PDA

View Full Version : If you have 2011 mbp+mba: question (which is hotter)

orfeas0
Aug 9, 2011, 02:49 AM
More specifically, I want to know what temperatures do those 2 (mba 13" - mbp 13") have at
1) idle
2) watching a 720p-1080p video.
3) if possible, compare at gaming too.

Just want to know, does the 13" air get a lot hotter than the mbp 13"?

PaulWog
Aug 9, 2011, 03:50 AM
More specifically, I want to know what temperatures do those 2 (mba 13" - mbp 13") have at
1) idle
2) watching a 720p-1080p video.
3) if possible, compare at gaming too.

Just want to know, does the 13" air get a lot hotter than the mbp 13"?

The Air will run hotter than the Pro when it comes to just about anything. At idle the temps will be nearly the same, and in terms of to the touch on the outside, the Air will be coolish to the touch (no heat).

Watching 720p-1080p video (btw, no point in watching anything higher than 720p... idk why you'd want to watch 1080p on something that doesn't support that resolution). 1080p = 1920x1080. The Air definitely does not run at that res, but it does basically run at 720p. Anywayyys... the temps: They can range depending on the media and how it's encoded (whether you're watching it from youtube, or through VLC media player watching an mkv or what-have-you). I'd say a general amount is between 50 and high 60's, depending (if you're only watching that video).

Gaming... you can't get a good estimate. The Air can climb up to the mid 90's (Celsius) in games. The Pro is going to stay a lot cooler. When it comes to a less demanding game, the Air might only run in the 50's or 60's though (Angry Birds for example).

But... I really don't know why you're asking about internal temperatures between the Pro and the Air. It's different hardware. If you should be concerned about anything, it should be the peak temperatures of any device versus its breaking temperature, and its outside temperature (how hot it would be to your palms, fingertips, lap, etc). If a processor has a breaking temperature of 60 celcius, and it reaches 60 celcius a lot, then that's a bad processor... but you aren't asking about breaking temperatures. So I'm not sure what you're concerned about.

The appropriate answer to your questions is this: The Pro runs cooler than the Air, but when it comes to most everything, you won't be able to tell the difference to the touch (nor through listening to the fans). Both will be rather silent, and both will be rather cool. When it comes to encoding videos, running photoshop and doing intense work, playing intense games (like Starcraft 2), and doing other very intensive things: You're going to notice the Air gets hotter, and that its fans are louder.

So the gist of what I'm saying is this: Get the Air if you want to use it for what it's designed for; and that's as an ultraportable device. If you want an ultraportable gaming laptop, go buy a Dell Alienware MX11 or whatever it is. If you want a gaming laptop in general, then go buy... well... a 15-inch Macbook Pro I guess? I don't know.

I notice there's quite a few people who want it all with laptops, and they want it now. They want an ultra cool laptop that literally runs cool, has decent battery life, can run games at mid-high, is super thin and super light and super small, and this and that. The Air is first and foremost a portable laptop; what comes second is great functionality. As you push the Air, it becomes a worse and worse laptop (it will get hotter, run louder, battery life is diminished more quickly); however it is perfectly capable of these things, which is nice to those who need to use it for those sorts of things from time to time. If you're expecting a computer to be a workhorse 24/7, gaming, being productive, watching videos all the time, etc... and obviously you want it on the go (since you're looking at laptops) so you want battery life... then look at a Windows-based laptop, or a larger Macbook Pro (I suppose the 13-inch Pro would be fine if you don't need huge graphics capabilities). Definitely don't get the Air if you want it all... it's nice that it's ultra thin, but if you also want to do intensive gaming all the time... you're not really in the day and age of ultra-thin ultra-graphics laptops.

ThemacNub
Aug 9, 2011, 04:09 AM
My sisters 13" pro just gets warm. This is doing web browsing (youtube @ 480p & 10+ tabs)

orfeas0
Aug 9, 2011, 01:37 PM
But... I really don't know why you're asking about internal temperatures between the Pro and the Air. It's different hardware. If you should be concerned about anything, it should be the peak temperatures of any device versus its breaking temperature, and its outside temperature (how hot it would be to your palms, fingertips, lap, etc). If a processor has a breaking temperature of 60 celcius, and it reaches 60 celcius a lot, then that's a bad processor... but you aren't asking about breaking temperatures. So I'm not sure what you're concerned about.

The appropriate answer to your questions is this: The Pro runs cooler than the Air, but when it comes to most everything, you won't be able to tell the difference to the touch (nor through listening to the fans). Both will be rather silent, and both will be rather cool. When it comes to encoding videos, running photoshop and doing intense work, playing intense games (like Starcraft 2), and doing other very intensive things: You're going to notice the Air gets hotter, and that its fans are louder.

So the gist of what I'm saying is this: Get the Air if you want to use it for what it's designed for; and that's as an ultraportable device. If you want an ultraportable gaming laptop, go buy a Dell Alienware MX11 or whatever it is. If you want a gaming laptop in general, then go buy... well... a 15-inch Macbook Pro I guess? I don't know.

I notice there's quite a few people who want it all with laptops, and they want it now. They want an ultra cool laptop that literally runs cool, has decent battery life, can run games at mid-high, is super thin and super light and super small, and this and that. The Air is first and foremost a portable laptop; what comes second is great functionality. As you push the Air, it becomes a worse and worse laptop (it will get hotter, run louder, battery life is diminished more quickly); however it is perfectly capable of these things, which is nice to those who need to use it for those sorts of things from time to time. If you're expecting a computer to be a workhorse 24/7, gaming, being productive, watching videos all the time, etc... and obviously you want it on the go (since you're looking at laptops) so you want battery life... then look at a Windows-based laptop, or a larger Macbook Pro (I suppose the 13-inch Pro would be fine if you don't need huge graphics capabilities). Definitely don't get the Air if you want it all... it's nice that it's ultra thin, but if you also want to do intensive gaming all the time... you're not really in the day and age of ultra-thin ultra-graphics laptops.

I want a portable laptop with good battery but that can game a bit too (light games, LoL for example).
I bet the alienware m11x can't survive 2 hours of battery, unlike the air.

About resolution: Doesn't the quality improve at all even if you go from your max resolution to another even higher?

PaulWog
Aug 9, 2011, 03:20 PM
I want a portable laptop with good battery but that can game a bit too (light games, LoL for example).
I bet the alienware m11x can't survive 2 hours of battery, unlike the air.

About resolution: Doesn't the quality improve at all even if you go from your max resolution to another even higher?

Answering the last question first: The quality will improve if you're viewing youtube, or a poorly encoded video. Youtube, for example, won't send a perfect 720p video (it will send it at that resolution, but it won't send every pixel worth of detail). So if you watch youtube at 1080p, it will send 1920x1080 and your computer will then compress it to your screen's resolution, resulting it what appears to be a more detailed picture. But that's only in some cases. A lot of youtube 720P videos come across fine. And as long as you're watching a properly encoded 720P video of your own (if you encode your own videos for your devices), the detail will be absolutely perfect at 720P and no different from 1080P on your Air. So the long answer is yes, 1080P can be better on even the Air.

As far as the m11x goes, though, I hope you're not giving that answer as an Apple fanboy (not to say you are one, but I hate seeing fan boyish comments from either side of the equation). The m11x actually performs better when it comes to battery life than the Air: It is rated at 7 to 8 hours of battery life with integrated graphics, and 3 to 4 hours of battery life when you switch to dedicated graphics (it uses both and switches depending on what you're doing). That's a fair bit better than the Air's rated 5 hours battery life for light internet browsing. The reason it gets better battery life is rather simple: It's larger, so it fits a larger battery.

I'm not advocating that you purchase a Dell laptop, or the very thick m11x, but I am saying that if you want an ultra-portable gaming laptop (primary concerns being portability and gaming), then the m11x is something you should look at. I considered the m11x, but what I was mainly purchasing for was an ultra-thin ultra-portable laptop for school-related purposes... and so I got myself the Air. The selling points for me were the aluminum (much nicer to rest palms on, doesn't absorb or ware away when it comes to oils... unlike painted plastic on netbooks), the trackpad (gestures are huge for me on the trackpad), and the OS X Lion interface.