Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

62vek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2009 (2.26 GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB) I'm already tired of my laptop, is too heavy, it gets too warm sometimes and it's too slow for me.

So I'm looking for a better and faster 13-inch model, I have my eye on the new MacBook Air 1.8GHz Core i7, 4GB RAM, 256SSD... It looks pretty good but how fast could be ? It's 1.8 GHz with a Turbo of 2.9 GHz but still it's a 1.8 GHz...

You guys think that at least that MBA it will be much but much faster that the one I have right now ?? or should I wait for the next MacBook Pro (2012) ?? Because I didn't like the new one, it's the same design that I have right now...

What you guys think I should do ? Wait or buy the new MBA ?

I use my MBP for almost everything, surf the web, use apps like iTunes, Aperture, Pixelmator, RapidWeaver, Xcode 4, Permute and I always have a lot of apps open at the same time !

Last edited:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I'm forgoing the 2011 update, and waiting on the next-gen 2012 Pro, should be similar in design to the Air. I'll use it as a desktop and my 2010 Air as a road machine with its long battery life.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I'm forgoing the 2011 update, and waiting on the next-gen 2012 Pro, should be similar in design to the Air. I'll use it as a desktop and my 2010 Air as a road machine with its long battery life.

I agree, apple will likely do away with the cd drive, the new MBP will be both faster and smaller that the previous generation, kind of everything you want, right?

Stein357

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Rip City
I think it depends completely on what you use your computer for. If you need the MPB's capabilities, then obviously waiting and getting that is going to be your best bet. However, if you need someting to surf the internet and type documents on, etc. then the MBA is perfect. I have a 13" i5 from a mid-2009 13" MBP and the performance difference is night and day.

62vek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I agree, apple will likely do away with the cd drive, the new MBP will be both faster and smaller that the previous generation, kind of everything you want, right?

I think so too, but you think that they will use SDD instead of the Hard Disk ?

The SSD is so much better than the Hard Drive ! But when you chose to change the Hard Drive to SSD, is so expensive. For a 256GB SSD cost $600 !

Last edited:

62vek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I think it depends completely on what you use your computer for. If you need the MPB's capabilities, then obviously waiting and getting that is going to be your best bet. However, if you need someting to surf the internet and type documents on, etc. then the MBA is perfect. I have a 13" i5 from a mid-2009 13" MBP and the performance difference is night and day.

Well I use my MBP for almost everything, surf the web, use apps like iTunes, Aperture, Pixelmator, RapidWeaver, Xcode 4, Permute and I always have a lot of apps open at the same time !

Last edited:

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010

You can do much more than type documents and surf the web on a 2011 MBA... If memory serves me right, they outscored the 2010 i7 MBPs.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I think so too, but you think that they will use SDD instead of the Hard Disk ?

The SSD is so much better than the Hard Drive ! But when you chose to change the Hard Drive to SSD, is so expensive. For a 256GB SSD cost $600 !

Well I use my MBP for almost everything, surfing the web and using apps like iTunes, Pixelmator, RapidWeaver, Xcode 4, Permute.... and I always have a lot of apps open at the same time !

I think for the next-gen MBP they will still give an option of SSD or HDD given that most people who use MBPs want a lot of storage which is simply not an economical solution at this time for SSDs. I could be wrong though as they might go to all-SSD. If they do so then just get the smallest one (it won't be $600 more, the price points will be very similar to today's MBPs) and "upgrade" to a 1TB Scorpio internal HDD.

If you use your computer for pixelmator/photoshop/aperture etc, I would recommend the MBP over the MBA as the GPU is a very significant difference between the two and will no doubt be noticeably slower on the MBA.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Well I use my MBP for almost everything, surf the web, use apps like iTunes, Aperture, Pixelmator, RapidWeaver, Xcode 4, Permute and I always have a lot of apps open at the same time !

Dude even a 2010 Air would've suited you perfectly. I do similar. Eclipse, Xcode, Photoshop, iTunes, Vuze, Parallels all running same time and more. And plays all the games I ever tried.

And the 2011 is even better.

Air, period. What are you waiting for? Even the i5 would be fine. But I got the i7 cause I'm picky like that. ;)

62vek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I think for the next-gen MBP they will still give an option of SSD or HDD given that most people who use MBPs want a lot of storage which is simply not an economical solution at this time for SSDs. I could be wrong though as they might go to all-SSD. If they do so then just get the smallest one (it won't be $600 more, the price points will be very similar to today's MBPs) and "upgrade" to a 1TB Scorpio internal HDD.

If you use your computer for pixelmator/photoshop/aperture etc, I would recommend the MBP over the MBA as the GPU is a very significant difference between the two and will no doubt be noticeably slower on the MBA.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

62vek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Dude even a 2010 Air would've suited you perfectly. I do similar. Eclipse, Xcode, Photoshop, iTunes, Vuze, Parallels all running same time and more. And plays all the games I ever tried.

And the 2011 is even better.

Air, period. What are you waiting for? Even the i5 would be fine. But I got the i7 cause I'm picky like that. ;)

What SSD model and Panel did you got ? Samsung ??

If you have samsung in both, then you won the lottery, haha !

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
What SSD model and Panel did you got ? Samsung ??

If you have samsung in both, then you won the lottery, haha !

Samsung. Not that I'm worried about it. I honestly doubt the performance difference between the SSD's is noticeable, and same goes for the screens.

People make a big deal out of small things ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.