PDA

View Full Version : Why do you have a signature?

spaceboots06
Aug 9, 2011, 12:47 AM
Why do you have a signature?

For individuals with a list of snazzy electronics, do you think it reinforces the credibility of your posts or instills some sort of authority? Or is it done purely to brag?

Intell
Aug 9, 2011, 12:51 AM
I use mine to confuse people and to edit my posts with stealth.

costabunny
Aug 9, 2011, 12:56 AM
for many its purely an extension of their trousery-parts when they cannot afford a black Porsche......

.....for some it's a way to indicate their attitude to life in general......

....for the rest its a way to state 'I'm a bit odd: maintain a safe distance'.......

;)

quizzi
Aug 9, 2011, 01:06 AM
For me it's part of being a forum member I guess. I really don't need it but I still have it there just to be like everyone else.

boss.king
Aug 9, 2011, 01:07 AM
I think it's
a) to boast
b) for posts like "help, I can't find how to jailbreak my iPhone" at which point people could look to my sig and see what phone I use as I forgot to mention it in the post.
c) likely that new people do it because it is the norm here. That's why I did it.

EDIT: I usually put a line from a song I like too, just cos I can.

dukebound85
Aug 9, 2011, 01:09 AM
To brainwash all of yall

saving107
Aug 9, 2011, 03:00 AM
I try to keep my signatures funny, so generally a quote or something thats crossed my mind, I'm not to keen on listing what gadgets I own.

Though today I changed it and couldn't make up my mind what I wanted it to be, so for now I linked my Tumblr and Twitter accounts. It shall change soon again.

Awesomeness.

fun173
Aug 9, 2011, 03:10 AM
I use mine to promote my applications :D

andalusia
Aug 9, 2011, 03:34 AM
To promote the MacRumors IRC, and my flickr page (which has been very neglected recently :\)

Heilage
Aug 9, 2011, 03:38 AM
Shameless self-promotion and making the appearance of being profound and smart. :)

Alaerian
Aug 9, 2011, 04:44 AM
Confusion.

siurpeeman
Aug 9, 2011, 04:47 AM
i <3 joss whedon.

JetBlack7
Aug 9, 2011, 05:19 AM

For individuals with a list of snazzy electronics, do you think it reinforces the credibility of your posts or instills some sort of authority? Or is it done purely to brag?

Some people like to use a signature to show how they are with life, show what they like or how they face certain aspects in their life. Doesn't mean they have to brag or have something to brag.

Seems you don't know what a signature is, maybe that's why you do not have one.

I just overdosed on awesomeness.

iJohnHenry
Aug 9, 2011, 05:53 AM
Random thoughts, quotes, that I like. Changes frequently, like my avatar.

maflynn
Aug 9, 2011, 06:00 AM
I like posting what computers I have

r.j.s
Aug 9, 2011, 06:03 AM
Becuase I am awesome, and everyone must know this.

xUKHCx
Aug 9, 2011, 06:10 AM
Soemtimes it is actually useful to know what computers people have when trying to troubleshoot issues.

I have a signature to promote Um Bongo.

Dagless
Aug 9, 2011, 06:24 AM
Because Rick is cool.

ChristianJapan
Aug 9, 2011, 06:30 AM
Posing ... Why else ... ? Don't have yet any app in AppStore to promote.

stridemat
Aug 9, 2011, 06:41 AM
Soemtimes it is actually useful to know what computers people have when trying to troubleshoot issues.

Epic!

I have one to add content to my worthless posts.

fireshot91
Aug 9, 2011, 07:04 AM
I...have a signature?! :eek:

maflynn
Aug 9, 2011, 07:07 AM
I...have a signature?! :eek:

Yeah, its hidden to you, but we all see it.

fireshot91
Aug 9, 2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah, its hidden to you, but we all see it.

What does it look like? :p

Firestar
Aug 9, 2011, 07:54 AM
Yours is definitely my favorite.
What does it look like? :p
You'll never know.

I just keep mine because Barney is awesome. :p

robbieduncan
Aug 9, 2011, 07:57 AM
Spamvertising my iOS apps. The paid for one basically pays for my developer subscription each year :)

AdrianK
Aug 9, 2011, 08:11 AM
To tell everyone that I have a MacBook Pro (http://www.27bslash6.com/jason.html), of course.

Ricky008
Aug 9, 2011, 08:18 AM
Becuase I am awesome, and everyone must know this.
ha ha me 2:D:D

Change is inevitable... except from (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_change.html)vending machines (http://www.vendingworld.com)

samiwas
Aug 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ahhh, Barney.
I love that quote. :D

Firestar
Aug 9, 2011, 02:34 PM
Ahhh, Barney.
I love that quote. :D
That's mine! :eek:

MovieCutter
Aug 9, 2011, 02:48 PM
I put mine in merely to mess with people who like to mess with me and question whether I know what I'm talking about. All it is when it comes to posting your gear in your signature is a c*** measuring contest, figured if you can't beat em...join em.

OutThere
Aug 9, 2011, 03:01 PM
No particular reason, I like the quote.

mscriv
Aug 9, 2011, 03:09 PM
To establish the parameters of our relationship.

JetBlack7
Aug 9, 2011, 03:09 PM

You have Um Bongo in your country? Wow...

spaceboots06
Aug 9, 2011, 05:39 PM
Some people like to use a signature to show how they are with life, show what they like or how they face certain aspects in their life. Doesn't mean they have to brag or have something to brag.

Seems you don't know what a signature is, maybe that's why you do not have one.

I just overdosed on awesomeness.

There's a difference between knowing what a signature is and having one. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you're not one of the 1 billion people who don't have clean drinking water, but you know that there are 1 billion people worldwide without clean drinking water... :confused:

Krafty
Aug 9, 2011, 05:41 PM
Matchmaking and a sad attempt at networking.

-tWv-
Aug 9, 2011, 05:52 PM
I have it there just to give some reference if I forget to put my hardware specs in the post. I want to put something more creative in there but that's too much work :rolleyes:

Melrose
Aug 9, 2011, 07:19 PM
If you can decipher it it goes to my personal blog. Which I rarely update.

WillEH
Aug 9, 2011, 07:22 PM
To warn people, if they open their mouth they should expect someone to respond back to them. Without them getting upset, and thinking they're untouchable.

Then to a interesting community project. But everyone think's it's a keylogger for MAC, so it won't work... (which it's not) ;)

Tilpots
Aug 9, 2011, 07:29 PM
I found truth on a fortune cookie innard.

Rodimus Prime
Aug 9, 2011, 07:31 PM
random saying and to provide a link to a good web comic.

Nermal
Aug 9, 2011, 07:34 PM

But it can also make it difficult to troubleshoot your own issues. The other day I searched on Google for "dvd player crash 10.6.8" and it returned a thread from 2004 where someone had "MacBook Pro OS 10.6.8" in their signature...

Vudoo
Aug 9, 2011, 07:59 PM
I don't have a signature on here or any other forum that I am a member of. I just don't have a need for one.

I can list my Apple products on here, my watches on the watch forum, my car in the car forum and etcetera, but I don't see the point. Not to mention it's annoying if you're searching for something and keep running across hits in people's signatures.

iJohnHenry
Aug 9, 2011, 08:05 PM
I found truth on a fortune cookie innard.

Words to live by.

Never stand when you can sit. Never sit when you can lay down.

Also the motivation of many time & motion professionals. :)

steve2112
Aug 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have one to make people ask why I have a signature.

lewis82
Aug 10, 2011, 05:12 PM
I have one so that I'm not obliged to write my config every time I ask for help ;)

R94N
Aug 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
Because it's always fun to have a few more people in the IRC chat room if we can.

SteveAbootman
Aug 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
Because it's provocative! It get's the people going!!!!

(Will Ferrell quote for those who are scratching their heads wondering how a 3 1/2 year old iMac & original iPad is provocative)