PDA

View Full Version : MBA 13 inch 2011 as your Main Computer ?

Jonas89
Aug 9, 2011, 12:33 PM
Simple question :p ->

Can you use the Macbook air 13 inch 2011 (base model, i5) as your Main Computer ?

Not for professional use, only "home-work" (internet, mail, ical, itunes, iphoto, pages & small games).

Greetings,

PS: sorry for my bad english, i'm new here...

Surely
Aug 9, 2011, 12:34 PM
Yes.:)

Now send me some chocolate for helping you.:p;)

kilonet
Aug 9, 2011, 12:35 PM
Why not? I use my 11" as such. :cool:

drakkardnoir
Aug 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
I just purchased a 13 inch Air and intend on using it as my main computer. In fact, it will be the only computer I will have as I will be selling my 2007 15" MBP.

maka344
Aug 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
I use my base 13" as my main and only machine. Why spend 1200 for a secondary computer?!

Twe Foju
Aug 9, 2011, 01:15 PM
why not? my 11inch is now my Main Computer ( better than my C2D desktop PC with ATi 3870 )

when on home, i plug it into my 24inch Dell Monitor, works like a charm

of course, there is a downside, i am an EvE player, playing it on my MBA tends to get hot and i usually don't play more than 4 hours because the fan kicks like crazy

but other than that, the 2011 MBA just works perfectly

13 inch definitely works better

hereyago
Aug 9, 2011, 01:29 PM
i cant use my mba as my main (11 inch) :o

too small and it cant play the games that i want to play :o

LeakedDave
Aug 9, 2011, 03:52 PM
why not? my 11inch is now my Main Computer ( better than my C2D desktop PC with ATi 3870 )

when on home, i plug it into my 24inch Dell Monitor, works like a charm

of course, there is a downside, i am an EvE player, playing it on my MBA tends to get hot and i usually don't play more than 4 hours because the fan kicks like crazy

but other than that, the 2011 MBA just works perfectly

13 inch definitely works better

Why'd you get the 11" if the 13" is better to you? Just asking, no troll here

LeakedDave
Aug 9, 2011, 03:53 PM
i cant use my mba as my main (11 inch) :o

too small and it cant play the games that i want to play :o

What games?

TheRealDamager
Aug 9, 2011, 04:00 PM

Can you use the Macbook air 13 inch 2011 (base model, i5) as your Main Computer ?

Not for professional use, only "home-work" (internet, mail, ical, itunes, iphoto, pages & small games).

Greetings,

Yes, an I5 or I7 makes a perfectly usable main computer.

LeakedDave
Aug 9, 2011, 04:01 PM
Yes, an I5 or I7 makes a perfectly usable main computer.

My 13" 2010 Core 2 Duo Air made for a perfectly usable main computer.

And now the i7 does fine as well now ;)

MisterPark
Aug 9, 2011, 04:05 PM
I use the 11 inch model as my main workhorse. No problems so far. So I think the 13 inch is going to work just fine as a main computer.

hooneyrob
Aug 9, 2011, 04:13 PM
I've used both the Air and also the MBP 15 and can say for sure that the Air can be used as your main computer. What shocked me is the performance of the new Air - in every day use (which is what you've mentioned) it was just as snappy as the MBP 15 althought I cannot say what it would be like when lots of Apps are churning away but imagine it will still perform well.. The SSD makes it faster in many respect than any stock machine with a hard drive.

The downside is the screen - 13" in my opinion is too small for constant use but this is very subjective. Lots of people I'm sure will say that it's fine and as you say you've an external display you're going to be fine.. The MPB high res screen is great to work on - lots of space..

Gaming wise the Air is great at low settings - I tried Civ5 and watched a few Youtube video's and the content looked pretty good. Even on low settings today's games look pretty good.. It's a tiny wafer thin device that can do all I've just mentioned.. Think it'll be fine for every day..!

alecgold
Aug 9, 2011, 04:48 PM
If I can use my 2010 13" for professional work as my main computer (no graphic or video, just the regular office stuff and parallels with XP) why couldn't you use the 2011 for personal stuff?
It's a perfect machine for that. Even the 11" would be nice enough, if you could live with an 11" screen.

LeakedDave
Aug 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
I've used both the Air and also the MBP 15 and can say for sure that the Air can be used as your main computer. What shocked me is the performance of the new Air - in every day use (which is what you've mentioned) it was just as snappy as the MBP 15 althought I cannot say what it would be like when lots of Apps are churning away but imagine it will still perform well.. The SSD makes it faster in many respect than any stock machine with a hard drive.

The downside is the screen - 13" in my opinion is too small for constant use but this is very subjective. Lots of people I'm sure will say that it's fine and as you say you've an external display you're going to be fine.. The MPB high res screen is great to work on - lots of space..

Gaming wise the Air is great at low settings - I tried Civ5 and watched a few Youtube video's and the content looked pretty good. Even on low settings today's games look pretty good.. It's a tiny wafer thin device that can do all I've just mentioned.. Think it'll be fine for every day..!

How tall are you? I'm 5'5 and I couldn't imagine using a screen bigger than 13" on a laptop. I do however have a 27" cinema display for the desktop but any laptop bigger than 13" on my lap feels overkill.

This is why I was disappointed that the 13" Pro wasn't quad nor Radeon -_-

hereyago
Aug 9, 2011, 06:41 PM
What games?

i mean at the settings that i want to play them in.

currently playing wow at highest settings. waiting for bf3 to come out

DieterRams
Aug 9, 2011, 06:57 PM
I use the 11 inch model as my main workhorse. No problems so far. So I think the 13 inch is going to work just fine as a main computer.

What do you use the 11" for? Are you doing any development or graphic design work?

Are you ok with typing on it and using the trackpad? I'm typing on one in the store right now and I find that I need to curl my fingers a bit to type properly while keeping my wrists right at the edge so that it doesn't cut into them. And the trackpad is shorter than even the 13" - I kind of find that I need to narrow the gap between my finger and thumb to use it than I normally would. What about you?

LeakedDave
Aug 9, 2011, 09:52 PM
i mean at the settings that i want to play them in.

currently playing wow at highest settings. waiting for bf3 to come out

The settings that you want to play them in -_- Lol

WoW? Barely looks better on highest settings anyways.

LeakedDave
Aug 9, 2011, 09:53 PM
What do you use the 11" for? Are you doing any development or graphic design work?

Are you ok with typing on it and using the trackpad? I'm typing on one in the store right now and I find that I need to curl my fingers a bit to type properly while keeping my wrists right at the edge so that it doesn't cut into them. And the trackpad is shorter than even the 13" - I kind of find that I need to narrow the gap between my finger and thumb to use it than I normally would. What about you?

Then you should get a 13" ;). If you don't fall in love with the 11" it isn't for you.

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 9, 2011, 10:20 PM

Greetings,

Absolutely! I mean the previous generation was capable of handling basic email, iLife, and web surfing. But with the more powerful processors the Airs are now as powerful as some of the Pro models that have come out in the last few years. Quite an amazing feat if you ask me.

wdropo
Aug 9, 2011, 10:36 PM
Laptops have been my main computer for 19 years.

Lord Appleseed
Aug 9, 2011, 10:50 PM
I'm doing exactly that with my MB Air, it's my Main computer. My iMac is just my power-editing and gaming machine.

tech324
Aug 9, 2011, 10:51 PM
I am using my MBA 2011 13 inch as my main computer. I used it for home and for work. I work in IT and I love being able to take my computer with me to work. I do everything from web browsing, email, web design, remote desktop into windows servers, ssh into unix servers, etc. I haven't found anything the MBA can't do except play games. I have a desktop to play games with and I am rarely on it.

hooneyrob
Aug 10, 2011, 04:06 AM
How tall are you? I'm 5'5 and I couldn't imagine using a screen bigger than 13" on a laptop. I do however have a 27" cinema display for the desktop but any laptop bigger than 13" on my lap feels overkill.

6ft3"

dubAdub
Aug 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
I've just ordered a 13" MacBook Air i7 and Thunderbolt display for use as my main computer. Looking at geekbench results it should be plenty fast enough as I'm a light user.

DieterRams
Aug 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
Then you should get a 13" ;). If you don't fall in love with the 11" it isn't for you.

Oh definitely fell in love! Its why i came into the store. I had originally thought 11 was for me but this experience truly saddens me. It may force me to go with 13 even though i love the 11...

ryNze
Aug 10, 2011, 11:01 PM
I use my 13" as my main computer now. It works GREAT.
At home, I plug it in to a 23" external monitor.

palpatine
Aug 10, 2011, 11:08 PM

i have the mbp 13" and am quite pleased with it as my main computer, but it turns out that i will soon have access to very powerful computers at a different university campus, and i may downgrade to an mba 11" at that point. i haven't decided yet, but i am tempted. i figure i'll just use the university computers for the heavy processing (mainly adobe acrobat pro, which really eats up my resources).

if the mbp had a quad core it would definitely be a keeper. it is a real shame :(

the mbas are quite capable of working as main computers in my opinion. heck, i get 90% of my work done on the ipad already :)

Yumunum
Aug 11, 2011, 12:13 AM
For this to be your only computer, you're gonna need

1. enough storage
2. an external disk drive

CDs and DVDs aren't gone yet, you'll find yourself in a situation where you'll need one someday and you'll smack yourself.

Only problem with this, is you might end up having to spend a ton of money. I use my new 2011 13" Air as my main computer, but after getting everything I needed it ended up being almost $2,000. If I would've just got a 13" MacBook Pro it would've costed wayyyyyyyyy less.

Btw, I have the same uses as you. College student, normal duties, nothing extreme.

tronburger
Aug 11, 2011, 03:43 AM
is it good enough to be used for photo editing and occasional video editing under 8 or 9 mins

I am about to do a lot of a travelling, so I was either going to go for the MBA 13 or MBP 13. I had decided on that. Now they both equal to about $1800 so price isn't an issue. I really really like the lightweight of the AIR. But I have spoken to a few people who have all given me different opinions, even if they are Mac experts or what.

I will be travelling with my camera for a while taking photos and videos for bands. I want to be able to take my computer with me and be able to edit while on the rd. I am also travelling with a 5 year old so the less stuff I have to carry and the less weight the better.

Would I get away with the MBA to do these things? With photoshop and premiere. Or am I safer just to stick with the MBP and carry the extra 600 grams

decisions decisions

really appreciate some advice