels a LOT heavier (to me) than one that weighs under 3 pounds. Personal preference, I guess.

2. Instant On. I fell in love with this feature on my iPhone and iPad, and would very much like to have it on a laptop.

stevensr123
Aug 14, 2011, 09:29 AM
to be honest these new macbook air's don't seem like they do instant on, mine takes a good 3-4 seconds, then another second or so for the wifi to come one.

Not a complaint, and what harm is 4 seconds? none at all, just a fact I have noticed with my new machine.

I have the 11" i got today, and jesus christ this thing is so light and portable, I can tell why a lot of people didn't get the 13".

urkel
Aug 14, 2011, 10:24 AM

I really believe the 13" MBP is the ideal system for most people but because the MBA is so incredibly sexy then we make excuses for why we need sad so badly (you can put SSD in an MBP), how storage space isn't important (the cloud has yet to be proven for large files) or how the incredibly sleek MBP is somehow a fatso (Its pretty compact for what it holds inside).

For me, I got a 13" MBA thinking I needed the extra screen size but when I realized I spent $1600 for a machine that had the same footprint as the $1100 13" MBP yet had half the capacity and slower processor then I felt my purchase decision was based more on aesthetics than practicality.

So I re-evaluated my needs and got an 11". And IMO the 11" is a unique class of computer in todays market because 1) rarely do you see "smaller screens" cost less than their larger screen counterparts and 2) IF portability truly matters then the 11" is incredibly portable while the 13" MBA has the same portability restrictions as the 13" MBP due to identical footprints.

OBviously the entire Apple lineup right now is good and I don't condemn anyone for getting either Air or Pro, but I really feel the 11" is the best value for power/portability out there today.

Young Spade
Aug 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
2. Instant On. I fell in love with this feature on my iPhone and iPad, and would very much like to have it on a laptop.

to be honest these new macbook air's don't seem like they do instant on, mine takes a good 3-4 seconds, then another second or so for the wifi to come one.

Not a complaint, and what harm is 4 seconds? none at all, just a fact I have noticed with my new machine.

I have the 11" i got today, and jesus christ this thing is so light and portable, I can tell why a lot of people didn't get the 13".

^That's how I feel. I woke up this afternoon, not 30 minutes ago, opened the MBP and typed my password in 2 seconds later. Then I proceeded to use the computer.

It seems to be one of those things like having a push to start car rather than one that you can turn to start but having the wireless key in your back or pocket. It just saves 1-2 seconds.

I really believe the 13" MBP is the ideal system for most people but because the MBA is so incredibly sexy then we make excuses for why we need sad so badly (you can put SSD in an MBP), how storage space isn't important (the cloud has yet to be proven for large files) or how the incredibly sleek MBP is somehow a fatso (Its pretty compact for what it holds inside).

For me, I got a 13" MBA thinking I needed the extra screen size but when I realized I spent $1600 for a machine that had the same footprint as the $1100 13" MBP yet had half the capacity and slower processor then I felt my purchase decision was based more on aesthetics than practicality.

So I re-evaluated my needs and got an 11". And IMO the 11" is a unique class of computer in todays market because 1) rarely do you see "smaller screens" cost less than their larger screen counterparts and 2) IF portability truly matters then the 11" is incredibly portable while the 13" MBA has the same portability restrictions as the 13" MBP due to identical footprints.

OBviously the entire Apple lineup right now is good and I don't condemn anyone for getting either Air or Pro, but I really feel the 11" is the best value for power/portability out there today.

Thank you for the reply. That is, somewhat subconsciously, what I think I was looking for. Before I got my computer, I was on the fence from the time the new Airs came out to the time I walked into the store.

College student, carries books, walks/rides bike to school, has 3-4 classes a day, doesn't like carrying heavy backpack (had to carry a 5.x lb black MB last semester (and the charger) and that sucked.

The MBA seemed to be the best option, and I wanted that, however, it came out to being 1250 (without tax for cheapest 13 inch) rather than 1168 WITH tax for the MBP. When all you're doing is getting a high resolution and saving 2.5 pounds, I thought it wasn't really worth it.

But that's me; and I really, really, really wanted the 11 inch, however it only gets around 4.5 hours of battery life and I can't afford to have it die on my last lecture if I can't get to a charger for some reason (stayed on campus last semester so I could easily go to my room between classes and do whatever).

Don't get me wrong though, if I had the money I would have probably went for the 13 inch Air. I just think that it's a little too expensive and you're paying a bit for the design rather than functionality at that point (which is the whole point of the air, the design).

It's a great machine though; I'll probably end up getting the next, next future generation (3-4 years time) when everything starts getting really good.

If you think about it, we're paying a lot for what's going to be obsolete in a few years (we all know this) BUT, I can't wait to see WHAT will make it obsolete.

mrgossett
Aug 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
I just received my new 11" last week, and I'm absolutely 100% happy with it. I don't live close to an Apple Store or Best Buy, so I didn't get to actually try out the 11" before ordering. I also have had a 2nd gen. 13" Air which I've enjoyed, but I decided to "think different" and try the 11", and it's great. Unless you've got really big hands, it's perfect to type on, and the screen is great- very, very sharp and bright. Yes the native text size is smaller than my old Air (1280x800 display), but the extra sharpness makes up for it, and Lion makes it so easy to zoom in with the gestures. The full screen mode also helps make the most use of the smaller screen. My old 13" feels like a hog now after using the 11".

DieterRams
Aug 14, 2011, 03:04 PM

That's exactly why I'd like to get the 11" but could you live with using it without an external monitor and its smaller palm rest and smaller trackpad when doing work?

entatlrg
Aug 14, 2011, 03:36 PM
@OP,

Anandtech found the 2011 MBA 13" to only have about 30-40 min longer battery life than the 11" with light use.

Seriously? I wouldn't expect that.

Thought the 13" gives 1 - 2 hours more battery life.

stevensr123
Aug 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
That's exactly why I'd like to get the 11" but could you live with using it without an external monitor and its smaller palm rest and smaller trackpad when doing work?

Depends one why your doing , work wise that is.

The way I see is, if you can browse on your iPhone or iPad for hours, then this screen is even better.

For anything like word, and stuff like that, if your doing autocad like I do, or photo shop, anything smaller than a 17" is hard to work on. But that's just my opinion.

The palm rest isn't a problem for me either, it's so thin to me I it's like I can rest my palm on my desk at the same time as using the track pad :D

One thing I have noticed though is that because the width is a lot smaller than my old mac book prob, I have the tendency to press the wrong key because I'm used to moving my hand a longer distance.

But I will simply get used to that, full screen apps are also great, but does anyone know how the instantly get out of the full screen state? I press escape but it takes about 4 presses or something and I don't always want to be going to the corner of the screen to exit.

supersalo
Aug 14, 2011, 11:07 PM
But I will simply get used to that, full screen apps are also great, but does anyone know how the instantly get out of the full screen state? I press escape but it takes about 4 presses or something and I don't always want to be going to the corner of the screen to exit.

Control + Command + F is the default shortcut to exit out of fullscreen

----------

Seriously? I wouldn't expect that.

Thought the 13" gives 1 - 2 hours more battery life.

I tried both the 11" i7 and 13" i5 and I got about 50 minutes more out of the 13". I was doing iPhone development and had Spotify running the whole time streaming music, a few Safari windows open, Preview, TextEdit, Xcode, iTunes (idle).

Young Spade
Aug 14, 2011, 11:14 PM
I tried both the 11" i7 and 13" i5 and I got about 50 minutes more out of the 13". I was doing iPhone development and had Spotify running the whole time streaming music, a few Safari windows open, Preview, TextEdit, Xcode, iTunes (idle).

Very interesting; how much time do you get out of the 13 inch on average with that kind of usage and lighter/heavier usage?

If you could answer the same for the 11, that would be great as well; of course, only if it isn't too much of a bother :)