PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Pro - Assignment

Rower_CPU
Sep 29, 2002, 06:40 PM
As some of you know, I'm a grad student in Educational Technology. I have a multimedia class, and am working on an FCP3 project.

I have it mostly done, but a couple things are bugging me, so I thought I'd open this up to the video guys here on the site. It's primarily the text that's the problem...it's very aliased and I can't figure out why. It looks crappy and brings the whole production value down.

Here's a link to the file (MPEG4, ~13MB):
http://calnet.sdsu.edu/movies/edtec561-coney_island.mp4

Thanks!

748s
Sep 29, 2002, 07:55 PM
i'm on dialup so wont download your project. the titler in fcp isn't great. try creating the text with title 3D in the generators menu rather than the standard text tool. [you'll need to have installed boris calligraphy, which is on the fcp cd to have title 3D in the menu]. the 3D titles look better because they are vector based. use the largest font you can. use sans serif fonts.
you could create the text in photoshop. if you do, apply a 1 to 2 pixel vertical blur to it, keep your whites under 235 and blacks over 16, use a soft drop shadow.
boris graffiti is a good third party character generator. try and get that rather than use the fcp text. [borisfx.com]

Rower_CPU
Sep 29, 2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 748s
i'm on dialup so wont download your project. the titler in fcp isn't great. try creating the text with title 3D in the generators menu rather than the standard text tool. [you'll need to have installed boris calligraphy, which is on the fcp cd to have title 3D in the menu]. the 3D titles look better because they are vector based. use the largest font you can. use sans serif fonts.
you could create the text in photoshop. if you do, apply a 1 to 2 pixel vertical blur to it, keep your whites under 235 and blacks over 16, use a soft drop shadow.
boris graffiti is a good third party character generator. try and get that rather than use the fcp text. [borisfx.com]

Thanks for the suggestions. Thing is it's both the FCP titles and Boris FX titles that are doing it. Font is Tahoma (sans serif) and around 74 pts for the main title and 48 or so the rest.

I'll go back and adjust colors and see how that helps. Photoshop was going to be my last resort if nothing else worked.

teabgs
Sep 29, 2002, 10:43 PM
So, my 6500 keeps freezing when I try to play it....I'll check it out tomorrow at work on a G4...

I suggest maybe, photoshop it....it really will look better....or do you have After Effects?

Tis very good for titles...

Rower_CPU
Sep 29, 2002, 11:21 PM
I updated the movie...trying bold titles...not much better. It's only 300k/sec now teabgs, so you might want to try again (8MB).

I'm thinking Photoshop is going to be the way to go...

748s
Sep 30, 2002, 01:51 AM
have you viewed the project on a video monitor yet? or has it been watched only via computer monitor? i use boris graffiti for titles. it works well for me. are the titles rendered at the highest quality? [sorry if i'm going over ground you have covered].

later......
i downloaded your film. that's not normal for text.
created your titles over some dv[using the standard fcp text tool], then did mpeg4 compression.....still not as rough as yours. i'll have to think/read up about this.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 30, 2002, 09:00 AM
Overall, good job. Yeah, I'm thinking the titles could use a little ummph! And how is the final project going to be reviewed/played? The compression you're using is a little rough - but I'm assuming you have a better version (DV)

For the titles at the start you added imagery - why not do that for the others, maybe a still image, colorized for effect.

Good luck and let us know if any other versions become available.

D

Rower_CPU
Sep 30, 2002, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I'm going to try re-rendering on my work machine today (dual gig) and see how that goes. I'll double check settings too.

748s-
I've only viewed it on screen since that's the final output, this isn't going back out to tape. Everything was rendered at Hi-Res.

duke-
I like the suggestion on the intermediate titles...I think a still image would look nice.

I cranked up the compression so that it would be easier for people to download it to give me feedback. I'll probably go back to 500k video on the final.

teabgs
Sep 30, 2002, 12:33 PM
thanks to a snow iMac at work Ive now seen it....

a few things OTHER thenthe titling....I know you werent asking, but here goes:

Right before "Places" the woman is talking and the music in the Background has lyrics at the same time. It's confusing fr people, cause the lyrics mess with her speaking...just FYI.

Also, check your volume. Because the music was really loud at the beginning and then faded a bit when people were talking, which is fine...but then when it was just music again the music got really loud really quickly...I had to turn the volume almost all the way down. Try to keep volume around 0 Db....

As for the titles...have you tried photoshop yet? BUT bring them in as picts OR if theyre psd's MAKE SURE THEY ARE FLATTENED

Do you wanna do a easy/cool kinda title that FCP will do well?

IF you create your title and then set some keys (at the beginning and end of the text clip) For 1) the tracking. Start at one and end it at a high number. This will have each letter move farther and farther away.
2)Put on a Gasian Blur. This will blur the letters as they move apart.

And then you can fade it out so that the words seem to seperate and blur into blackness.....then onto the next clip. People always think that looks "cool"
:cool: :D

Rower_CPU
Sep 30, 2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
thanks to a snow iMac at work Ive now seen it....

a few things OTHER thenthe titling....I know you werent asking, but here goes:

Right before "Places" the woman is talking and the music in the Background has lyrics at the same time. It's confusing fr people, cause the lyrics mess with her speaking...just FYI.

Also, check your volume. Because the music was really loud at the beginning and then faded a bit when people were talking, which is fine...but then when it was just music again the music got really loud really quickly...I had to turn the volume almost all the way down. Try to keep volume around 0 Db....

As for the titles...have you tried photoshop yet? BUT bring them in as picts OR if theyre psd's MAKE SURE THEY ARE FLATTENED

Do you wanna do a easy/cool kinda title that FCP will do well?

IF you create your title and then set some keys (at the beginning and end of the text clip) For 1) the tracking. Start at one and end it at a high number. This will have each letter move farther and farther away.
2)Put on a Gasian Blur. This will blur the letters as they move apart.

And then you can fade it out so that the words seem to seperate and blur into blackness.....then onto the next clip. People always think that looks "cool"
:cool: :D

I'll doublecheck the audio, but it's -3db the whole time...but it is a loud track.

I originally had the music at "Places" coming in slower/later, but Jimbo said to move it up so I tried it.

I'm gonna be trying PS if the titles don't go better here on the work machine.

dotcomlarry
Sep 30, 2002, 01:35 PM
One thing i've noticed in my dealings with FCP is that on screen the text looks blurry, even when rendered, but when output to tape, looks good.

You may want to check the Sorensen 3 video compression... I've always had good luck with that. Your video has a lot of video artifacts (similar to extreme JPG compression).

Rower_CPU
Sep 30, 2002, 04:36 PM
*sigh*...Photoshop text is no better...

The opening title (Coney Island Memories) and the end graphic are imported PSDs.

The updated file is 24MB (1024K video to remove artifacts):

748s
Oct 1, 2002, 05:51 AM
don't know if you have tried the creative cow fcp forum......
http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=8
i have read about issues with text at that site. searched the posts for the possible cause but can't find anything specific. a lot of helpful fcp users use that forum. it would be worth posting your problem.

Rower_CPU
Oct 1, 2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

I hope this is one of those "forehead slappers", and not something inherent in the application...

Rower_CPU
Oct 2, 2002, 06:18 PM
Well, I think I found a solution. It seems there was a setting for compression w/in the sequence...I turned it to "None" and my text cleared up...only thing is that now I get dropped frames on playback. But I'm at least able to export a final product:

http://calnet.sdsu.edu/movies/edtec561-coney_island.mp4 (MPEG4, 13MB)

So what setting do you folks use for your sequences?

teabgs
Oct 3, 2002, 07:10 AM
yay!!! look much better RowDawg