Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Welcome to the Lion's greatest new feature thread, where we forgo the whining, stop worrying about upgrade troubles, and talk excitedly about whatever new feature in Lion makes us the happiest.

Starting today is, well, me!

To me, the greatest new feature in Lion is the Magic Trackpad power. I have these gestures on it:

- Pinch to Zoom
- Two-finger double-tap to zoom
- Flick to go forward and backward in Safari
- Rotation
- Swipe for spaces
- Mission Control
- App Expose
- Launchpad
- Show Desktop

That's so many features from one little device, it can completely replace the mouse in terms of features! I love Two-finger double tapping most, since it gives me a good way to browse while leaning wayyy back in my chair.

So, guys, what's your favorite new feature?

javier29m90

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
are u kidding me?

- App Expose
- Show Desktop

this 2 basic functions are there for years

-Mission Control for now is bad
-Launchpad i mean... the dock do that and more ,waste of memory (This only serves to promote the iPad)

Last edited:

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
I guess I'm in the minority but I love the Launchpad feature. The new swipe gestures are good too.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
Magic Trackpad + Gestures definitely.

I would liked to get my 4 fingers up for copy and four fingers down for paste via BTT back but at this point it seems it might no be possible :(

Also loving Launchpad which is really a surprise to me. I never expected it to be as efficient as it is with "folders" created for categories of apps. I used to use Spotlight to open most apps and although it's still quicker the time difference with Launchpad is not huge so I find myself gravitating towards it these days simply because it feels nicer to select an app rather than type it up.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
For me, it's basically the theme of preserving state in general.

That includes:
- having your workspace look the same after restarting
- programs remembering their document state between restarts of the app, even with unsaved documents
- Document states on disk automatically being up to date (autosave)
- The ability to easily compare different states (versions)
- Quicklook previews zooming interruption-free into the full application view of a document exactly at the right spot, so you're able to continuously focus on the relevant part you were looking at
- similarly in the transition to full-screen e.g. for PDFs: even during the animation, you can continue your reading, since the rest of the view slides smoothly into place

There's more they can do here, and details in the implementation that can be improved on, but Lion seems like a giant leap in the right direction from my point of view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.