Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Could you go back to Snow Leopard?

• Yes, and I'd love to!

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Yes, and I'd manage quite well.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Yes, but Lion is much better. I'd notice a difference.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • No, Lion is amazing!

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • No, only because of that damned 'natural' scrolling.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • There's a Snow Leopard now?!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have a MBP running Lion and an iMac (I'm not the admin) running SL. I'm finding it really hard switching between the two... The obvious thing is the scrolling. In SL, I keep having small panics where I think 'Oh no, the mouse isn't working?!', and then realise I'm scrolling the wrong way :eek:

Other things have proved to be more useful than I thought - I keep doing the three finger up gesture to show Mission Control, but of course it's not there!

The last thing I found was that SL looked so... dated. All the aqua and rounded buttons looked like they came out of, err, 2009!

So, could you go back?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
You can switch scrolling in the trackpad settings to be the "old way." I have my new Air set this way until I get around to updating my others so I don't drive myself insane.

MuddyDucky

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
In your backyard
How about dual booting Lion and Snow Leopard? I like Lion, but I don't think it's stable enough, so I use Snow Leopard most of the time. I wouldn't spend 20$ for nothing.. haha, I'm not rich, so I'd like to save as much as I can.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I used BetterTouchTool to set all my gestures back to better ones/the way I like them, and disabled natural scrolling.

Natural Scrolling: I could get used to it going up and down (I don't want to, but I could get used to it), but inverting the left/right is stupid. I'm not swiping right to go Back in Safari, for instance.

That said, I could definitely manage on Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard was great. I do like the new scroll bars, but I miss some things about SL. For example, my login items would start up near instantly on SL. It takes about 1-2 minutes on Lion.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
I have a MBP running Lion and an iMac (I'm not the admin) running SL. I'm finding it really hard switching between the two... The obvious thing is the scrolling. In SL, I keep having small panics where I think 'Oh no, the mouse isn't working?!', and then realise I'm scrolling the wrong way :eek:

Other things have proved to be more useful than I thought - I keep doing the three finger up gesture to show Mission Control, but of course it's not there!

The last thing I found was that SL looked so... dated. All the aqua and rounded buttons looked like they came out of, err, 2009!

So, could you go back?
I have Lion installed on just one machine of several. While I can get used to the 'iOS' scrolling, I just don't see the need to. I don't have a problem with the way scrolling worked in all previous versions of OS X.

Don't use the gestures much - hardly at all really, so this is no big improvement.

I totally disagree on the 'look' of SL vs. Lion. In fact, I was using the Lion machine today, and I just can't get over how 'square' everything looks, which reminded me of Windows 95 or 3.1 where everything was very 'square' because screen resolutions were so horrible back then that you could not display rounded objects well at all. So for me, the look is a bit of a regression.

I am also baffled at why they changed the sidebar in Finder so much. I mean, it's all black & white now. What's that all about?? The colors and icons help me quickly select what I want on the sidebar. Also, using a gray tone rather than black lettering only makes it MORE difficult to see what the text is.

The only real improvement I can see at this point is the improved security, the rest is just window dressing. This is almost unworthy of being called a 'major' update since there really aren't any truly 'NEW' features. Leopard brought Time Machine and Stacks, SL brought Spaces. These were truly NEW features that had not existed in OS X before. But changing the way you scroll??? Give me a break! This update is all about Apple getting iOS users to switch from PCs to Macs.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I could go back to Panther without a second thought. If security updates and modern web browsers existed for it, I wouldn't miss much of anything from the current OS. Its flashier, but not really any more practical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.