PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MBA + iPhone 4 Personal Hotspot troubleshooting

Travisimo
Aug 8, 2011, 05:50 AM
I just got an 11" MBA and I have an iPhone 4 CDMA running iOS 5 Beta 5. I turned on Personal Hotspot and I am able to connect the Air to my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth tethering but not WIFI. When I try to connect via WIFI, the ID shows up on my Air and I type in my password to connect. The iPhone 4 shows the blue bar as if it has a Hotspot connection, but the Air gives me an error after a few seconds saying "Connection timed out". Then the blue bar disappears from my phone and the it doesn't successfully connect.

I've tried rebooting the phone and laptop, as well as resetting my network connection on the phone. Still no luck connecting via WIFI tethering, but Bluetooth works fine. I know I could just use Bluetooth, but I also use my phone for Bluetooth headset, so I'd prefer to use WIFI.

So here are my questions:

1) Anybody else on iOS 5 Beta 5 get WIFI tethering to work?
2) Is there anything special I need to do on the Air to get tethering to work?

I'm going to try to connect my iPad 2 to my iPhone 4 via WIFI when I get home from work. That will help me narrow it down to a problem with the Air or a problem with the iPhone 4's Hotspot. I know the last beta (Beta 4) disabled all Hotspot connections, so I was wondering if maybe they only enabled it via Bluetooth for Beta 5.

Thanks!