Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

galaxy_tab_10_1_revised-500x359.jpg

FOSS Patents reports on news out of Germany that Apple has been granted a preliminary injunction barring Samsung from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 anywhere in the European Union with the exception of the Netherlands.
Apple alleged that the Galaxy Tab imitates the iPad and infringes on various intellectual property rights owned by Apple. Apple asked the Landgericht (district court) of Düsseldorf, Germany, to order an injunction under which Samsung is threatened with fines of up to EUR 250,000 (US$ 350,000) for each violation or imprisonment of Samsung's management in the event of continued infringement. Those are standard sanctions under German tort law for contempt of a preliminary injunction.
Last week, Samsung agreed to delay the launch of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia in response to Apple's request for a preliminary injunction in that country. Samsung argues that Apple's case in Australia addresses the U.S. version of its tablet device and that it plans to release a version specific for the Australian market, but the company has agreed to provide Apple with samples of the Australian version and has pushed back the device's debut there as the dispute continues to play out.

Article Link: Apple Granted Injunction Barring Sale of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in European Union

Last edited by a moderator:

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I'm really tired of these patents. Let everyone share/take ideas and make humanity a better place.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I'm really tired of these patents. Let everyone share/take ideas and make humanity a better place.

That's very easy to say when you haven't invested millions of dollars in designing and testing a new product, only to see another company copy it and release their own version. You wouldn't have such an easy going attitude if that happened to you.

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
I'm an Apple fanboy as much as the next user of this site, but this is bad for the consumer in general.

I think it could be good for consumers, because of this move, ideas won't be stolen and other compainies will be forced to think of new innovative ideas themselves which may result in much better products and more competition.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Really? Imagine that you worked on a new product you invented for years, spent all your savings making it better and suddenly you see your neighbor selling an identical product, because he saw you build it and stole the idea from you. How would you feel???

ultravioletfly

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007

That would all be well and good, but what motivation would Apple then have to pour billions of $$ into R&D? As long as Sammy and Co. keep waiting for the next Apple product to copy (ex. iPad 2, remember Sammy saw that and scrapped their original 10.1) without spending any of their own cash on R&D, they'll just keep doing it. They need to be punished.

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I'm an Apple fanboy as much as the next user of this site, but this is bad for the consumer in general.
Where would the incentive be to create new products if after spending hundreds of millions of dollars in research and development some other entity can just come along and legally steal your idea?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011

I sort of almost agree, on a theoretical level. But proper motivation (or in this case, obligation), to come up with new ideas if you want to put something out on the market can be a very good thing for society as well.

ultravioletfly

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Also, where are all those "experts" that just assumed Apple was willing to license their patents to Sammy? Unless Sammy has some patents worth cross-licensing, Apple's gonna go for the injunction.

jdsmoooth

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
That's very easy to say when you haven't invested millions of dollars in designing and testing a new product, only to see another company copy it and release their own version. You wouldn't have such an easy going attitude if that happened to you.

The problem goes much deeper than this. The number of patent suits is at an all time high in this country. It costs tax payers an enormous amount of money in cout costs. It seems everyone has some patent that they believe other companies have infringed on.
This eventually will stifle growth of new technologies, if it hasn't already. Our patent laws are archaic by modern standards and really do need to be brought to todays standards.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Wow Apple certainly has a lot of Judges in their pocket !

Or a couple Fanboy Judges who are blind to anything against Apple.

Thats why the Fanboy is so dangerous.

This is Anti-Competitive BS and everyone knows it.

I want one of these Galaxy Tabs now, just to see why Apple is so scared.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Disagree.... it's bad that the industry in general has taken to just stealing patented idea's without pause in hopes of beating it later or not getting caught.

However... I will say that I think high tech companies have brought this on themselves by patenting too many general things making it almost impossible not to infringe on something.

But, I am in favor companies protecting their IP.... in this case, Apple showed the rest of the industry how it's done with tablets. No one else even came close up until the iPad. If they have legitimate IP being infringed on, they should be able to protect it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Boom

There you go. Told yas.

It's hitting the fan. But MUCH faster than I would have thought.

Copying is everywhere - or rather, wisps and allegations of it. Samsung's, however, has proven to be substantial.

Of course, this was already apparent months ago.

Not that much of it matters. Samsung wasn't going to sell many of these anyway.

Kuges

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010

Yeah, kinda makes you wonder why Archos hasn't sued Apple yet.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Oh I'm sure Samsung welcomes this, as now they'll have an excuse for it's dismal sales.

And who knows, this may actually help their sales if and went they get the injunction lifted. They could play it up. "Banned in Europe! See the tablet Apple was afraid to let us release!". Something like that.

The ad copy almost writes itself....

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Am I the only one who is a little offended by the continual use or the word "Asian" before using "Thieves" and "Knock-offs", etc? I understand many of these companies are headquartered in Asia, but it just makes me a little queazy to hear people say that. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.