Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
I'm working on modifying a Wordpress theme (Feather by Elegant Themes) right now. I've inserted an image above the header navigation menu. I inserted it via FTP at the top of home.php, but this is obviously only showing it at the very top of the page. I need it to be directly beneath the menu. And I need this to only be on the home page, and on no other page. Which file am I going to need to edit, and where in the file does the image need to be placed? Any help is appreciated!

URL: http://www.lifesweetened.com

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Do you know CSS and HTML?

Depending on the how that template is setup, you'll need to do some (possibly a lot) of modifications to CSS and possibly the HTML.

You may want to consider paying someone to help, unless you have a good amount of time on your hands and want to learn CSS and HTML.

Hope that helps!

~ Jeremy

indubitably

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
First off, are we talking about Final_Logo_and_Frame_Small.png the large logo picture?

"I inserted it via FTP": So you placed the image file onto your server, so far so good.

"at the top of home.php": I don't get this part, did you edit the home.php file to include this image? Or did this mean you placed the file above that .php file on your server, not editing any kind of text?

Home.php confuses me because when I pull up the source code of your page (command+option+U) there is no mention of this .php file. Also when I check the activity (shows what files are loaded for your webpage command+option+A) there is only a single HTML file loaded.

So long story short from my end everything is somewhat masked by the way Wordpress's file system works (or are you hosted somewhere else?) and I cannot see this home.php file

It needs to be placed in your index HTML file(I am not familiar with wordpress's file system, on my site it would be Index.html, all I can see from here for your site is http://www.lifesweetened.com.html) after the line:
"<!-- Start Featured -->"

You will also need to determine which CSS style rules to use:

<div id="featured">

^^will be one I am almost certain. But it looks like you will have to play with it and see what works.

indubitably

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Forgot to mention, turn on the ability to "Inspect Element" in Safari:
Safari>Preferences>Advanced>check "show develop menu in menu bar" at the bottom

Now you can right-click anywhere on your webpage and select Inspect Element and it will show you where that area/element is in your coding and what CSS rules apply. Very helpful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.