Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j15big

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Im trying to host a website on Lion Server. I enabled web hosting in server.app, but for whatever reason the location of the site defaulted to /var/empty and I cannot change it when I click edit. When I try to visit the web site I get a Forbidden error. I tried to create a new site entry with the same host name but it doesn't work.

Im a noob if you can't tell, any help is appreciated.
Thanks

edit: grammar

Attachments

• webserver.jpg
    webserver.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
This is a common issue, it appears to be a bug in Lion Server... one of many.

There are some settings that can be edited in the apache2 directory. I don't have time to walk you through it right now but if you Google "/var/empty/ lion server" that might point you in the right direction. Someone else here may be able to go into more detail with you as well.

j15big

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
This is a common issue, it appears to be a bug in Lion Server... one of many.

There are some settings that can be edited in the apache2 directory. I don't have time to walk you through it right now but if you Google "/var/empty/ lion server" that might point you in the right direction. Someone else here may be able to go into more detail with you as well.

Ive tried this:

issue a "sudo su",
type your password
then run the command

echo NameVirtualHost\ \*:80 > /etc/apache2/sites/00000_MoreTestingRequired.conf

or if you have SSL enabled run

echo NameVirtualHost\ \*:443 > /etc/apache2/sites/00000_MoreTestingRequired.conf

didn't seem to work unless i did it wrong. is this what you are referring to?

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
No, thats not the fix for your issue. You need to edit one of the files and change the document root. I'll see if i can find it later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.