Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
While the noise doesn't really bother me, is there reason to be concerned? It makes a "kerplunk" sound every 15 seconds or so. Do hard drives park their heads this often?

I'm referring to the noise in some Seagate drives that Apple is using in the new PowerBooks.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
I purchased a Seagate hard drive about a year ago for my iMac that did the exact same thing. Every 30 seconds or so it would make this audibly loud click sound, and it drove me insane. I looked around online and a few others had the problem too. Seems it was some kind of special technology so that the head doesn't stick or something.

I called up Seagate tech support and they stated that they never heard of such a problem before, and if I wasn't satisfied I should return it. I ended up doing just that and replaced it with a Samsung which was far quieter anyway.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Mac minis also suffer from this noise issue, its not a fault according to the majority of sites ive seen about it like on the apple discussions here:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@682.Csc8a7hJQkz.2@.68a7d843

mine does this, its just the head resting and somtimes there is another less frequent "bouncing" sound, this is a thermal adjustment inside the drive apparently, i wouldnt worry about it too much. (my mini is making the sound every 15 secs or so right this very second and has done so since day 1)

bye

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.