PDA

View Full Version : Leavingg my Air in a trunk

geekygeek
Aug 9, 2011, 01:04 PM
I was going on a fishing trip about a week ago. I brought my air with me, and I left it in a trunk of a car in about 95-100 degrees. I went fishing at 3:00pm and left it there until 11pm. I'm not sure if it was turned off or not. I do see some drainage and shortage of battery life now. It would be like at 80% I left it for an hour in standby and it was like 70%. Should I lie to apple that it was a defective battery and have them replace it? :confused:

edit: I spelled leaving wrong in the title

blueroom
Aug 9, 2011, 01:08 PM
Why tell us, just make a Genius appointment and tell them what happend.

geekygeek
Aug 9, 2011, 01:25 PM
Why tell us, just make a Genius appointment and tell them what happend.

Will they still replace the battery? I don't want the whole thing to be replaced because I finally got a perfect Samsung SSD after exchanging a few times.

blueroom
Aug 9, 2011, 01:26 PM
They might, ask them just to replace the battery.

geekygeek
Aug 9, 2011, 01:29 PM
They might, ask them just to replace the battery.

for free? mine doesn't have apple care and it was bought from best buy.

deeddawg
Aug 9, 2011, 01:30 PM
Should I lie to apple that it was a defective battery and have them replace it?

You're asking on a public forum if you should commit fraud by lying to Apple?

Why not just tell the truth, point to page 60 in the manual where it says "Do not expose the battery to temperatures above 212 F or 100 C." and be done with it?

Apple OC
Aug 9, 2011, 01:33 PM
I was going on a fishing trip about a week ago.

did you catch anything?

geekygeek
Aug 9, 2011, 01:39 PM
did you catch anything?

Barely. The missouri river is flooding so they cut off the water from the dam for a few months. I only caught 3, I used to catch at least 30, 3 lbs min.

http://bit.ly/r6exFv

Gator Bob
Aug 9, 2011, 01:40 PM
Do what common sense tells you to do.:cool: And never again leave any not-turned-off notebook in a closed auto that easily heats past 100-plus degrees.

komoornik
Aug 9, 2011, 02:21 PM
You're asking on a public forum if you should commit fraud by lying to Apple?

Why not just tell the truth, point to page 60 in the manual where it says "Do not expose the battery to temperatures above 212 F or 100 C." and be done with it?

By 95-100 I think he meant F.

I can't believe it could be 100 C

jsolares
Aug 9, 2011, 02:31 PM

Yeah, Inside the car it gets quite hot under the sun, but still wouldn't be near 100C (i would hope hehe)

deeddawg
Aug 9, 2011, 03:15 PM

Exactly. So if the manual says those temps, then surely leaving it in the car shouldn't have damaged it -- and thus Apple should fix it (hopefully).

I still think it's a better idea not to leave it in the car, but this gives a reasonable justification to have Apple fix it while being honest about the situation.

PaulWog
Aug 9, 2011, 03:23 PM
I was going on a fishing trip about a week ago. I brought my air with me, and I left it in a trunk of a car in about 95-100 degrees. I went fishing at 3:00pm and left it there until 11pm. I'm not sure if it was turned off or not. I do see some drainage and shortage of battery life now. It would be like at 80% I left it for an hour in standby and it was like 70%. Should I lie to apple that it was a defective battery and have them replace it? :confused:

edit: I spelled leaving wrong in the title

Wait so uhhh... what's the problem? Your battery lost some charge on standby? Why don't you test it in normal temps and see if it still functions properly?

Maybe all Air batteries lose huge amounts of battery life on standby if exposed to a lot of heat? Who knows?

Lord Appleseed
Aug 9, 2011, 03:32 PM
Edit: Never mind

happyslayer
Aug 9, 2011, 04:07 PM
I live in Phoenix, AZ where it is easily +110 deg F for a lot of the summer. Inside a car/trunk it will get to 150-190 deg F. (This is what the local news said when discussing dumb people that leave kids and dogs in their car "just for a minute" while they run into the store.)

Anyway, I leave my 2011 Air in the car for a few hours, at least, almost every day in the afternoon. It is in my laptop bag, but it is almost always in standby/sleep mode. I have never noticed a degradation in battery time because of this. I have owned three previous Airs and they had no battery problems either.

Take it to Apple. You have done nothing "wrong" with it. It's summer; it gets hot.

Now, if you left it on the dashboard, open, and the keys melted, then that would be a different issue. But yours was left in the trunk.

Good luck.

geekygeek
Aug 9, 2011, 09:18 PM
Of Course it was 95-100 F. My problem is seeing drainage in battery faster, even in normal temps. I'm charging it right now, I will turn bluetooth off, wifi on, brightness at 1 bar and browsing non-flash websites and using a stop watch to see what times I get.

TheRealDamager
Aug 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
I think you are assuming there is a battery issue when there isn't one. Why do people obsess with the battery in these things? Just use it for 11.5 months, and if you are unhappy with the battery life, have them deal with it then.

nnguyen
Aug 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
I think you are assuming there is a battery issue when there isn't one. Why do people obsess with the battery in these things? Just use it for 11.5 months, and if you are unhappy with the battery life, have them deal with it then.

lol at this. I leave all my apple products in my trunk. i do notice the drain, but its only temporary, more like assumption than fact. I live in Houston, so right now temp is 100+ everyday, my 2011 air still hold a great charge even though, it goes though 100+ heat in my trunk everyday for around 6-7 hrs while im at work. (work at HP.. so .. yea lol.) Like he said, use for 11.5 months, but instead of complaining about battery life, just buy a new one :)

Also 4got to mention - i have 2 amp in the trunk- pumping out alot of heat while on, in a closed space, so you can image how much heat those added. :)

tjb1
Aug 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
for free? mine doesn't have apple care and it was bought from best buy.

Every apple product comes with AppleCare...

ZBoater
Aug 11, 2011, 10:17 AM
Every apple product comes with AppleCare...

If you pay for it...