Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheLOGICalone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Jersey
I came home one day to find my 6 core Mac pro turned off (I left it on) but there was a weird red light glaring thru the cheese grater coming from the logic board?, and the gpu fan and CPU fan were both on full blast. To make a long story short, tech support said take it to apple store, genius said my CPU died and it will be fixed in 7 days...7 days later I call and they say that they are just going to replace my entire computer... Is it me or is this strange?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I came home one day to find my 6 core Mac pro turned off (I left it on) but there was a weird red light glaring thru the cheese grater coming from the logic board?, and the gpu fan and CPU fan were both on full blast. To make a long story short, tech support said take it to apple store, genius said my CPU died and it will be fixed in 7 days...7 days later I call and they say that they are just going to replace my entire computer... Is it me or is this strange?

sometimes that happens. this is why pulling ram if you had a lot of it is a good idea.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Could be a few reasons:
- Found more things wrong with it, could be cheaper from their end to just give you a new unit (even at bulk, those Xeons aren't cheap).
- Simple customer satisfaction, who hates getting a new computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.