PDA

View Full Version : MBA for huge music library ?

doremi
Aug 7, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hi guys , first time posting here. I am currently thinking about getting a 13 inch MBA with upgraded i7 processor. Mainly i will be using it for storing a lot of apple lossless music. i was wondering will it be good enough ? I don't want it to be lagging after storing too many files.

miles01110
Aug 7, 2011, 11:07 PM
Are you serious? If all you are using an i7 MBA for is storing and listening to music, that is overkill.

alust2013
Aug 7, 2011, 11:08 PM
That is definitely not the ideal computer for storing loads of music, especially lossless. It won't get laggy, but it will run out of space quickly as the most storage you can get is 256GB (which is actually less when formatted). I'd suggest the 13" MBP, and put in a bigger drive, since it sounds like you need a lot of space. As far as a computer being good enough, any computer made in the last 10 years could handle that, given enough storage space.

mac jones
Aug 7, 2011, 11:11 PM
Actually, the amount of data will have no effect at all if you leave enough for normal operation (a couple gig).

This is because it's a solid state drive so it doesn't get fragmented at all, so files don't get spread out, and there's no degradation of performance whatsoever.

note: I assume you just are asking about the lag and not the space limitations, which are obvious (and un-upgradable, other than an external drive, or SD card; I use SD cards myself)

Really, with the cool external USB (soon thunderbolt) drives, storage options are more numerous today, although it's always nice to have everything onboard.

ann713
Aug 7, 2011, 11:11 PM
Lagging won't be an issue whatsoever, you'd just have to provide more storage space.

kilonet
Aug 8, 2011, 02:58 AM
Air 11" or 13" are perfectly fine. Just buy fast and big external drive, preferlably thunderbolt.

maril1111
Aug 8, 2011, 03:07 AM
If you put all of your music onto an external HD and connect it via USB it would work otherwise with lossless audio you will quickly run out of space on the internal SSD, btw the i7 is an overkill for the task of encoding (music) even the weakest MBA would be fine for that.

Air 11" or 13" are perfectly fine. Just buy fast and big external drive, preferably thunderbolt.

Do these even exist yet? Last time I checked things were still in development.

kilonet
Aug 8, 2011, 03:25 AM
If you put all of your music onto an external HD and connect it via USB it would work otherwise with lossless audio you will quickly run out of space on the internal SSD, btw the i7 is an overkill for the task of encoding (music) even the weakest MBA would be fine for that.

Do these even exist yet? Last time I checked things were still in development.

Yes Pegasus Thunderbolt Raids are available from Apple Store. LaCies Little Big Drive (or what ever it is called) has been announced for summer 11.

misterneums
Aug 8, 2011, 03:55 AM
I almost feel like the OP is attempting to create a troll thread...