PDA

View Full Version : Need help with mac setup

Fernandez21
Aug 9, 2011, 05:18 PM
Ok, well I just got my first mac and have been trying to get all my info over from my pc. I don't have an external hard drive to copy everything over, so I've been trying to use the mac migration tool built into lion. These are my issues.

When I first got my mac, I set it up without migrating to try out the os. After setting everything up I decided to start migrating everything over. But when I did this it created a different profile user account for all the info transferred over. I tried combing the two profiles but couldn't figure it out, so I reformatted the drive and re-installed lion. This time when it started up I went ahead and migrated before setting anything up. Hover I didn't migrate everything because that is 10gbs more than I have available and that it would take like 23hrs. so I picked couple of folders to transfer over, wanted to do it slowly over a couple of days because of how long it would take to transfer most everything over at once. So I transferred everything except pictures, music, videos, and desktop. So now I'm trying to transfer only pictures, planning on doing this one folder at a time, but now it wants to create a new profile again for pictures. I try entering the info for my current profile and it says its already and use and won't let me transfer. How do I go about bring that info over? Am I going to have to reformat again and just do everything that will fit in one run? Also the first time tried that it said it would take 23 hrs to transfer, would it really take that long?

Also since re-installing I keep getting pop ups that mail or safari need a keychain and I need to enter my password, but its happening constantly. Ho do I fix this?

Thanks for your help.

DustinT
Aug 10, 2011, 06:26 AM
The Migration assistant is designed to be used just once. I suppose you can reinstall the OS and allow the migration to complete. Or, you could setup a shared folder on the PC and just move the files over manually. Heck, a USB drive would work too.