PDA

View Full Version : Wine damage on PBG4




sngx1275
Aug 9, 2011, 03:49 PM
So, some (well a lot) of wine got spilled on my old Powerbook. I flipped it sideways as fast as I could and powered it down by holding the power button. Then I removed the battery.

It boots now, and the kb works fine. There is a blemish on the screen, but not terrible.

The big issue is, the battery doesn't appear to charge properly. About every second it alternates from running on AC to running on battery. I have not left it plugged in to see if it will charge up, in fact I've only had it running about 2 minutes to discover this issue.

So... what do you think? Think I can open it up and try to wipe the board with something? I have access to some high purity deionized water, but aside from bathing it in that (which I guess is an option)....

I saw a parts only sell on ebay for $125 a couple days ago. Should I just try and get $100 or so for it and call it a day?

I think I'll open it up and see if there is anything I can clean, if it fails I'll just ebay it.

Really just wanted a place to vent :)



shifuimam
Aug 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's possible that the DC-in board has a short. You can replace this component fairly inexpensively.

Does the machine work fine with the battery removed entirely? If so, it's possible the battery connector on the logic board has a short due to liquid damage (e.g. corrosion) - if so, you might need to replace the logic board.

lindstedt56
Aug 10, 2011, 02:02 PM
I would open the laptop up and scrub the boards with the deionized water and a tooth brush.

sngx1275
Sep 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
I haven't done much with the system. But, I did pull the battery and try to power it on. It boots and runs fine without the battery, so from the first reply I guess this is bad news for ever running it on battery again. Fair enough though, the machine got almost 5 years of good nearly daily use. I suppose it can become a "desktop" machine now.