Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logikism

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Boston, MA, USA
let me (29) say ive been using windows since 3.1 (9)
i went to mac a year ago and havent even turned on my pc since!
i good with the computer hardware and software.
just to give an idea of what i may know

Heres whats happened..

fresh install of lion from a disk not on top of leopard
normal use...itunes, firefox, ilife '11

1. my battery options reset back to default
(i had set it to show the time left)

2. i turn on my macbook pro 13 mid 2009 on after work today and the finder has no sidebar!

Pretty much what im asking is how do i get my sidebar & and the top one with the view buttons & search back in the finder window?

poolish

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
south coast, uk
To get the Toolbar back, go to View > Show Toolbar, and if the sidebar doesnt come back at the same time, choose View > Show Sidebar.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Your side bar is missing? My whole screen was black for days until I finally hit the C with a - through it. What kind of ridiculous hoops does apple expect me to jump through just to use their new OS.. I'm going back to SL

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
let me (29) say ive been using windows since 3.1 (9)
i went to mac a year ago and havent even turned on my pc since!
i good with the computer hardware and software.
just to give an idea of what i may know

Heres whats happened..

fresh install of lion from a disk not on top of leopard
normal use...itunes, firefox, ilife '11

1. my battery options reset back to default
(i had set it to show the time left)

2. i turn on my macbook pro 13 mid 2009 on after work today and the finder has no sidebar!

Pretty much what im asking is how do i get my sidebar & and the top one with the view buttons & search back in the finder window?

Browse through the Internet. There are already a number of helpful hints out there that restore useful features not activated in Lion by default. It's pretty obvious is Lion is intended for dumbed-down tablet, almost table-sized MBA and new user easy notebook use.

Fortunately much of Snow Leopard's features for adult users working on full-sized monitors can be restored. My MBP installation of Lion feels pretty good with the following changes;

The user library is now visible. Lunchpad and Mission Control disappeared from the Dock. The Finder sidebar has been restored as much as is currently possible.

Additionally I no longer gag when using iCal and Address Book because they've been reskinned in aluminum. I've disabled many of the animations such as when new windows are opened. Mail has been set to the classic layout so it looks like Mail on a laptop rather than on a tablet.

The results are I have Lion installation with FileVault 2 protection, windows that can be resized from any side or corner (Like Windows!) and most Snow Leopard features operational. I do however miss Spaces.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Your side bar is missing? My whole screen was black for days until I finally hit the C with a - through it. What kind of ridiculous hoops does apple expect me to jump through just to use their new OS.. I'm going back to SL

I have no idea what that means, actually, but I think your experience is the exception rather than the rule.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I wish my Lion system was on drugs: it could use some amphetamine to make it faster...and maybe some LSD to make it less authoritarian and some antibiotics to get rid of the bugs. ;)

tfalves

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
I have no idea what that means, actually, but I think your experience is the exception rather than the rule.

He's just being sarcastic! Look at the icon of the power button... a C with a - through it... clever ;)

He meant he had to turn the computer on to get rid of the black screen... well duh?! :)

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

Haha, nice one :)
power_button-732834.jpg

AdvoSteven

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
To get the Toolbar back, go to View > Show Toolbar, and if the sidebar doesnt come back at the same time, choose View > Show Sidebar.

Forgive the simpleness of my question as I am brand new to Mac but I followed these instructions and still no Sidebar. I don't have a Show Sidebar tab under view and the Toolbar function did not restore it. Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Forgive the simpleness of my question as I am brand new to Mac but I followed these instructions and still no Sidebar. I don't have a Show Sidebar tab under view and the Toolbar function did not restore it. Any help would be appreciated.

Open any window on Finder, check if it doesn't have a sidebar and then go to View>Show Sidebar...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.