PDA

View Full Version : Backpack specifically designed for MBA thinness

wildonrio
Aug 8, 2011, 01:42 AM
Does anyone know of a backpack that is specifically designed for MBAs? Every laptop backpack that I find has a laptop pocket that is too big and my MBA flops around in there too much. Preferably I want someone that is very light and thin, basically just enough room for the computer, charger, and maybe one extra small pocket for keys/wallet/etc.

PaulWog
Aug 8, 2011, 01:44 AM
Does anyone know of a backpack that is specifically designed for MBAs? Every laptop backpack that I find has a laptop pocket that is too big and my MBA flops around in there too much. Preferably I want someone that is very light and thin, basically just enough room for the computer, charger, and maybe one extra small pocket for keys/wallet/etc.

Are you a male or a female? Just watch out for the type of backpack you look for. There are many female backpacks that you can find like this... but you'll be pulling off a more... feminine-male look.

I don't know of any backpacks that are designed to be *that* thin, specifically for something like the Macbook Air. But good luck. Hopefully there is such a thing .

I should ask though: Why not buy just a small backpack? It'll be all of maybe an eighth of a pound heavier than what you're describing.

alecgold
Aug 8, 2011, 02:45 AM
Must it be a backpack? A nice shoulder bag or satchel perhaps?

Tom Bihn has some of the nicest backpacks and satchels I've ever seen. I prefer leather myself, but if you want it light, very well made (in the USA) and well bought out designs, try him ontombihn.com (http://www.tombihn.com).
(no affil, just a happy user of his synapse backpack).

misterneums
Aug 8, 2011, 04:03 AM
Must it be a backpack? A nice shoulder bag or satchel perhaps?

Tom Bihn has some of the nicest backpacks and satchels I've ever seen. I prefer leather myself, but if you want it light, very well made (in the USA) and well bought out designs, try him ontombihn.com (http://www.tombihn.com).
(no affil, just a happy user of his synapse backpack).

I was just going to suggest the same. Also depends if you're using an 11" or a 13".

If you were looking for a Satchel type--I just picked up a Tom Bihn Ristretto for 13" Macbook/Macbook Air. I was a little hesitant at first to pick it up, because I thought, "Hey, if this same bag works for a computer that is twice as thick, my air is going to rattle around." I use the computer sleeve that Tom Bihn produces inside of it and it's non-moving then. But to be honest, it's not necessary. Also important to note: On the Ristretto, your computer never hits the ground. The compartment doesn't make it to the bottom of the bag.

FieldingMellish
Aug 8, 2011, 04:41 AM
Be.ez has a slim fashionable line similar to Tom Bihn for less than half the cost. Here's a few styles:

http://www.be-ez.com/bags/search/LA%20garde%20robe.html

http://www.be-ez.com/bags/search/LE%20vertigo.html

http://www.be-ez.com/le-reporter-air-11.html

To OP, here are a couple back packs that are small, but not flat. Clearly not large and bulky, though, like for instance how large a North Face Surge back pack is by comparison: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1207994

DisMyMac
Aug 8, 2011, 04:56 AM
I remember wearing cargo pants that would comfortably fit an iPad or maybe even the 11" Air. Too bad they didn't exist way back then!

Maybe I'll change careers to a jumpsuited profession... hmmm...

flatfoot
Aug 8, 2011, 06:09 AM
i remember wearing cargo pants that would comfortably fit an ipad or maybe even the 11" air. Too bad they didn't exist way back then!

Maybe i'll change careers to a jumpsuited profession... Hmmm...

lol :)

flynz4
Aug 8, 2011, 11:07 AM
There are at least two types of laptop pockets in backpacks

Sleeve with a padded insert at the bottom
Sling that prevents the laptop from getting close to the bottom. It is sort of like a "hammock" built into the bag.

Both can work fine for a "regular" laptop. However, I have found that the MBA is so thin, than if you use style #1, that the MBA can wedge itself around the foam insert and touch the bottom of the bag. This can be mitigated if you additionally put the laptop into a padded sleeve, but that just adds more bulk and extra steps.

The sling style always prevents the laptop from hitting bottom and works great with a MBA. This would be my first choice.

For me, this design of the bottom is more important than the "width" of the slot as my first purchase criteria.

/Jim

kwajkat
Aug 8, 2011, 11:13 AM
I just use my Scottevest for everything!

Meever
Aug 8, 2011, 03:14 PM
You might consider putting the air in a sleeve on top of a backpack. BAM! Double protection!

msarway
Aug 8, 2011, 03:57 PM
i use the bags from www.booqbags.com very nice and great quality

entatlrg
Aug 8, 2011, 04:05 PM
There are at least two types of laptop pockets in backpacks

Sleeve with a padded insert at the bottom
Sling that prevents the laptop from getting close to the bottom. It is sort of like a "hammock" built into the bag.

Both can work fine for a "regular" laptop. However, I have found that the MBA is so thin, than if you use style #1, that the MBA can wedge itself around the foam insert and touch the bottom of the bag. This can be mitigated if you additionally put the laptop into a padded sleeve, but that just adds more bulk and extra steps.

The sling style always prevents the laptop from hitting bottom and works great with a MBA. This would be my first choice.

For me, this design of the bottom is more important than the "width" of the slot as my first purchase criteria.

/Jim

What bag do you have?

flynz4
Aug 8, 2011, 05:22 PM
What bag do you have?

My wife has a Swiss Army bag that has the "sling" design. It's a bit adolescent looking... but it does a great job protecting the laptop. She only uses it for personal travel. These bags can be found in just about any office supply store (Staples, Office Depot, etc).

My bag is a Tumi business backpack. I do not like the design of the actual laptop sleeve. It is the "foam bottom insert" style, and the MBA is thin enough to slip beside the insert and hit the bottom. As such, I have to use a secondary sleeve (just an encase sleeve) to protect the MBA. The bag was fine when laptops used to be 1"+ in thickness... but the design is obsolete with thin/lite laptops like the MBA.

/Jim

sevenyears
Aug 8, 2011, 05:25 PM
I would recommend buying a protective sleeve and then putting it into a normal backpack. Double protection and great for when you dont actually need the backpack.

jsolares
Aug 8, 2011, 05:34 PM
You could also try the Alley or the Slim from STM both in S size for the 13" and there's an XS of the Slim for the 11"

eckthroi
Aug 8, 2011, 06:18 PM
You might consider putting the air in a sleeve on top of a backpack. BAM! Double protection!

YES!!! I have done just this. I was paranoid and also wanted lots of room. So I got the knomo leather sleeve for my 11"air and then got the Level 8 Atlas 17" Backpack. I keep my Air in the knomo and then insert the whole thing into the padded protection area. The thickness of this sleeve allows for a very nice fit inside of this larger area preventing it from "sliding around. The "Atlas" appears to have excellent protection on the MBA not to mention this backpack is designed to be able to carry ALOT of stuff without endangering the computer. I would say this is a great combo. I would definitely look into something like this if you are also paranoid about you Air being exposed to unneeded pressure while being transported in a backpack.

accessoriesguy
Aug 9, 2011, 03:25 PM
I bought this for my sister yesterday for her birthday, although it was for a 15in MBP this is the 13in version
Macbook Air Cover (http://www.cellularfactory.com/fulldet.jsp?d=50111&a=857)

Although my other sister bought her one of those Disney covers, she preferred it, because it fit in her back pack, and she can just pop the top and take it out without any trouble. It's also really soft to the touch. Since the macbook air is so thin, you can just put it in this, and then put this in to any backpack tab.

I'm only saying this because I have been eyeing products for the macbook air since I really want one :rolleyes:

Mojo1
Aug 9, 2011, 04:08 PM
... then this bag sounds like what you describe: http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/messenger-sling-bagg-crinkle-nylon/47360

An 11" with a minimal sleeve such as this from SF Bags http://www.sfbags.com/products/laptopsuedejacket/laptopsuedejacket.htm will fit in the main compartment. A slightly larger, minimally-padded sleeve will also fit.

The bag can be worn across the body (it's designed to ride over the right shoulder) or as a shoulder bag. It has no padding. It doesn't look like much online, but it looks better when there is some stuff in it.

I have used one for four European trips for day-tripping. The myriad pockets make organizing items easy. I even use it to carry a Nikon D200 with a lens attached when I want my camera out of sight. (I usually have the camera on my hip using the excellent R Strap: http://www.blackrapid.com/)

I travel light; if something doesn't cut the mustard it does not go with me. I can stuff this bag and put it inside a daypack. I carry-on the daypack and an Eagle Creek Convertible Bag.

The little bag works so well that my wife got one for herself.

wildonrio
Aug 14, 2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. There are some great suggestions, many I have considered. I'm wondering though if anyone knows of a backpack that was SPECIFICALLY designed for the MBA, not just fits it coincidentally (everything fits the MBA!). My big problem is that these backpacks' laptop pockets are too large and the MBA swims around in there too much. Yes, I could add a thick case to accommodate that, but I'd rather just have something designed for the MBA where it fits snugly without needing a case.

Has anything been released yet or do I just need to keep waiting?

c2c
Aug 15, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. There are some great suggestions, many I have considered. I'm wondering though if anyone knows of a backpack that was SPECIFICALLY designed for the MBA, not just fits it coincidentally (everything fits the MBA!). My big problem is that these backpacks' laptop pockets are too large and the MBA swims around in there too much. Yes, I could add a thick case to accommodate that, but I'd rather just have something designed for the MBA where it fits snugly without needing a case.

Has anything been released yet or do I just need to keep waiting?

It's surprising how hard it is to find exactly what you are asking for, or maybe not so surprising after reading this thread.

The only one I found so far is this one from Copper River Bags. I'm not sure how the MBA fits as I can't find a single picture of someone putting a MBA in the bag, but I bought one since I like the bag so much.

MacBook Air Slim Messenger (http://www.copperriverbags.com/13%20Macbook%20Air%20Brown.html)

Note that the pictures show a messenger bag and not a backpack, but if you click on the button on the bottom right, it'll show you how to convert it into a backpack... or just use the link below

Turn your bag into a backpack (http://www.copperriverbags.com/backpack%20instructions.html)

I'm getting an Air and I have an iPad 2, which this bag seem perfect for. Ordered a couple pouches to stick my cables in and we'll see if this is the perfect bag for me. The bag is all about your personal preference though, so the vintage leather look may not work for you.

meistervu
Aug 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
:)

entatlrg
Aug 15, 2011, 07:19 PM
It's surprising how hard it is to find exactly what you are asking for, or maybe not so surprising after reading this thread.

The only one I found so far is this one from Copper River Bags. I'm not sure how the MBA fits as I can't find a single picture of someone putting a MBA in the bag, but I bought one since I like the bag so much.

MacBook Air Slim Messenger (http://www.copperriverbags.com/13%20Macbook%20Air%20Brown.html)

Note that the pictures show a messenger bag and not a backpack, but if you click on the button on the bottom right, it'll show you how to convert it into a backpack... or just use the link below

Turn your bag into a backpack (http://www.copperriverbags.com/backpack%20instructions.html)

I'm getting an Air and I have an iPad 2, which this bag seem perfect for. Ordered a couple pouches to stick my cables in and we'll see if this is the perfect bag for me. The bag is all about your personal preference though, so the vintage leather look may not work for you.

Bag weighs a ton, leather is far too heavy for a bag, the hardware and snaps they use on the straps are typically used for dog leashes ...

c2c
Aug 15, 2011, 08:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Bag weighs a ton, leather is far too heavy for a bag, the hardware and snaps they use on the straps are typically used for dog leashes ...

And there's the personal preference. :) I should have mentioned it would not meet your light criteria.

While i would not put a ton on my back, or anyone else's, this bag will likely weigh in around 3lbs by itself. In bag weights, that would be heavy. Of course i probably carry over 10lbs right now with my current oversized backpack and nearly 6lb laptop. As a comparison, some nylon based messengers I looked at weigh just over 1lb, but i didn't find any that were "slim" and "designed for MBA" in "backpack" form.

johnadams2007
Aug 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
i use a g-form sleeve inside of my normal sized backpack. it protects against constant pressure as well as it does against sudden impact

mayassa
Aug 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
Booq for my air and tom bihn for my Ipad

c2c
Sep 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
My Messenger bag from Copper River Bags arrived so I weighed it. It's ~2 1/4 lbs without the strap and with the strap it's 2 1/2 lbs. Not as heavy as I thought it would be but you can feel the weight if you don't hold it by the handles. Fits MacBook Air and iPad just right and not much room for anything else though I have my adapters, power, pens, badge, headphone and cables in it.