Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Does anyone know where I can download descent quality stock/royalty free medical and science photos? All the ones I've found are small, low quality and covered in watermarks.

It's really starting to p**s me off, I don't really want to pay exorbitant amounts for using an image in one essay, once.

AppleMatt

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I see what you mean. I checked what was a very simple picture, the bottom size was $69.. I hope that you will be successful AppleMatt. What is the subject of your paper? Medicine is of interest to me personally.

Here is a site that might have access to free pictures.

http://www.mic.ki.se/MEDIMAGES.html

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Have you tried Google Images?

x%20ray%20spine%204.JPG

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
wdlove said:
Here is a site that might have access to free pictures.

http://www.mic.ki.se/MEDIMAGES.html

Thanks for the link, it's been bookmarked ;) There are a few pictures of developing embryos in there, I can't use them within the paper itself but for the cover sheet one could come in handy.

wdlove said:
I see what you mean. I checked what was a very simple picture, the bottom size was $69.. I hope that you will be successful AppleMatt. What is the subject of your paper? Medicine is of interest to me personally.

The paper focuses on various ethically sound 'solutions' to obtaining embryonic stem cells (methods that don't involve destruction of the embryo). What I require is an image of a 'blown open' embryo. The best/cheapest one so far (attached) unfortunately has the Wellcome Trusts logo watermarked across it unless I pay.

[rant]I object to being backed into paying ridiculous prices* for the most basic of photos (as you pointed out) - I can take a picture of my own stethoscope thanks. Also the fact that science is 'public', this is especially true for academic use, I can read, reference and quote away from thousands of freely available papers that have hundreds of hours poured into them. If it wasn't 'public' pretty much every university would shut down in a day due to patent licensing fees. So why is a picture so different.

edit: Bear in mind as-well, the majority of researchers donate these images. It isn't the scientists who are making the money, it's the people they gave their images to.[/rant]

Lacero said:

That's where I found a smaller version of the above on a news site, and a couple of others.

AppleMatt

Attachments

• open.jpg
    open.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 77

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Lacero said:
Check the fine print at Google Images, e.g., "Image may be subject to copyright." Finding a source of images for which copyrights are often unknown does not solve the problem of finding legal royalty-free images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.