PDA

View Full Version : The usual fight, MacBook pro or Mac look air??

applefanboy4739
Aug 9, 2011, 12:58 AM
Ok so it's the same ole same ole, mbp vs mba. I'm talking about baseline 13" for each. The air is $100 more at $1299. The pro has a faster processor, more memory, and an optical drive. The air is thinner and lighter, has a faster hard drive, and a higher resolution screen. So for those of you that have used both or know more about the matter, which one should I get? The extra $100 doesn't matter, I can do either one. Thanks :)

misterneums
Aug 9, 2011, 01:00 AM
Ok so it's the same ole same ole, mbp vs mba. I'm talking about baseline 13" for each. The air is $100 more at $1299. The pro has a faster processor, more memory, and an optical drive. The air is thinner and lighter, has a faster hard drive, and a higher resolution screen. So for those of you that have used both or know more about the matter, which one should I get? The extra $100 doesn't matter, I can do either one. Thanks :)

You need to give more specifics. What are you doing on your computer? Is there specialty programs that you use? Do you travel? Do you need a specific amount of battery time per day.

They both have the same amount of memory: 4 GB. I'm assuming you meant storage space. Is this your only computer? Do you have other computers. Basically, need more info to be able to give you an informed opinion.

applefanboy4739
Aug 9, 2011, 01:04 AM
Right Kerry. I'm planning on app developing for iOS and Mac. This will be my only computer and I just need a startup computer. I don't fly so the portability isn't an issue all that much. I also heard that typing on the air is more comfortable than the pro.

bill-p
Aug 9, 2011, 01:10 AM
Higher resolution is more important for development than faster processor or more RAM. Unless you are processing a large amount of graphics, or you plan on guiding missiles, the MBP wouldn't offer a lot of benefits for a developer.

applefanboy4739
Aug 9, 2011, 01:11 AM
So go for the MacBook air? I do really like the form factor. My friend has an 11 inch mba and a 15 inch mbp so it was difficult to get a hands on close comparison.

misterneums
Aug 9, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hmm...

Well the MBA does have some benefits over the Pro; I'm not entirely certain which say to steer you here... So I'll do both.

13" 1.7 i5 Macbook Air
+Higher resolution screen - more workspace on the same size screen.
+Faster SSD storage
++Due to the faster SSD, you'll have bette i/o operations.
A lot of the benefits of the MBA are sort of a moot point from what you've told me thus far.
+Lightweight
+"Instant On" (Should be fixed after first Lion update.)

13" 2.3 i5 Macbook Pro
+A nicer looking screen--reportedly a better color gamut than the Air.
+More storage space--which is ideal for an only computer
+More ports: Firewire, gigabit ethernet (assuming you're going to be using your computer at a desk mainly.)
+Ability to later on down the road upgrade your RAM (Apple doesn't view this as voiding your warranty.)
+Optical drive.

After a few forum posts talking over the same thing--I feel that the 13" MBP is a good low cost (for an apple) solution for a solo computer. The air works well when the user has another computer, or has add-on devices (i.e. external HD)

I personally have a PC desktop that I use for media storage (except my iTunes library), and a media center PC box I made up as well. I have an air and I feel like if those were to be taken away, I'd still be able to get by without a problem.

I also feel that the 13" MBP just seems like the redheaded stepchild of the pro line. It's the only one with an inferior display resolution, and no dedicated graphics chip. Perhaps Apple is trying to make it their new "white macbook-esk" computer--I'm not certain.

Everything above being said, I love my 13" and wouldn't give it up for a 13" pro.

applefanboy4739
Aug 9, 2011, 01:27 AM
Ok so I'm definitely going with the air. Thanks guys :)