Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I recently installed OWC's Mercury Aura Pro Exp., and noticed that system profiler shows that Trim is not supported with this drive. I tried searching Google to see if there is a way to enable it (which you can in Windows 7); however I am not finding anything for this particular SSD. Does anyone know if Trim is supported and is it even necessary on the Air? I am still on Snow Leopard if that makes any difference.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Trim is only supported on Apple SSDs. There is a trim hack available to enable it for non-Apple ssds but the early versions were full of bugs. I know its improved, but I'm not sure how stable it is currently.

Your SSD has a Sandforce controller so there's not really much reason for using Trim. Sandforce makes one of the few controllers where the garbage collection is robust enough that most users don't need trim. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some serious performance drops. Just run a drive benchmarking tool. If you run it again in a few months and the performance is down by some huge number, say 75%, than you need trim.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Trim is only supported on Apple SSDs. There is a trim hack available to enable it for non-Apple ssds but the early versions were full of bugs. I know its improved, but I'm not sure how stable it is currently.

Your SSD has a Sandforce controller so there's not really much reason for using Trim. Sandforce makes one of the few controllers where the garbage collection is robust enough that most users don't need trim. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some serious performance drops. Just run a drive benchmarking tool. If you run it again in a few months and the performance is down by some huge number, say 75%, than you need trim.

Thanks! I'll see how it goes. It seems very fast so I am not worried about. Plus what you said about Sandforce makes me feel a lot better about the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.