PDA

View Full Version : 2 identical macbook air, one more noisy!

andmm
Aug 9, 2011, 03:54 PM
Because of a returning of my macbook air 2011 13"(because I got he slow toshiba SSD) I have now to identical airs.

But on the new one I notice a significant more noisy or higher tone from the left fan. How can that be?

Hellhammer
Aug 9, 2011, 03:57 PM
Defective fan, worse thermal paste job, dissimilar CPUs (yes, they are the same spec but not all are 100% the same, although this shouldn't cause issues like this)... etc.

Or have you checked the Activity Monitor? It's likely that Spotlight is still indexing or something similar.

andmm
Aug 9, 2011, 04:06 PM
Activity Monitor shows no difference.
One the new noisy one, the build quality actually seems better, because the alu-body is more creaking on the old one. So that a little dilemma.

Weight:
New: 1344g
old: 1351g

andmm
Aug 10, 2011, 07:27 AM
Could it be cpu whine?

andmm
Aug 19, 2011, 01:18 PM
Called apple tech support because of the noise problem and they tried to reset the PRAM and NVRAM.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
and another issue ctrl+alt+shift before restart (I think, don't remember)

But it did not work so, got a new replacement. But the new one is as nosy as the second one.

I don't think I can get a new replacement. Can anybody think of any software solution to the problem, or is it a hardware problem?

jsolares
Aug 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
Called apple tech support because of the noise problem and they tried to reset the PRAM and NVRAM.

But it did not work so, got a new replacement. But the new one is as nosy as the second one.

I don't think I can get a new replacement. Can anybody think of any software solution to the problem, or is it a hardware problem?

What is the cpu load? what is the cpu temperature? what are the fan speeds?

andmm
Aug 19, 2011, 01:59 PM
What is the cpu load? what is the cpu temperature? what are the fan speeds?

CPU load 0.5%
Cpu temp: 45,1 degree celsius (from the program CPU fan) (= 113,18 degrees Fahrenheit)
fan speed: Left fan: 2003 rpm (from the program CPU fan)
Right fan: -1 ?

Queen6
Aug 19, 2011, 02:11 PM

The problem is your expectations, you are chasing perfection, from a massed produced item, that is being produced by the 100`s of thousands, had you not been aware of the Samsung versus Toshiba SSD, you would most likely have been blissfully happy...

You can try SMC Fan Control, this is simply a program and non persistent, nor does it permanently affect the SMC, so the uninstall is non problematic. You can preset fan RPM`s and prevent the system heating up, as dissipating the heat takes a lot longer than preventing the build up. I use it on my MacBook Pro 4.1 (2.4Ghz Pyrene) and that is truly a "Cooker" an extra 500RPM will increase air flow and you will also be able monitor the RPM`s and see if there is any association with specific programs.

jsolares
Aug 19, 2011, 02:54 PM
CPU load 0.5%
Cpu temp: 45,1 degree celsius (from the program CPU fan) (= 113,18 degrees Fahrenheit)
fan speed: Left fan: 2003 rpm (from the program CPU fan)
Right fan: -1 ?

Nearly the same as mine, and i can't hear it over the iMac :S

andmm
Aug 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
The problem is your expectations, you are chasing perfection, from a massed produced item, that is being produced by the 100`s of thousands, had you not been aware of the Samsung versus Toshiba SSD, you would most likely have been blissfully happy...

You can try SMC Fan Control, this is simply a program and non persistent, nor does it permanently affect the SMC, so the uninstall is non problematic. You can preset fan RPM`s and prevent the system heating up, as dissipating the heat takes a lot longer than preventing the build up. I use it on my MacBook Pro 4.1 (2.4Ghz Pyrene) and that is truly a "Cooker" an extra 500RPM will increase air flow and you will also be able monitor the RPM`s and see if there is any association with specific programs.

Cant install the SMC fan on my air.
It just because the first one I got was dead silent 10 cm away, but the new one I can hear in normal sitting position. I should just had kept the original one and ordered a screwdriver to fix the cracking sound. But that too late.

The two noisy one are both produced in week 29

superego
Aug 20, 2011, 06:02 AM
The way Apple quality control is these days, consider yourself very lucky if you get a perfect laptop. Most laptops seem to have at least one flaw, like creaking, gradient on the display, slower SSD, warped chassis, scratches straight out of the box etc. etc. I think it's more common to get one with several flaws than a perfectly good one. It's pretty sad, because without these issues Air would be a good laptop.

----------

It just because the first one I got was dead silent 10 cm away, but the new one I can hear in normal sitting position. I should just had kept the original one and ordered a screwdriver to fix the cracking sound. But that too late.

Why can't you just return it again? There are people who have returned their Macbooks several times. Don't you think it's a bit absurd situation that your replacement is worse than the original one? No one should have to fix their brand new laptops by themselves, it's Apple's problem not the customer's.

bp1000
Oct 11, 2011, 07:56 PM
I have the exact same problem

I had to return my first MBA due to some issues but it was deadly silent. I could even hear the slight cpu clicking some days when i scrolled web pages.

My replacement is as the OP describes. Noisy, high pitch whine that is just about audible from normal distance when reading a web page if you listen out for it.

Up close you can clearly hear the differences between the whoosh of the air from the CPU fan and this high pitch whine.

I do need some clarification on the following though. If i use Fan Control 1.2 to up the fan speed, this high pitch whine increases in pitch to an even higher pitch whine as the fan goes quicker.

Would this actually happen if it is indeed the fan. Because the only other thing that could be creating this whine is a capacitor or the power supply which is also on the left side. I wondered if the higher volume of air generated by a fast RPM on the fan could alter the pitch of the whine if it was indeed the PSU/Capacitor.

calvol
Oct 12, 2011, 09:20 AM
The way Apple quality control is these days, consider yourself very lucky if you get a perfect laptop. Most laptops seem to have at least one flaw, like creaking, gradient on the display, slower SSD, warped chassis, scratches straight out of the box etc. etc. I think it's more common to get one with several flaws than a perfectly good one. It's pretty sad, because without these issues Air would be a good laptop.

Agree, as volume has gone up, quality has gone down. I'm sure the contract manufacturer, Foxconn, pushes Apple to lower the bar because FXCN probably takes most if not all the hit when an Air fails QC.

Queen6
Oct 12, 2011, 09:37 AM

You should be able to install SMC fan control no problem, it`s very stable and latest release is compatible with Lion. My 13" i5 and my wife`s 11" i5 are both silent until the fan ramps up from high temperature. If you are not happy change the notebook Apple will oblige...

Queen6
Oct 12, 2011, 09:58 AM
Agree, as volume has gone up, quality has gone down. I'm sure the contract manufacturer, Foxconn, pushes Apple to lower the bar because FXCN probably takes most if not all the hit when an Air fails QC.

I doubt it, quality it one of Apple`s sell up`s; my 2011 Air is perfect as is my wife`s as are all others I have seen. Remember you will see far more negative posts on forums as people gravitate to express their issues, than the vast majority of customers who are happy with their product.

Personally I believe that Apple`s build quality builds on every major revision, the 2011 Air is simply phenomenal in when compared to the majority of the notebook market. Never had a Mac fail and that in its self is a testament, my MBP has served me from north Eastern China, Middle East to now the Tropics :apple: