PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to have Snow Lep on NEW Mac Air?

Aug 8, 2011, 11:09 PM
Im so bummed! I want the newest MBAir 13" with everything, but I need SL for a critical school test-tsking software.

Any way to get SL to work? What a bummer!

miles01110
Aug 8, 2011, 11:10 PM
Not reliably. You're going to have to find another way to take your test.

Intell
Aug 8, 2011, 11:11 PM
Snow Leopard does not work on the 2011 Air's. It refuses to install and if its forced onto the disc, it kernel panics upon boot.

KPOM
Aug 8, 2011, 11:29 PM
I just picked up a copy of Snow Leopard Server from an online auction and will see if I can install it on my new Air using Parallels Desktop. Parallels offers a VM for Snow Leopard Server, though not for the basic client version of Snow Leopard itself, so I'm optimistic. I have the free space on my SSD, so this might be a decent way of keeping some PowerPC software around.

alecgold
Aug 9, 2011, 12:31 AM
I just picked up a copy of Snow Leopard Server from an online auction and will see if I can install it on my new Air using Parallels Desktop. Parallels offers a VM for Snow Leopard Server, though not for the basic client version of Snow Leopard itself, so I'm optimistic. I have the free space on my SSD, so this might be a decent way of keeping some PowerPC software around.

That is an idea indeed!

R.OG
Aug 14, 2011, 10:49 PM
Has anyone got this working correctly? After some kext manipulation i have snow leopard running but without graphics accelleration.

ZBoater
Aug 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
Am i the only one who finds it ironic Windows 7 runs like a champ on the new MBA buy SL doesn't? :confused:

Intell
Aug 14, 2011, 11:50 PM
Am i the only one who finds it ironic Windows 7 runs like a champ on the new MBA buy SL doesn't? :confused:

It isn't much different than trying to get Windows XP running on a 2010 or 2011 Dell box. Somethings just aren't meant' to be.

ZBoater
Aug 15, 2011, 12:13 AM
It isn't much different than trying to get Windows XP running on a 2010 or 2011 Dell box. Somethings just aren't meant' to be.

Lion just came out. Its not like SL is 7 years old. Seems odd, but that is the downside of only having one source for the hardware and the OS...

Veinticinco
Aug 15, 2011, 06:08 AM
Lion just came out. Its not like SL is 7 years old. Seems odd, but that is the downside of only having one source for the hardware and the OS...
Couldn't agree more!

Mothballing Snow Leopard is one thing but actually disabling it from being retrofit into the new 'Lion'-preinstalled MBA should the user so choose, is a short-sighted and stupid decision.

As is not supplying a physical restore copy of the OS (without paying $69), but that's another argument.

----------

Has anyone got this working correctly? After some kext manipulation i have snow leopard running but without graphics accelleration.
Even with kext shenanigans, I don't think there's a way to get audio?

maflynn
Aug 15, 2011, 06:10 AM
Couldn't agree more!

Mothballing Snow Leopard is one thing but actually disabling it from being retrofit into the new 'Lion'-preinstalled MBA should the user so choose, is a short-sighted and stupid decision.

As long as I can remember apple has always prevented macs from running older OSs then what was delivered. So in this case SL won't run.

I can see why, Lion is the future, SL is now obsolete and it lacks the drivers/kexts needed for the new MBA (Which they'll not provide)

Padraig
Aug 15, 2011, 06:17 AM
Lion is the only thing keeping from purchasing a second MBA at the moment.

RobQuads
Aug 15, 2011, 06:27 AM

But I best Vista would install on it. Your talking about a 1/2 year old product with SL not a 11 year old product like XP

vitzr
Aug 15, 2011, 06:40 AM

I've got Windows XP PRO running fast & fully optimized on a 2011 X220 ThinkPad.

Boots to the desktop in 12 seconds.

It was easy & didn't require anything out of the ordinary.

KPOM
Aug 15, 2011, 07:08 AM
That is an idea indeed!

I can confirm that Snow Leopard Server installs in a Parallels Desktop virtual machine on my 2011 MacBook Air.

FSMBP
Aug 15, 2011, 07:17 AM
I can confirm that Snow Leopard Server installs in a Parallels Desktop virtual machine on my 2011 MacBook Air.

Good news!! How does it run?

Also, to the OP, if you go to the Mac Mini forums - they successfully got the 2011 Minis (that shipped with Lion) to run Snow Leopard. This worked because the Mini shares the same hardware as the early 2011 MacBook Pros (those work with 10.6.8); therefore, 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) has the drivers. But, since the 2011 Airs have a special Thunderbolt port, 10.6.8 would not have the driver for it.

KPOM
Aug 15, 2011, 08:03 AM

Also, to the OP, if you go to the Mac Mini forums - they successfully got the 2011 Minis (that shipped with Lion) to run Snow Leopard. This worked because the Mini shares the same hardware as the early 2011 MacBook Pros (those work with 10.6.8); therefore, 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) has the drivers. But, since the 2011 Airs have a special Thunderbolt port, 10.6.8 would not have the driver for it.

It seems to run fine. I gave it 1.75GB of RAM, 128MB of video RAM, and 2 CPUs (the same as my Windows 7 VM). It installed in less than half an hour and takes up about 11GB in its base configuration. I haven't installed any other applications on it but have some old scanner software that is PowerPC that I'll try this week when I get the chance.

trims
Aug 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
Lion is the only thing keeping from purchasing a second MBA at the moment.

MBA should arrive tomorrow. Plan a gradual induction: play with MBA + Lion -> wait for Lion bug fix -> wait for MS Office for Mac 11 upgrade -> migrate stuff from XP. I'm a patient kinda guy.

Macintox
Aug 18, 2011, 05:41 AM
Hackintosh says that installing multibeast 2.0 it can be done... if any one of you tries it , please let us know...we are many thousands who would love to go back to SL on these machines.

scenemissing
Aug 18, 2011, 09:01 AM

I got a 2011 13" Air to boot off of an external USB drive with 10.6.8 - however the following were not working:

Internal Video after the initial Apple logo (had to use an external monitor)
Keyboard backlight was at 100% and couldn't be adjusted
Closing the lid to sleep did not work.

But it did boot, after clearing out all of the caches on the external 10.6.8 clone. That leads me to believe it is doable if we can get some extra kexts.

Macintox
Aug 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
I got a 2011 13" Air to boot off of an external USB drive with 10.6.8 - however the following were not working:

Internal Video after the initial Apple logo (had to use an external monitor)
Keyboard backlight was at 100% and couldn't be adjusted
Closing the lid to sleep did not work.

But it did boot, after clearing out all of the caches on the external 10.6.8 clone. That leads me to believe it is doable if we can get some extra kexts.

GREAT ! may be you could try this multibeast 2.0 ..

KptIglo
Aug 30, 2011, 07:13 PM
plzzzzzz let us try this option (the only real one :)):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13271403&postcount=17

jdechko
Aug 31, 2011, 01:01 AM
To the OP, a virtualized snow leopard probably won't do you a whole lot of good for test taking software. I'm assuming it's law school that requires specific test-taking software?

Anyway, there's a high probability that the software will refuse to run in a VM as I've read that it basically locks the system out to prevent cheating, and since it could lock the guest OS but not the host OS, the software would just refuse to run. If it did run, however, there is always the possibility of being accused of academic misconduct.

If it's at all possible, you could install Windows via bootcamp, which is an acceptable alternative for some schools. I only know this because my sister-in-law just started law school, and her school allows native Windows on a Mac system.

tyronehowe
Aug 31, 2011, 01:00 PM
As is not supplying a physical restore copy of the OS (without paying $69), but that's another argument.[COLOR="#808080"]

Hi

Do you know if you can install Lion from the Apple Lion USB flash drive?

I tried but it wouldn’t let me. The ONLY way I could re-install Lion on my 2011 MBA was via the Internet, which is very unsatisfying.

I think the Apple Lion USB drive can only be used to upgrade Leopard/Snow Leopard machines.

… but please tell if I’m wrong!:D

jdechko
Aug 31, 2011, 01:43 PM
Hi

Do you know if you can install Lion from the Apple Lion USB flash drive?

I tried but it wouldn’t let me. The ONLY way I could re-install Lion on my 2011 MBA was via the Internet, which is very unsatisfying.

I think the Apple Lion USB drive can only be used to upgrade Leopard/Snow Leopard machines.

… but please tell if I’m wrong!:D

No. The 10.7 build for the Air is a custom build (mainly for driver compatibility). This happens every time that Apple releases a new machine. Most people expected that 10.7.1 would work, but it hasn't yet. Maybe 10.7.2 will be the unifying release of Lion, one that is able to be installed on any computer.

fyrefly
Aug 31, 2011, 03:25 PM
Couldn't agree more!

It's not so much that Apple *disabled* Lion from installing on the 2011 Machines, it's just that the 2011 machines have new hardware in them (different Thunderbolt Chip, Different Bluetooth chip among others) that has no support in Snow Leopard, 'cause there were never SL-capable machines that had that hardware.

Of course Apple could release a SL-patch (10.6.9 anyone) to include support for the BT 4.0 and smaller thunderbolt chip, but why waste precious resources on supporting newly-Obsolete Software on new machines?

mickier
Sep 4, 2011, 12:54 AM
Of course Apple could release a SL-patch (10.6.9 anyone) to include support for the BT 4.0 and smaller thunderbolt chip, but why waste precious resources on supporting newly-Obsolete Software on new machines?

The best reason for them TO release the driver(s) is that LION boots and runs software SLOWER and more clumsily than the 2010 MBA running SL... I have both the 2010 and 2011 and I just hate the feeling of sluggishness on the 2011 MBA which really has significantly higher specs...

I hate to say it, but in some ways, it makes me remember the release of Vista..
[oh NO - did I actually say that? I apologize!!]

I only hope that a future update will help LION to pick up some speed...

ZBoater
Sep 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
I only hope that a future update will help LION to pick up some speed...

Wow. I guess I'm in luck never having used SL. I think Lion is crazy fast on everything it does. I guess speed perception is relative.

jameslmoser
Sep 25, 2011, 09:15 PM
As long as I can remember apple has always prevented macs from running older OSs then what was delivered. So in this case SL won't run.

I can see why, Lion is the future, SL is now obsolete and it lacks the drivers/kexts needed for the new MBA (Which they'll not provide)

Snow Leopard is far from obsolete... and until Lion is stable (or fixed, which isn't going to happen), Snow Leopard should be an option for any mac user, especially ones that just spent the money on a new mac.

KPOM
Sep 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
Snow Leopard is far from obsolete... and until Lion is stable (or fixed, which isn't going to happen), Snow Leopard should be an option for any mac user, especially ones that just spent the money on a new mac.

That isn't Apple's way. They are unlikely to change now. The rumor is that they specifically delayed the release of the 2011 MacBook Air until after Lion was released because they didn't want it going out with Snow Leopard. Apple tries to avoid the "XP Syndrome" that plagued Microsoft (they are still trying to kill off XP 2 years after Windows 7 was released).

Anyway, some more fixes will be out soon. 10.7.2 is necessary to run iCloud, and Apple has thrown in some bug fixes, too. By and large, Lion isn't broken. There are some changes to the UI, but they are intentional. There are some bugs, but there also were with Snow Leopard and Leopard upon initial release.

Gregintosh
Sep 25, 2011, 09:49 PM
Lion is the future, its best to get on board and get used to it. It isn't Apple's way to support legacy OS's for decades like Microsoft because there's too much dead weight.

That's what helps Apple make clean and efficient systems (for example, dropping Rosetta code to keep things small and clean), where as Microsoft is bloatware full of code dating back to the 1980s (Windows 3.1 programs can still run on Windows if needed).

All future iterations of OS X will build on Lion, and that includes things like Mission Control, Launchpad, etc. It will never go backwards so sooner or later you are going to have to switch. Might as well jump on board now and start enjoying the new features (and they are enjoyable once you get a hang of things).

As far as bug fixes, waiting a couple more months for a few more updates will help resolve some of those, but no system is perfect.

I see 0 difference between Lion and Snow Leopard in terms of speed. But then again I also don't have Apple OCD. I think people who say its slower are either experiencing OCD, have really old hardware where minor differences are really amplified, or maybe they have a messy installation after an upgrade (versus a clean install).

But on new machines (2009 or later for sure) it runs exactly the same.

monkeybagel
Oct 31, 2011, 01:40 AM

If you don't mind - how did you get local video working? All I have is the external display and have not gotten as far as you. I haven't tried external acceleration, but will.