PDA

View Full Version : Full charge capacity on new 2011 13-inch MBA

Hollandar
Aug 8, 2011, 09:52 PM
Just joined and this is my first post. I did a quick search regarding my question and didn't find anything; I apologize ahead of time if this has already been asked by someone else.

I was wondering if anyone has been concerned about the full charge capacity on his/her new MBA. I have the new 2011 13-inch 128GB MBA, which from what I've read should have a full charge capacity of 6700mAh when brand new. However, when I check under System Information > Hardware> Power, my full charge capacity is already only 6151mAh (~91% of 6700mAh) after only 10 cycles. Obviously I'm concerned that I got a lemon. =(

I contacted Apple and I spoke to two separate people during the same call and both didn't really know too much. They asked me to send them a System Report which they will have someone more qualified look at. I've asked around and my friend has over 99% after 3 cycles. I know that the Apple warranty doesn't cover batteries (and I unfortunately received my MBA 17 days ago), but does anyone know what I can expect when Apple finally gets back to me? Any chance of an exchange? Can other new 13-inch MBA owners share their stats?

Thanks in advance...

aeboi
Aug 8, 2011, 09:56 PM
batteries are covered if they are defective, if it were to be defective, they'd replace the battery but 91% isn't necessarily worrying. Is the battery calibrated?

GGJstudios
Aug 8, 2011, 09:57 PM
Just joined and this is my first post. I did a quick search regarding my question and didn't find anything; I apologize ahead of time if this has already been asked by someone else.
If you search the forum for any thread containing the word "battery", you would have likely found the answer to your question posted a few hundred times. It is perfectly normal for your battery health to fluctuate up and down over time. There is nothing wrong with your Mac. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

Hollandar
Aug 8, 2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I thought that might have been the problem so I did a full discharge, leaving it unplugged for a few hours after before fully recharging again, but the stats are still the same. I'm also pretty sure that the first time I noticed something wrong it was at 93%, so it's been dropping too. I'll keep a close eye on it I guess and keep on asking Apple nicely. I figure if I start a complaint early then at least I have something to back me if this continues to get worse...

hefeglass
Aug 9, 2011, 12:34 PM
i had the same exact thing with mine..

now I am at 7 cycles and 99 percent

make sure to discharge till it completely shuts down on you, then let it sit for 5 hours or so..
then you can charge it up.

i did this a couple time and it fixed the 94-96% reading

ZipZap
Aug 9, 2011, 01:59 PM
Why the heck should you have to do this on a brand new Mac?

jeffgao
Aug 9, 2011, 04:40 PM
Apple's HT1490 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) clearly says that you do not need battery calibration:

Portables with built-in batteries

Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article.